McCarthy & Holthus Reviews

Updated 11 Jan 2021

3.1
McCarthy & Holthus Founding Partners Thomas J. Holthus, Kevin R. McCarthy (no image)
Thomas J. Holthus, Kevin R. McCarthy
Pros
  • "A laid-back office, casual dress code and friendly people(in 14 reviews)

• "The dress code is casual, so getting ready for work in the morning is not a huge hassle(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, company doesn't care about their employees(in 14 reviews)

• "Won’t receive help from upper management(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Surviving the pandemic"

4.0

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

There was a substantial amount of belt-tightening due to the pandemic, but the firm went to great effort to try and keep as many people employed either through new roles or alternate temporary employment.

Cons

With so many people in new or different roles, combined with significant amounts of remote work, the firm hasn't done much to keep a sense of community between displaced employees.

January 12, 2021Administrator

Thank you for posting this favorable review. As everyone is aware, we are experiencing unprecedented times during this COVID crisis. The executives and management team at the firm have had to make very difficult decisions to keep our business alive. You are correct that a new challenge in this environment is maintaining employee engagement. We have taken steps to help facilitate communications to all our staff through the use of MS Teams chat and video conferencing tools. We are also looking at other platforms that integrate with Teams to help disseminate employee to employee and public recognition. We are looking forward to things returning to some sense of normalcy and have frequent discussions at senior management levels on how things will look when they do. We are committed to and have been planning for resumption of business and believe we will need many of these tools going forward to better communicate and engage with our staff.

2. "It really depends"

2.0
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

I had a lot of independence,

Cons

Lack of communication and collaboration between departments. Low morale. Poor pay.

January 12, 2021Administrator

We very much appreciate the time you dedicated to working at McCarthy & Holthus and value your constructive feedback. We believe our compensation and benefits package is fair and competitive with other employers in our various locations and specific industry. In addition to base compensation, management looks for opportunities to award spot bonuses to employees who have displayed outstanding performance. We are always open to suggestions from all employees on how we might improve our compensation packages and do welcome all recommendations. We encourage all employees to bring their concerns and dissatisfactions to anyone in a leadership role so that we might better understand what we can do to continuously improve.

3. "N/A"

Former Employee - Senior Legal Specialist in Columbus, OH
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Flexible, great PTO, understanding managers

Cons

Low pay and a lot of work

January 12, 2021Administrator

We appreciate your favorable review and very much appreciate the time you dedicated to working at McCarthy & Holthus and value your constructive feedback. We believe our compensation and benefits package is fair and competitive with other employers in our various locations and specific industry. In addition to base compensation, management looks for opportunities to award spot bonuses to employees who have displayed outstanding performance. We are always open to suggestions from all employees on how we might improve our compensation packages and do welcome all recommendations. We encourage all employees to bring their concerns and dissatisfactions to anyone in a leadership role so that we might better understand what we can do to continuously improve.

4. "Good Job for experience, not a permanent solution"

2.0
    Current Employee - Paralegal in San Diego, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Casual dress, good PTO, mellow work environment

Cons

Low pay, company doesn't care about their employees

January 12, 2021Administrator

We appreciate your favorable review and positive comments about our work environment and PTO policy. We also appreciate the time you dedicated to working at McCarthy & Holthus and value your constructive feedback. We want to provide an environment that promotes employee engagement and allows employees to be successful at their jobs. We have taken great strides in working with managers across our organization to facilitate engagement initiatives for our staff and promote a comfortable environment that that is conducive to productivity and happy employees. We believe our compensation and benefits package is fair and competitive with other employers in our various locations and specific industry. In addition to base compensation, management looks for opportunities to award spot bonuses to employees who have displayed outstanding performance. We are always open to suggestions from all employees on how we might improve our compensation packages and do welcome all recommendations. We encourage all employees to bring their concerns and dissatisfactions to anyone in a leadership role so that we might better understand what we can do to continuously improve. We make every effort to make McCarthy and Holthus a great place to work.

5. "OK Company"

Former Employee - Computer Operator

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Very good boss! Very good colleagues!

