LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 195 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, such as sick/vacation days or holiday pay (in 48 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 40 reviews)

"The worst CEO who turned a wonderful company into a total disgrace"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

Don't see them any more.

Cons

The CEO of LLS turned everything upside down in the company. The company lost its honor and respect after this CEO - Klein came to the power. Prior to him, the interpreters were dealt with respect. We used to get gifts every Christmas. With this CEO,we forgot about the gifts.Slowly, but surely we faced rapidly growing disrespect towards us-interpreters from the management. Last year became the worst - our salaries got slashed. I know personally interpreters who got demoted from All-Calls interpreter to Medical Interpreter without any grounds. One interpreter has more advanced degree than any management in LLS, but serves only medical calls instead of All-Calls level the interpreter should be on. The pay also got dramatically reduced. It used to be $0.35/minute,now it is $0.22/minute. The company policy went down to drain. Therefore all the interpreters rushed towards the exit - nobody wants to stay in a trash hole. I only pray that current CEO and the rest of the bloodsuckers will be fired and a new management - a better one will come.

Advice to Management

It is time for the shake up. God will punish you severely for all the injustice you have been doing to the interpreters of LLS.

"GHEAP Executives transmit cheap Metality and Culture down to all MGRS and overhead levels"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None any more before you had the privilege to work from home, but now there are a lot of restrictions that removed that convenience. Now you have to sit full shift with Head phones on the head looking to the screen. Movements restricted by 5 feet cable..
    By VETERINARIAN standards this would be called, as some body else already said. considered animal cruelty.

Cons

No support, it takes 72 Hours to get any response when it should be immediate. and only by SR tickets
    No management easily accessible, you cannot talk to anybody.
    Cheap culture tends to treat Interpreters like trash. even by the lowest clerk.
    Payroll mistakes don't get corrected within the time allowed by the law.
    On top minutes even 1 (one) not worked by the Interpreter for any reason are immediately deducted, from the paycheck, while Interpreter has to work at least 7 minutes over the regular time, before is considered for round up .and payment. That means if you work 6 minutes over the regular time you don't get paid and they pocket the money.

Advice to Management

Think BIG, not cheap, adopt a more pro employees culture, get the Interpreter motivated involved in the goals of the company and adequately compensated, and you will see sales grow many times over..

"Can it get any worse?"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home and 401K with a company match. That's it.

Cons

Where do I begin?..

1. The company treats interpreters as replaceable robots. You don't feel yourself as part of the company. You are more like a cheap labor that was hired for pennies and that is supposed to do the hard work so that the management can reap off millions of $. You get only two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch time. Other than that you are interpreting on a phone non-stop for 8 hours, and don't even have time for a bathroom break.

2. Pay is obnoxious. It's literally almost minimum wage. They entice you first by saying that they pay extra per minute after 30 minutes of interpretation in an hour, however soon after you are hired, they change your pay to a flat rate almost minimum wage ($2 difference). And this is for the job that most of their top management, I am sure, won't be able to do, since consecutive interpretation requires both fluency in two languages, skills AND talent. Not every person who speaks two languages can do consecutive interpretation. Not to mention, that not every person speaks two languages fluently. But the company doesn't care. They think that consecutive interpretation requires same skills and knowledge as flipping burgers in McDonalds.

3. Absolutely no raises, even if you work for them for 15 years, and absolutely no career opportunities. Working for this company, you will stay at the same position with the same minimum wage forever.

4. There is no paid time off or vacation. And in spite of the fact that they pay pennies, taking that unpaid time off is PITA and almost impossible. They have set number of hours per day that can be taken as time off shared by all the interpreters of a certain language. And of course it gets taken pretty fast by somebody, and you are left with nothing. Besides, the number of hours you can take per year is also ridiculously low. As if they are paying for that. While they are not!

5. No paid medical leave either.

6. To prove that you are just a replaceable number, the company doesn't even give you a "normal" email with your name in it. You get an email with your language and ID number. That's it - you are just a number to this company. They don't care.

7. The company does everything to pay you less than you actually worked. Disputes with payroll take literally months and often resolve not in your favor.

8. Though company pays you pennies, you are supposed to pay for your phone line out of your pocket. And they do not allow you to use this phone number for anything else. Ridiculous, right?

I could go on and on...

