Lush Employee Reviews about "shop floor"

Updated Jan 25, 2021

Found 27 of over 1,165 reviews

3.7
Lush CEO Mark Constantine
Mark Constantine
Pros
  • "Living wage, 50% discount, good vibes(in 107 reviews)

• "Good products, great staff discount, great team(in 54 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some issues in management, long hours at Christmas(in 18 reviews)

• "Stressed customers, busy shop floor and learning info about products(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "shop floor"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0

Temps Treated Poorly

Jan 25, 2021 - Part-Time Christmas - Temp Position in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a fun job interacting with customers and dealing with a busy shop-floor. I really got on with many of my fellow temps.

Cons

Managers often failed to remember that we were temps and hadn't done the job for years and years. Managers also favoured permanent staff over temps, leaving little room for temps to shine. Additionally, the pressure of various sales targets often got the better of managers to the detriment of the team.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Contractor

Ups and downs

Nov 26, 2020 - Retail Assistant in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training was really good and was always available. Pay is living wage,

Cons

Competitive shop floor, staff was cliquey, some of the management team were harsh and off putting. One manager in particular liked to play mind games and follow you around the shop floor and tell other managers if you weren’t “doing your job”, even when no customers were around

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Nov 4, 2020 - Staff
      Business Outlook

Pros

friendly, inclusive, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

late night hours, early starts, busy shop floor

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I was constantly sparkly, smelt great but not without stepping out my comfort zone to push sales.

Aug 10, 2020 - Sales Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people! They become like family - customers and employees. The products, the ethics etc etc are all fab as well. The discount too!

Cons

They are unlike any other retail job. The pride of luxury customer service can sometimes be difficult as pressure mounts/there’s regimented responses to your individual success/failures. Sometimes being 100% happy/smiley on the shop floor while pushing the most expensive gift box at a customer can drain you but it’s a sales job and that’s what you’re there to do.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fast paced but lots of fun

Jul 20, 2020 - Christmas Temporary Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff, feedback culture and incentives

Cons

Stressed customers, busy shop floor and learning info about products

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Invaluable training - a demanding but quirky place to work!

May 20, 2020 - Sales Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The sales/customer service training is invaluable and so thorough. You really feel ‘ready’ for your first day on the shop floor and this training has carried with me in multiple job roles.

Cons

If you’re not an extrovert, you might find working at Lush intense. Expect to have to approach customers who don’t want to be approached, and expect to potentially have to approach them multiple times (depending on your supervisor).

7. 3.0

Soapy Popularity Contest

Feb 21, 2020 - Christmas Sales Assistant in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Training excellent and paid for. -You'll meet some pretty cool people - but will rarely get to spend time with them to bond as a team. -Interview expectations clearly outlined via email. -Good about pronouns. -Relaxed uniform in regards to piercings/shoes/hair colour. -Free stuff (damaged products). -Good temp role hours wise.

Cons

It is a popularity contest. I brought a notebook and pen and a supervisor had to tell me outside of work that this felt threatening to some of the newer supervisors, like I was out to get their role. I was constantly taken aside - and some of the comments were fair game like how I spoke on the shop floor - but then I noticed that other supervisors spoke that way anyway but were always reporting what you told them to management - either in conversation or related to work. If they don't like you, you're doomed to fail. So if you're autistic, as I am, make sure you're EXCELLENT at blending in. You will need to. I was instructed to keep my head down and did so - making some excellent sales and yet was still voted out (which they do by the way, and constantly hang it above your heads "be nice to your supervisors because they're the ones voting to keep you in"). It was interesting that the temps they kept on were very submissive in nature and YOUNG as well. I was one of the oldest at 23 and most people they kept on were 16. I did ask for feedback, but strangely the manager hasn't gotten back to me despite promising to do so in late January. Perhaps it was to do with my sales, but more likely due to the fact that she didn't like me. Lush is also rather pushy with getting you to touch people in order to demo the products. They prefer you to say "can you give me your hand?" and then for you to put the product on rather than asking the customer for consent: eg. "would you like to try this on your skin?" . They don't even like you to ask about allergies because "we don't want to give the impression that our products are reactive and usually customers will tell you straight up." How can they though, if we just slap anything onto their skin?

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 25, 2019 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is welcome to work here. Flexibility in shifts. Positive shop floor atmosphere

Cons

Dependant on shop- may not be enough hours to suit needs

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lakeside branch- awful. Management are under qualified and don’t understand how to manage a shop and their staff.

May 29, 2019 - Sales Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and 50% off products. Free stuff sometimes Less boring than most retail jobs, mostly because of all the drama you’ll witness.

Cons

Worked there for 2 years and couldn’t get a full time contract when I needed one and had been asking for a year and then the manager would advertise part time jobs instead of giving her already trained and devoted staff members the hours they need. Very cliquey and you won’t get respect unless you brown nose everyone no matter how good you are at your job. Expectations of you are too high without any real incentives or encouragement. Feedback is vague and it’s like management will just splurt absolute crap about how to improve just for the sake of it because they don’t actually know or understand how to help you. They are hypocrites, for example they will go on about how they don’t want sales assistants to group and chat when the store is quiet however will stand out the back and drink tea and chat amongst themselves just because they can. They also chat on the shop floor as well as this. They chat about staff members negatively and unprofessionally which I have personally witnessed on many many occasions. Management go out for cigarette breaks even though they’re not supposed to. Required to go to staff meetings one Sunday morning of every month even if you don’t work on that Sunday. I was made to come in for the staff meeting even though I was suffering with an illness at the time even though the staff meeting was absolutely pointless anyway as it was about in store parties so everyone had to play party games and I was sat on a chair in the corner because I was ill. One staff member was made to travel home from his holiday to make a staff meeting and was threatened with a disciplinary if he didn’t. This doesn’t apply for all branches but for the Lakeside branch, management doesn’t have the consciousness for the ethics of Lush the way she should do. For example, there were absolutely loads of the Christmas bath bomb bags left over from Christmas and we’re supposed to use them all up because they would go to waste if we didn’t (obviously) but management decided she didn’t want them anymore so just stopped using them and replaced them with the new all year round ones that were delivered so the copious amount of boxes of Christmas bath bomb bags were left with no use which is just wasteful for no reason. These are just a few points and I could go on all day about my experience but frankly I can’t be bothered to devote any of my time even thinking about it so overall just a horrible and toxic place to work and I would stay away for the sake of your mental health.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Management have their favourites

Mar 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is popular and the 50% staff discount is worth it. Along with new release boxes and we had lots of training.

Cons

The management was very unprofessional, actively pulling people off the shop floor to shout at them and always praising their favourites. There was extreme pressure to upsell and be happy 24/7 which can become very mentally draining. Christmas was awful, there was no space to even breathe and so much pressure from management with little or no praise for making it through the busiest days of the year. The atmosphere felt very 'catty' at times with many managers acting like schoolgirls.

5 people found this review helpful