Luma Pictures Employee Reviews about "ot"

Updated 10 Jan 2021

3.8
Luma Pictures President / CEO Payam Shohadai (no image)
Payam Shohadai
Pros
  • "The culture team comes up with some nice activities once in a while(in 13 reviews)

• "Luma is in South Melbourne city fringe suburb with everything you need close by(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "I wish they knew what it is like to work in other studios because they deserve to be treated better(in 8 reviews)

• "I do not agree with it being a "frat house", but i do feel the "friendly/approachable" culture isnt genuine amoungst higher management(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "ot"

Return to all Reviews

"TOXIC COMPANY"

1.0
    Former Employee - Staff in Melbourne

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some great projects go through the Mel studio

Cons

- Company uses great projects to lure in Junior staff for low pay. - Public humiliation and bullying/belittling creating a fear driven studio structure. - Artist status updates needed every hour or till you turn blue in the face, killing the creative process and experience for artists. - Leads and supervisors pressured to operate in the same way, creating a perpetually toxic work environment for artists. - A lack of credit is shared amongst teams for successful work and projects completed, the favoured staff take it. - A lot of long term employees at this company are heavily ego driven which made working here day to day very unpleasant. - Be ready for major OT, followed by lots of tears. - Extreme levels of staff monitoring and control

2. "Great company"

4.0
    Current Employee - 3D Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

Cool, high profile projects, great people and culture

Cons

High quality work must be produced at a fast pace which can be stressful at times

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Pipeline Technical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

excellent employees, thoughtful vision, good work culture, cutting edge technology

Cons

not very many cons at all, the company is lean which means everyone works hard and unless you set boundaries you'll work too hard.

4. "MELBOURNE STUDIO ARTIST"

Current Employee - Roto/Paint Artist in Melbourne

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and the work really make this place. You will work on projects that you will be proud of, blockbusters and great smaller films. With a small studio, you get alot of opportunities to branch out and challenge yourself. Ive had the pleasure of working on range of comps and mattepaintings while a paint artist. The growth you get from a place like this is exponential compared to bigger studios. The real thing that keeps me loving my job is the people I work with, the culture team are a fantastic friendly group, my team mates are all great people, some now very close friends I will keep forever, the leads are all very competent and talented individuals, the VFX Sup raises the bar on quality and talent personally for each artist. And a big shout out to the Roto/Paint Lead!!

Cons

The amount of work and the deadlines, you will have times when you might feel overwhealmed, and turn arounds will need to be quick. Its not for everyone, but if you are looking to be challenged and see yourself grow, then you will enjoy the level of work we push out here. Its a smaller studio than others, so you will be responsible for more with your shots than other places. Come ready for a challenge

5. COVID-19

"Great Studio - even during the difficulties with Covid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management that cares, great artists and teams that have worked together for a long time - not a single layoff or reduced hours during covid. Highend work, and amazing pipeline.

Cons

Very intense day, extremely high expectations for delivering top tier work.

6. "Great place"

Current Employee - Culture and Operations Coordinator in Melbourne

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time

Pros

Great work place and people

Cons

None at this time come to mind.

"Terrible. Stay away."

1.0
    Former Employee - Artist in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice Projects to work. free snacks. free drinks.

Cons

I don't know where to start. - Probably one of the vfx studios where you should stay away, one of the worst in whole industry. - I worked there for several months and wanted to leave after the first week. the word WEIRD would be an understatement. - they start at 8 am with the reviews, and brief where your brain does not have time to fuel, asking you how long you will take to complete the shot, and when you can delivery a version..( you didn't start check your task yet and had breakfast.) In the studio they physically have a gong that they play at lunchtime, welcome back to preschool again. if you arrive 10 minutes late, it doesn't matter if you didn't take your lunch break to deliver shots, they threaten you not to pay yourself. practically a frat house, except someone nobody is sociable and everyone is on his own, even during the lunch break in the common areas nobody talks to anyone, especially if you are the newcomer nobody has the courtesy to come and exchange two words with you, there are bad vibes in the studio, a lot of artist look frustrated, but everyone laughs at the supervisor's jokes, probably to don't look like a looser. They pretend you to participate in ridiculous internal competitions to win stupid prizes, nobody does it willingly, people do it only to make themselves appear nice in the eyes of the studio, almost everyone hates these things. the production most of the time is incompetent, and the stress level is practically sky high, they stress you every 10, 5 , 3 minutes asking you where you are with the version and when you can deliver a new version, and they pretend that you finish everything by 5 because they don't want to pay OT . they don't let you stay in the studio even to be able to study the pipelines in the beginning as there is practically no time to do it. inside the studio you are worth less than zero, non-existent possibility of professional growth, and even if you are a senior or mid, they consider you as a junior, giving you ridiculous shots or shot of other people, paying you as a junior, but pretending that make it as a senior. Ridiculous. they make you do dozens of changes on already approved shots that magically go back. the production doesn't even consider you, a lot of time they don't answer to your questions and they can fire you without giving any explanations, Supervisor and lead doesn't help your work and most of the time they are not really happy to help you and as artists you don't have the opportunity to work in a calm way as you do in other studio, they squeeze you with unjustified psychological violence to have as many shots as possible to deliver at the end of the day, no one understand why have this pressure on the artist, the only plausible reason is that they make money with their clients in this way. almost all the people who work in there have had very little experience with other studios and are convinced that they are practically the best in the sector. many of the outsiders who worked for Luma left shortly after. unfortunately the rumors about this company are all true and sooner or later they will find themselves without artists to negotiate if they don't change their way of thinking., in my opinion if there were not some supervisors in command the company could be saved, but again that's what they deserve. I wouldn't even work there again for twice the salary.

"Health is wealth"

2.0

I worked at Luma Pictures

Pros

I have to say that the artists are very friendly and welcoming. As a small studio, the quality of work being produced is amazing. The culture team comes up with some nice activities once in a while.

Cons

The hours are very long. Their artists health isn’t their main priority - but to have something delivered to the clients the following day. Marvel, being one of their long term clients - they really don’t care whether you had worked until 4-5 AM. Most were expected to come to work on time after 4 hours on the same day. I salute the people who are still there but at the same time, I feel really bad for them. I wish they knew what it is like to work in other studios because they deserve to be treated better.

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Luma Pictures full-time for less than a year

Pros

staff, work environment, flexible schedule

Cons

location, upper management, lots of different personalities

10. "Cool place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lighting Artist in Melbourne

I have been working at Luma Pictures full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for 2 years now, Luma is a cool/small studio with good projects, the environment is good, the culture department is really active, so we have events and parties quiet often, and they treat as really good. As is a small studio, you have direct contact with the supervisors which is really good to me, you can grow as an artist.

Cons

They payment is not the best, and sometime they take too long to give you answers about salary raise and this kind of matters.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 English Reviews