Merck "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Merck Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 8, 2019

3.9
Merck CEO Kenneth C. Frazier
Kenneth C. Frazier
1,278 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Disappointing: it's about time for the next new plant manager"

Current Employee - Looking for Another in Durham, NC

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, gain experience, better than some other manufacturing companies,

Cons

Drama, everybody is related! If you're not from the right college, the right click, being supervised by a coach who upper management listens to or dating/sleeping with someone in a position to get you promoted don't count on moving up anytime soon. you can move, but it maybe about the time you have grandkids. Upper management knows it all and knows nothing.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the people who are always in your face taking credit for what others do. If you seem to have a lot of incompetent people, look at your training/trainers, your coachess, and what they're really doing. You have the people, the resources and time to make this a great site, but it just seems that there are very few managers at various levels who get it. Develop a solid mentoring programming then put 1 or... two low or average performers in the program. I suspect they will rise to the occasion and light a path for others. Right now you have lots of folks who are beyond capable, but they don't see it ever happening for them. I expect Merck to be an example one day in either a presentation or class on how not to :_____ (manage, train, perform quality, hire, deal with HR issues (you pick a scenario or issue). I rated the company overall a 3 but I would rate the Durham site a 1.5. How about treating us like some of the other sites (flex schedules, flexible workspaces, onsite gyms...what are those?)

Merck2019-11-08
  2. "Great people, great CEO...upper management 👎🏽"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The focus on science, the passion of the scientist. The desire to really try to stem human suffering with advancements in science. Merck has a long history of pharma development and the current CEO is focused on early drug development. I cannot stress how dedicated the scientist here are.

Cons

Upper management should be ashamed of themselves. The lack of communication is appauling. The constant "we don't know yet" or "we are still working that out" sows not only confusion but uncertainty. The lack of promotions...I could go on about this for pages but I'll leave is with "don't expect one" the refrain that I have heard for years is always the same, there is always some reason why they can't or more likely... won't. Even when the company does better that expected things are still "right right now." I may sound disgruntled but I actually love working at Merck...it's just frustrating...very frustrating having to deal with upper management.

Advice to Management

Communicate the truth, stop saying you’ll get back to us and not ever coming back with an answer. Promotions should be on a manager recommended basis and you should trust the managers when they make said recommendation.

Merck2019-05-28

"Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and pension plan.

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and field. Misuse of assets, bad business decisions

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality!

Merck2018-03-02

"Chronic Care Sales"

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Company, Solid Products, Good People

Cons

Upper management doesn't value field sales. Layoffs almost every year

Merck2018-03-08
  5. "Promotion cycle non existent"

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work arrangement, excellent benefits, fair market compensation

Cons

Seldom to none promotions in our organization. New jobs with same responsibilities as current role get higher title. Upper management keeps moving up increasing the levels between manager and the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Mgmt is supportive however excelling with increasing responsibilities just means more work without promotion. The expertise leaves the department in search of better opportunities at merck.

Merck2018-01-19
  6. "Account Payable TIER I Analyst"

Current Employee - Account Payable TIER I Analyst in San Jose, San Jose

I have been working at Merck full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, good opportunities, pretty new

Cons

Salary, organizational structure, upper management

Advice to Management

Keep your promises

Merck2017-11-17
  7. "Merck (former Schering-Plough)"

I worked at Merck full-time

Pros

For the most part there are good people that work at Merck. I like the Kenilworth campus and found it to be a great place to work

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in this industry. Timelines created from upper management can be difficult to meet and are not always realistic.

Advice to Management

I was happy to see the role Kenneth Frazier took in distancing himself from the White House and their offensive and clumsy response to the tragedy in Charlottesville, Virginia. I have no other comments about or to management.

Merck2017-09-01

"Merck Animal Health"

Former Employee - Associate II, Clinical Services in Elkhorn, NE

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting projects to work on. Varied animal groups to work with. Amazing benefits!

Cons

Inexperienced, discriminatory, and unprofessional managers. Most managers only cared about who brown-nosed or stroked their ego, so anyone who had experience, a degree, a great work ethic, etc didn't matter in comparison to their little buddies. The managers will help turn your co-workers against you because they don't like to hear what needs to be done to solve team issues. HR is no help and is just as corrupt as... management and upper management. It was disappointing because the job itself was great and the good apples were pushed out of the company over time or remained there miserable. Sexist company--will promote and hand out raises to males over females even if the males are entry level or don't do their job. No raise or promotion was given to me after 4 years!

Advice to Management

Encourage and promote your experienced and hard-working employees! Don't take the easy way out and be able to listen to your employees objectively. Follow company values even if HR doesn't. The whole value structure will continue to fall apart if things continue as they have.

Merck2017-07-30

"Associate Director of Sales"

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The training is top notch, and the people are great.

Cons

The culture is terrible, there were no new hires for over 8 years and upper management did not listen to feedback from customers or employees.

Advice to Management

There needs to be clear career pathways in place, even with lateral moves. There also should be some type of mentoring system implemented that does not dissolve with the loss of the mentor.

Merck2017-05-12
  10. "Great colleagues but tough to stay in the current environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Merck

Pros

Smart, motivated and collegial employees Cutting edge of tech

Cons

Constant change as dictated by upper management lowers productivity

Merck2017-04-19