Luma Pictures Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Luma Pictures Reviews

Updated 5 Feb 2020

3.3
Luma Pictures President / CEO Payam Shohadai (no image)
Payam Shohadai
Pros
  • "they have a dedicated culture team that takes good care of the artists(in 11 reviews)

• "Interdepartmental conversation is strongly encourage also, which is a breath of fresh air compared to some studios(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The pipeline isn't the worst I've experienced but it needs to be rethought(in 6 reviews)

• "High intensity and high turnover (of shows and shots), and that comes with some OT, especially at crunch time(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for less than a year

Pros

staff, work environment, flexible schedule

Cons

location, upper management, lots of different personalities

Luma Pictures2020-02-06
  2. "Cool place"

Current Employee - Lighting Artist in Melbourne

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for 2 years now, Luma is a cool/small studio with good projects, the environment is good, the culture department is really active, so we have events and parties quiet often, and they treat as really good. As is a small studio, you have direct contact with the supervisors which is really good to me, you can grow as an artist.

Cons

They payment is not the best, and sometime they take too long to give you answers about salary raise and this kind of matters.

Luma Pictures2019-06-23

"Great culture and brilliant people"

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

Great company culture. Literally every single person I worked with whilst I was there was brilliant. Normally, there's at least one person who's about as much use socially as merengue life-jacket, but everyone was lovely. You get taken care of with regards to food and all that sort of thing. And, as over-time goes, it's pretty tame compared to places like Weta Digital.

Cons

The budgeting of funds spent on events and other work-related expenses is sometimes a bit confusing. Spending a heap of money on something that could quite easily have been half the price. Environmentally, it's not as cutting-edge as it should be. The company is at the forefront of VFX, but the amount of food and energy wastage is pretty insane. This aspect of the company isn't really in keeping with the image that they're trying to cultivate.

Luma Pictures2019-01-15
  4. "A good place to start your career"

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

-Fun company culture -The people are warm and inviting -Plenty of food/snack options -Opportunity to work on blockbusters including Marvel films

Cons

-hourly pay is below industry standards -conversion to full time and promotions are difficult

Luma Pictures2018-10-08

"digital artist"

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

free trips and great culture

Cons

low pay and no career advancement - you might as well work in Bangalore

Luma Pictures2018-08-26

"Good as a short term job"

in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Luma Pictures for less than a year

Pros

* Free unlimited snacks * Great Location * Many food options around

Cons

* Company culture is off. You're either part of the clique or you're seen as an "odd ball". Very high schoolish mentality * You're almost required to hang out with everyone after work. If not, you'll seem like an outsider

Luma Pictures2018-08-02

"they pretend to be a cool place to work..."

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

good shows, free snacks, good location.

Cons

Too much OT. They can't manage work properly so you end up doing a lot of unpaid overtime. They don't provide accommodation so its up to an artist to find a place to live which can be hard if you coming from another country. They constantly re-assign shots. They say they are "mates and not colleagues" but its not true - nobody wants to hang out, everyone is too exhausted or they just don't care, they never gonna be your mates.

Luma Pictures2018-08-12

Luma Pictures Response

August 14, 2018Head of Culture

Thanks for your feedback. It's disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with us and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know. As always, we try and take this feedback on and improve the way we do things. We would like to clarify a few points on your feedback about OT being unpaid. Both studios have a structure in place where if you are an artist, all overtime is compensated for. In LA, it is based on the Californian labor laws and is paid out every two weeks along with your regular payroll payments. In Melbourne, we work on a TOIL (Time Off In Lieu) system whereby you accumulate each hour that you work past 6:00pm. Our employees all have the option of getting this paid out each quarter or keeping it as TOIL so the they can use it for extended vacation time off or for any other days they wish to utilise the hours. In the event that your contract ends before you're able to use the TOIL hours, it will always be paid out to you in full at the end of your contract period. In reference to your feedback about accomodation, our recruiting team always provides the option of a relocation package which financially assists your move to either Melbourne or LA. We also have a team that are always happy to help you find accomodation options - but we'll definitely do a better of job of letting new starters know that the help is there if needed! We're sorry if these processes weren't made clear to you at the commencement of your employment with Luma. If you're open to it, we welcome you to reach out to us so we can continue receiving feedback from you. You can drop us a line - feedback@lumapictures.com

Continue reading

"Luma Pictures - Anonymous Review"

I worked at Luma Pictures

Pros

I worked at Luma Pictures at the Melbourne studio for a short term contract. Here were my following impressions while working there: - Friendly staff and colleagues - Nice and open environment with all the desks grouped into circles so it's not rows like a factory. - Nice variety of culture events including regular snack bar and afternoon snack break, Friday night drinks too. - A great outdoor deck to view the city.

Cons

- Lack of documentation to help artists with their work and you do need to rely on asking for help all the time when you first start out at the studio. - Delayed communication between the Melbourne and LA studio which causes issues with receiving feedback and knowing if your contract is going to be extended. - Early morning start at 8am is not the most ideal time to start work.

Luma Pictures2018-06-28

"compositor"

I worked at Luma Pictures part-time

Pros

great place to learn and grow.

Cons

long hours as most VFX places

Luma Pictures2018-06-04

"All work and no time off to be seen"

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is that the company does work on some exciting projects.

Cons

Expected to work all the time (over 60 hours a week) for very little pay. Management is very unprofessional and workers are treated very poorly. There is no job stability. A blind eye is given to bullying and harassment.

Continue reading
    Luma Pictures2018-06-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 55 reviews