Cons

Low Salary and a lot of Micromanagement

October 5, 2020Administrator

Thank you for the positive comments about our firm. We put a lot of effort into developing our managers to promote our core values and to keep our employees engaged and feeling valued. We are sorry to hear you feel your compensation was not where you would have liked it. We believe our compensation and benefits package is fair and competitive with other employers in our various locations and specific industry. In addition to base compensation, management looks for opportunities to award spot bonuses to employees who have displayed outstanding performance. We encourage all staff to provide feedback to their managers about compensation if they are not satisfied. Our senior management team works very hard to ensure that all management levels maintain oversight of their specific areas, address problems appropriately and treat employees fairly. We appreciate all our employees who help contribute to the success of our firm.

6. "Work experience"

Former Employee - Computer Operator in Timişoara

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time for more than a year

Pros

great environment, nice experience, good working conditions

Cons

low salary, bad communication between coworkers

October 19, 2020Administrator

We appreciate your feedback regarding communication with your coworkers and on your compensation. We are also appreciative of you positive feedback about our working environment. We pride ourselves on creating an environment that is conducive to getting work done but also allowing our employees to be successful in a place they enjoy being. We believe our compensation and benefits package is fair and competitive with other employers in our various locations and specific industry. In addition to base compensation, management looks for opportunities to award spot bonuses to employees who have displayed outstanding performance. We are always open to suggestions from all employees on how we might improve our compensation packages and do welcome all recommendations. Since we are a multijurisdictional firm with staff in many departments and working from various states, we know that communication is a challenge. We continuously work with managers on communication and making every effort to ensure we are making information available to staff at all levels. We encourage all staff to bring their concerns and dissatisfactions to anyone in a leadership role so that we might better understand what we can do to improve employees’ experience.

7. COVID-19

"Great firm, but the the law of law is not for everybody"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent compensation package for attorneys, good firm culture, caring management and attractive benefits. The firm really does feel like it is working as a team.

Cons

The firm represents lending institutions and loan servicing companies. They can be a royal pain in the neck and the type of work can be a bit tedious. You really need to be wired to do creditor work if you join this firm.

October 5, 2020Administrator

We really appreciate you taking the time to provide this positive feedback. We make every effort to be competitive with our compensation packages and benefits. Our leadership team strives to keep our employees engaged and and to maintain a team environment. These have been very challenging times for the firm and our Executive team has tried to make the best decisions possible to keep the firm in a financial stable position. We appreciate all our employees who help contribute to the success of our firm and want to do our best to keep staff employed.

8. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant (Title Department) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Hours are fairly flexible as long as you get your work done. - Management is very supportive and understanding. - Upper management makes you feel valued and part of the team. - Working here provides the opportunity to network with professionals all over the United States

Cons

- No WIFI (which is understandable for security reasons). - Parking.

July 15, 2020Administrator

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. Our leadership team strives to keep our employees engaged and valued. We understand that parking is a challenge in the areas in which we have offices and make every effort to support this problem. In some instances we lease additional parking from surrounding buildings when and where it is available. We appreciate all our employees who help contribute to the success of our firm.

9. "Great office"

Current Employee - Attorney in Seattle, WA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Great support, skilled attorneys, interesting practice

Cons

Some staff lack training, tech could be better

July 15, 2020Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback. We would agree that we have many skilled attorneys in our firm and all bring a lot of value. We also appreciate the constructive comments relating to staff training. We have always attempted to provide adequate training to all staff and realize more can be done. We have various initiatives to focus on training once business is more back to normal. With respect to technology, we feel we have a very robust case management system that integrates efficiently with many third party systems. We would be very interested to hear your ideas on where se might improve further. Thank you again for the positive review.

"Was Great While it Laster"

1.0
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

The coworkers are fantastic to work with. I love them as they try to support each other.

Cons

You cannot trust the management. They mislead and lie to employees. The distrust between them is unbearable. The executives treat everyone beneath them as replaceable.

July 15, 2020Administrator

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding your coworkers and the team environment we like to maintain. We would like to hear more about your bad experiences with management. Our senior management team works very hard to ensure that all management levels maintain oversight of their specific areas, address problems appropriately and treat employees fairly. We encourage all staff to bring their concerns and dissatisfactions to anyone in a leadership role so that we might better understand what we can do to improve the work environment and employee satisfaction. We encourage you to express your specific concerns to senior management so that we can have a discussion on how we might help make your experience working with McCarthy & Holthus more enjoyable.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 100 English Reviews