MediaMath Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 19, 2021

Found 75 of over 401 reviews

3.1
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "CEO is fired up and believes MediaMath can be a winner in the market(in 71 reviews)

• "Pretty flexible, good work-life balance(in 65 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I can’t imagine the recent positive reviews on this site for MediaMath are real(in 39 reviews)

• "there are definitely some growing pains(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0

It's a sinking ship

Oct 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

*used* to be a great company. I think they have the potential to get back there but it doesn't seem like SLT is focused on making this a great place to work, anymore

Cons

company isn't doing great, people have been leaving left & right. Many initiatives to "support" mental health yet letting people go due to anxieties that the company is creating. Any of the positive reviews, particularly post pandemic, are added by HR to offset all the negatives. Honestly it's a very volatile environment where all they care about is the bottom line since they are bleeding money. Used to be a great place to work with great work/life balance & fun company culture, but that is no more There's a reason why there's 120 job openings right now, and it's not because they're growing.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Aug 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office environment at WTC Unlimited PTO All kinds of free food & happy hour Work life Balance

Cons

Overall is really good, the only thing I can think of would be culture not that diverse.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great learning opportunities, great people, less than stellar corporate vision

Aug 31, 2021 - Client Service Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Great clients Great learning opportunities

Cons

Lack of work life balance unrealistic expectations of employees Less than stellar senior leadership

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not all companies are good!

Jun 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for people who want to learn and work in a high-paced environment. Good start for a junior or intern to gain real-world job experience. Diverse engineering teams.

Cons

The company follows 4P policy: Poor Work-Life Balance - No lunch, meetings all day. Open PTO is a lie Poor Salary - No bonus. No raise. Poor Tech - No room for innovation. Copy the competitors. Hire a bunch of contractors to focus on building things cheap and fast. Poor Management - Lack of compassion, empathy. Inexperienced with managing people.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0

Frustrating

Feb 2, 2021 - Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-People are awesome. Made some of my best friends here & brilliant coworkers. -Culture was A+ before the pandemic & leadership switch -Pretty flexible, good work-life balance. Common in tech companies -Good opp to learn a lot if you apply yourself.

Cons

-SLT talks to employees but doesn't talk with them. Would be much better if they could have an honest discussion with their employees, especially in 2020, instead of being hush hush. -Tries to do too many things. Caters to whatever clients ask to make $; unfocused. -Cheap when it comes to salaries & bonuses. -Extremely difficult to get promoted unless you have a stellar manager. -Do not seem to care to retain the good folks. -Continuously compare themselves to a company that is public, makes 6x the revenue and has triple the manpower. It's not realistic. -Far too many re-orgs. -Some teams have a very toxic culture.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Once a great company, now not so much

Sep 9, 2020 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits - Good people / culture - Good work life balance

Cons

- No personal growth unless you know someone. Experience does not matter - Uncompetitive salary - no yearly pay rise (maybe limited to certain offices and/or people) - People jumping from one depart to another with no experience into senior positions. It is quite demoralising to see - It feels like there are more VP's and directors than individual contributors - VERY US centric - Constant production issues - the engineering teams try their best to keep a broken product running. Releases often lead to production issues - Leadership are interested in pushing out new products/features when the time should be spent on fixing/optimising the current state of the product The company has not been the same since the well publicised 2016 layoffs. There have been regular cuts to budgets/benefits since then. I personally do not trust the vast majority of these positive reviews.

3 people found this review helpful

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for providing your feedback. We want to be sure we adequately respond to your feedback point by point and welcome the opportunity to talk even further. First, we’re glad to hear that during your time with us you had a good experience with your colleagues and enjoyed our benefits. We do put a lot of thought and intention into our culture and strive to foster a healthy work-life balance across the company. As part of our focus on continually improving the experience of all of our employees, we recently hired a new Chief People Officer. Among her areas of focus for the near term is evaluating our overall promotion and compensation practices to ensure we are promoting fair practices throughout the organization. We do take pride in our internal mobility program as we think it is a great opportunity for our employees to stretch and flex their transferable skills into new roles and learn along the way, reflecting onf one of our core values: “Obsess Over Learning and Growth.” While we always try to align our internal transfers to ensure their skills and abilities match the position, your feedback is a helpful for us to be hyper focused on ensuring that our transfers are adequately equipped to succeed in their new roles and ensure our teams are properly staffed. Over the past 24 months, we have implemented a new engineering organizational structure aimed to ensure our people have a dedicated leader focused on their growth; in doing so most of our engineers find themselves in individual contributor roles with a small number of VPs managing people. We are also continuing to invest in our global growth and recently welcomed a UK-based Chief Client Officer. Our technology leadership team is committed to focusing on the improvement of our technology and release process to best serve our clients. In the interest of continual improvement, we will certainly bring this feedback to our head of engineering. Our leadership team is committed, now more than ever, to transparency and is open and willing to discuss ongoing issues through our weekly global all hands meetings and opportunities to ask questions openly and anonymously. Like many companies, 2020 has presented vast and unanticipated challenges and we did instate a 10% pay-cut across the board, including all leadership team members. We were open and transparent about this pay-cut and also prioritized the reinstatement of salaries to non-leadership positions first. (We are now happy to say that we have reinstated salaries across the company!) Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Learned a lot but very little work/life balance