Advice to Management

What advice can I give? None. Because I am sure that management knows perfectly well all the cons I described, and those cons are part of their business strategy, otherwise they would have been resolved long time ago. They bet on something else (maybe sales?), and interpreters (people who actually do the job) are just low wage slaves that can be easily replaced. Good luck with this strategy. I work at your company and don't care about it at all. And I am sure most of the interpreters feel same way. I have absolutely no desire to stay in your company and once I find an opportunity that pays even a $1 more per hour, I'll leave with no regrets. If that's the culture you want to have at your company and feelings you want your interpreters to have, good luck. Though I am sure, you don't even consider interpreters part of the company, so I guess whatever we think or feel doesn't matter to you anyways.

"interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home. No commute.

Cons

Bad management. No technical support. Too many payroll errors that take months to correct. Employees are treated like slaves.

Advice to Management

Litsen to your interpreters. You may learn something.

"start up job"

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

flexibilty, work from home, schedule

Cons

compensation, training, no co-workers interactions

"Business Developmen"

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

Service they provide to customers (Over the Phone Translation) is stellar.

Cons

Pay is well below industry standards. Very political internal environment. Pay and job responsibilities changed frequently.

"Worst Company Ever"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is to be able to work from home but the purpose is kind of defeated since they introduced video interpretation that is mandatory to preserve you job

Cons

Awful and unruly management practices, they treat you like a robot, under appreciated for our work, the people listening to your call quality do not even speak your language so it makes you wonder how can they accurately rate your calls, pay is mediocre, benefits are atrocious, you have to interact with clients that are very uneducated (wonder how they got a job in the first place), rude and belligerent. Management is always trying to find ways to cut your paycheck even if you have worked your hours. They are stingy, using unlawful tactics and procedures to discourage you. This company needs to get another class action filed against them for mistreating the employees.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the Union will be set in place so you can stop abusing your workers. You guys need to be sued in another class action lawsuit. Good luck!

"Meager Benefits in Comfort of Own Home"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

Work at home on phone but is mandatorily switching everyone to video calls as well; at such time, the only real benefit of rolling off the bed and getting on calls will be gone in the next few months. Calls from a variety of sources so can be interesting.

Cons

Lots of changes in the last 6 months of 2016, therefore, old reviews are no longer valid. The work schedule is not flexible. Once a schedule is set, you cannot change it without formal approval from the company. Company is not willing to work with people though this was one of the big draws.

New and even some old employees are being switched to $13 per hour straight pay with the very minimum labor benefits as required by law. This means, no extra pay for holiday work (yes, holidays like Xmas is just another work day - do not get any national holiday off.) No paid vacation time at all; only 40 hours of Unpaid Time Off per yet. There is 401(k) but no company match. You could get health plan but not the best one so some might do better on monthly premium with Obamacare. Some languages, Russian, Chinese, get very busy so there is no down time during the work hours at call. If you add all these together, the pay is below minimum wage in some states! Besides the 6 hours of paid training before starting work, any other work training is being done in non-work hours - meaning they ain't paying you to train you to work for them. These trainings are not compulsory so that is their excuse.

Advice to Management

They don't care. I am not wasting my time.

"Mandarin Interpreter"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors are retards, and you can build confidence from them

Cons

No paid vacation, no holidays , no paid lunch time, no regular lunch time, if you miss the lunch time because of long time phone call then have to continue to work.
    Very high insurance premium, few benefits
    Some supervisors are just retards and rude because they think they can say anything over phone.
    No raise of salary even though you work over 10 years.

Advice to Management

Treat employee like regular employees in a company, and build a culture it, otherwise you will not keep good employees ..

"Interpreter"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No Pros At All! Shameful and disgraceful criminal management that violates employees rights! Stay away from this hell called "Sweatshop Solutions"! Waste of time, life, and potential for talented language professionals!

Cons

This company is a good example of forced communist labor when it comes to exploiting interpreters, but on the executive-team level, it is a greedy, thirsty, money-mongering and profit-maximizing capitalist machine. Lower than minimum wages, per-minute pay for interpreters' hard labor abolished, overtime paid the same as minimum wage, no compensation for missed meal or rest breaks, no paid time off, no paid sick leave. Despotic company culture towards interpreters. The company uses an awkward, ineffective platform to slavishly serve its customers for customers to pay for interpreters' talent, customer service, and professional efforts, yet the company mistreats, neglects, and abuses interpreters, showing ignorance and disrespect to the professionals whose labor it reaps.

Advice to Management

Go to hell!