Make-A-Wish Foundation Reviews

Updated 17 Jun 2020

3.6
Make-A-Wish Foundation CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
Pros
  • "Great company to work for with a great mission(in 30 reviews)

• "To top it off, everything we do comes back to our mission of granting life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Non-profit so interns dont get paid(in 30 reviews)

• "I have no cons for this internship(in 20 reviews)

1. "Very happy at Make-A-Wish"

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation

Pros

I was very happy as an intern here. I was treated with respect and not made to feel inferior. I felt valued and that the staff cared about my contributions, as well as making the summer internship a learning experience for me.

Cons

As an intern, I was not paid, which was difficult.

"Salesforce Developer"

1.0

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation full-time

Pros

There is nothing at all

Cons

No Ethics for employee as well

3. "Volunteer"

Former Employee - Public Relations Executive in Pune
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and friendly atmosphere. The team there was well managed. It was nice to work with them. I was really happy to see the fulfillment of wishes of the children.

Cons

I was there for a very small period of time. But I don't have any negative experience. It was a rewarding experience. But I wish that there be more opportunity to move up, from chapter level to national level.

4. "Great Mission, Great Culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Make-A-Wish Foundation full-time

Pros

Culture, Team Oriented, Mission, Opinions Matter, Professional Development

Cons

Resource allocation to volunteer departments could improve as to better serve our volunteer base

5. "Nice"

Former Employee - Development

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation full-time

Pros

Nice people who mean well

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement

6. "Development Manager-9 year employee"

2.0
    Senior Business Development Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation

Pros

Granting wishes for sick kids. Working with community volunteers.

Cons

Upper management lack integrity. Double standard for managers who take the glory for all the hard work the program people do. Donations are not guaranteed to stay local even if they tell you they do.

Continue reading
  7. "Inspiring Mission and Amazing People! (National Office)"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Make-A-Wish Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Stellar Leadership: From the Director level all the way up through the CEO, the leadership at Make-A-Wish is empowering, supportive and inspiring. We are in an amazing period of growth and change (challenging the status quo) and because of the leadership, we feel empowered as staff to be part of that change. * The People: Every single person I work with is dedicated to the mission, assumes best intent of their fellow staff member (making a culture of collaboration and support), and provides extremely high quality of work. They also are genuinely nice and caring about each other as people. This may sound like a small thing, but it's so refreshing and makes it feel even more like we are one big team, working together to achieve the same goals and vision. * The Mission: It's so nice at the end of the day to be part of a mission to grant wishes - bringing hope and joy to our wish kids and their families. I hear at least one story a day that makes me beam with pride that I get to be even a small part of that. * Education Opportunities: Our HR and Strategy teams are dedicated to ensuring that our staff get the ability to train on process, communication and leadership. I have grown so much as a staff member because of this - it's invaluable! I have earned my LEAN Six Sigma yellow and green belts, gotten to take several leadership classes on leading my staff and being a self-leader (meaning that we all are leaders, even if we don't manage staff). We also have had sessions on "fierce communications," walking us through working better together (including having tough conversations when we need to) through better communication. * Work/Life Balance: For most roles in the organization, there is incredible work/life balance. Some roles do require hours outside of the traditional 8-5 day, but that's true anywhere. More so than any other place I have worked, people respect your personal time and your vacation time.

Cons

* Upward Movement: The only con is that there is no guarantee of upward movement within the organization and it can take a long time to happen, but I feel this is true of most organizations. I have seen in more recent years many more internal promotions and giving staff the opportunity to take on more responsibilities, but for someone looking for a fast track to promotions, this may not be the organization for you. I find great joy in the regular challenges I get to take on and have been promoted since I started but it just can't be an assumption. Those that are good with challenging themselves to do more and strive higher without the necessary guarantee of a title/salary promotion will thrive here.

8. "Good"

Former Employee - Fund Development Manager

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation full-time

Pros

Great work environment and great cause

Cons

Low pay And not a lot of advancement opportunities

9. "AMAZING!"

Current Employee - Marketing & Communications Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Make-A-Wish Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is so kind-hearted and helpful - You get to meet so many amazing people! - So much to learn!

Cons

- Nothing! This place is absolutely incredible!

Continue reading
  10. "Make a wish"

Former Employee - Wish Granter

I worked at Make-A-Wish Foundation part-time

Pros

Very nice to help people

Cons

There was no cons for this job.

Found 221 reviews