Jun 24, 2020 - Anonymous in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a fast-paced and constantly evolving industry, which provided great learning opportunities. MediaMath has a lot of smart people, and I enjoyed collaborating with individuals across different business units.

Cons

There was very little work/life balance. There were not enough resources for the volume of work.

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you experienced learning opportunities and enjoyed collaborating with Mathletes across the business. Though we are continuously evaluating our business and resourcing needs as we work to transform our company, there are times in which we all experience heavier workloads. At the same time, we aim to provide employees with flexibility and a healthy work/life balance, so we’re disappointed to hear that you did not experience that quality of life at MediaMath. We would appreciate hearing more from you so that we can be sure to improve in the future. Please reach out with any further comments directly to people@mediamath.com.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ok

May 6, 2020 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance and perks

Cons

Lack of personal development and growth

1 person found this review helpful

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We do put an emphasis on healthy work-life balance, so we are glad to hear you’re enjoying that part of our culture. We’re always looking for ways to work with our employees to ensure they’re growing personally and in their career. We’d love to talk more about your career development and growth opportunities and how we can improve in that department. Please do reach out to your manager and/or People Partner so we can ensure your career at MediaMath is a long and fulfilling one.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

once had potential. now feels like a sinking ship

Apr 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent culture and good office perks. Work life balance can be good depending on the team you work for. Most of the people are great.

Cons

Senior Management restructured at least 4 times in my 4 years there. Senior Management promoted people they "liked" into management roles that had no skill, ability or capacity to lead teams. The new president - who we were all hopeful would correct many of the problems- did not do a full 360 evaluation of the org before starting layoffs. The company has since gone through several rounds of layoffs and closed several offices internationally. Sales and Marketing have operated without strong leadership for several years which has led to an inability to hit revenue targets. They have rushed rollouts of products and offerings that the company cannot actually support.

13 people found this review helpful

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in our people and our culture, and we’re glad that was a positive part of your experience working at MediaMath. While we understand your concern with senior leadership changes, we have been investing in and strengthening our leadership team as we work to transform our company and our industry to deliver the most responsive and accountable advertising technology. We’ve bolstered our leadership over the past nine months, bringing in a new President (who you reference) as well as a new CFO, Chief People Officer, SVP of Product, Chief Client Officer, and a Head of Marketing & Communications who was promoted from within. Like many companies around the world, we couldn’t anticipate or plan for the COVID pandemic and, as a result, we did have to make some difficult decisions and quickly with respect to our workforce in order to fortify the business for the long term. We’re working together to ensure our teams are set up to continue delivering the outstanding products and services for which MediaMath is known.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

MediaMath Will Get Worse Before It Gets Better

Mar 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Nice office space -Typical tech company perks

Cons

-Full of grown children that are entitled because at MediaMath everyone is a VP. -Recruiters sell you a dream and when you join the company you see that your job was not what you thought it would be -Constant re-orgs that lead to people being laid off suddenly. Your team is smaller and stays smaller and your workload only increases -Many of my co-workers are actively looking for a job because they are scared of being re-orged out of a job -New leadership got rid of most of the dead weight in the C-suite, but has hired more dead weight to replace them. Same old cycle. -HR is unprofessional and is clearly not well equipped to be effective. -Turnover is very high, a revolving door. I think we've shrunk as a company since I've been here rather than growing -Many in management have just been promoted based on tenure not on merit so there are a lot of incompetent people in powerful places -Work life balance depends on your team, some of my coworkers barely get to work from home or are expected to keep working once they have left for the day. -Excessive useless meetings. We have so many of these, can we just focus on our work?

11 people found this review helpful

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for providing your candid thoughts and feedback. We entered this year with a transformation and growth mindset, taking a close look at our business and deciding how we intend to grow and where we need to invest in order to do so. At the same time, like many companies around the world, we are contending with the realities of a global pandemic and its impact and implications for our business and the economy as a whole. Through it all, we are intensely focused on our employees and ensuring that they are feeling engaged, informed, supported and excited to work at MediaMath and with one another. We would welcome to the opportunity to discuss your feedback further if you would be comfortable reaching out to your People Partner. We can continue the conversation and see how we might be able to work together to enhance your experience with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 75 Reviews