Mixpanel Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 9 Jan 2020

3.6
Mixpanel CEO Amir Movafaghi
Amir Movafaghi
Pros
Cons
  • "Some growing pains but nothing that is not worth working here(in 12 reviews)

• "Extreme focus on business competitors can be demoralizing, though it's clear why it's necessary right now in the overcrowded analytics space(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"sales development rep"

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time

Pros

- work life balance at the office

Cons

- no cons at thus momnent

"Growing company with a lot of upside"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, a lot of nice, smart, hard working co-workers, benefits/compensation, fast-paced, good work/life balance, doesn't have too many processes that bog you down, transparency from the leadership team, financially stable with high potential.

Cons

This is only a con for certain people but the company doesn't have much of a structured mentorship/training program to advance in your career. You need to be able to hit the ground running with minimal support. The people that are successful in this company are highly self-motivated.

"It's go time. Incredibly excited about our momentum!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CUSTOMER CENTRICITY: Huge focus on customer centricity in recent months, which involves a very strong customer feedback loop and fast product development (both execution and iteration) PRODUCT: We have a very strong product (with extremely reliable backbone/infrastructure) in a large, growing market. More importantly, the product is actually valuable to its end users and helps them make better business decisions / build better products. PEOPLE: I work with many smart, motivated, hard-working, humble people that I also consider to be very close friends outside of work, which is irreplaceable and extremely hard to find elsewhere (further evidenced by the many 'boomerangs' who have come back to work at Mixpanel after leaving). AMAZING MANAGEMENT/LEADERSHIP: I have a supportive manager that advocates for me and supports career development/growth; furthermore, new executive leadership team is the strongest and most aligned I've ever seen in my tenure here. OPPORTUNITY FOR GROWTH/DEVELOPMENT: There is tremendous opportunity to support cross-functional projects / develop skills outside of my actual role and to be heavily involved in the ideation and execution of solutions to complex organizational problems. OTHER PERKS: Competitive compensation, great culture, awesome healthcare/wellness benefits, great work-life balance, spacious office space in Flatiron District in NYC, transparency into the business/financials at all-hands meeting, catered lunches, annual ski trip to Tahoe, opportunity to travel to other offices and to clients...the list goes on!

Cons

The only thing constant at Mixpanel is change, which may be difficult for some who move at a slower pace and aren't comfortable with rapid change/iteration. I, however, am thrilled with the pace of execution and think it's absolutely necessary to win this evergrowing market.

Continue reading

"Strong, self-aware team working to improve itself"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mixpanel has changed a lot over the years. We have re-orged our sales team, pivoted product strategies, reworked EPD processes, and built a proper marketing dept to name a few . During these changes there have been good times and there have been bad times. This is important to note because right now is a very special time at Mixpanel. The company as a whole is working on being self-aware and learning from that past. Leadership is transparent on what we need to improve. Organizations are removing "red tape" and solving problems. Employees are working bottom up when they want to see a change happen. The one thing that has never wavered during my tenure at Mixpanel is the quality of humans. Intellect, passion, and personality are common character strengths in our team members. Those traits show in our drive for a positive culture. This is not to say it is always rainbows and butterflies. Mixpanel is not perfect and we are still making mistakes. The difference of late is that we are accepting and vocal about these errors. In the 4+ years I have worked here I have never been more confident in our present and future. Random bullet point pros: - Big career opportunities to grow. Work hard and it will pay off. - Very strong work life balance. Working hard is getting your work done not being at your desk. - Accepting and Open minded: Always open to the best idea from anyone

Cons

- We have a lot of work to do to get back on track to the company we want to be in 1-2 years - We have had some IC turnover in the past year that worries some people. I think we suffer from the proverbial silicon valley "grass is greener". It is easy to get distracted.

"It was like high school"

I have been working at Mixpanel

Pros

benefits, fully stocked fridge, work life balance

Cons

young and inexperienced management style not professional

"Amazing people, but growing slow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

If working with genuinely nice people is more important than "killing it", Mixpanel will be a great choice. * Co-workers are amazing. Feels like a family but doesn't exploit that relationship. Lots of really smart people who work hard and don't have ego * You feel appreciated * Plenty of opportunities for taking on responsibility * Compensated well * Work/life balance is excellent * No options handcuffs - keep your options without needing to exercise them after 2 years tenure (may be a con as senior employees leave)

Cons

* Company is just starting to get its footing with push into enterprise market. We're playing catch-up to our competitors and we'll be doing it for a while. * Engineers tend to go on to the next thing after about 3 years (but that also means there's opportunities for a new employee).

"I am SO happy"

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I came to Mixpanel looking for work/life balance, career progression opportunities, strong leadership and the ability to always be learning. This company has totally exceeded my expectations in every way. The culture is amazing-everyone is so friendly, driven and just simply willing to put in the extra work to get the company to where it needs to be. I feel Suhail truly cares about the employees and wants to hear everyone's feedback in order to improve as much as possible. Not to mention, there are some CRAZY SMART people who work here. But you'd never guess that because the culture is so down to earth and incredibly humble. I love my team, love my manager and I am so grateful for all the skills Mixpanel has taught me in the year I've invested here.

Cons

Granted, Mixpanel is a startup, which comes with some growing pains. Our work process/flow is always changing as management tries to iron out wrinkles. I've had 4 different managers in the past 12 months but I must say, each one of them has taught me something new. If you aren't a flexible person, this probably isn't the company for you. Additionally, although there are tons of brilliant people working here, some department managers lack experience because they are younger. Finally, a closed mouth doesn't get fed- you really have to speak up if you want something. If you feel like you've earned a promotion, say something because odds are managers are so busy with other startup pains within the company that a promotion won't be the first thing on their mind.

Continue reading

"good people but lacking direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong engineering team Usual SV perks Good work life balance I'm not sure where all the vitriolic reviews come from... people are pretty great and the CEO seems decent; however, the product lacks focus and direction. You may struggle to grow your career here

Cons

Not clear what or why we are building things Lack of career trajectory

"Huge Potential and Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time

Pros

-Great culture -Great work/life balance -Great benefits and perks -Lots of smart and fun people -Things move quickly and individual contributions are seen in the impact -Customers love the product and strong branding in the space

Cons

-Still has a long way to go to in terms of maturing as a company -Growth has been somewhat slow but may change -Can be disorganized at times

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews