Morningside Translations Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 22 Feb 2020

2.8
Morningside Translations Co-CEO Roland Lessard
Roland Lessard
Pros
  • "Birthday and happy hour gatherings, as well as office perks such as Seamless Wednesdays, is just icing on the cake(in 6 reviews)

• "Great work environment and support(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "high turnover rate, I would personally not advice to seek any job security nor longevity in this company(in 3 reviews)

• "Work long hours to meet deadlines while some of the sales reps play video games and watch youtube videos at their desk(in 3 reviews)

1. "Terrible Senior Leadership"

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, pleasant coworkers....that's about it

Cons

This place treats their employees like cattle. You are either lowly compensated but work a 9 to 5 job or b) you are decently compensated (relative to the company) but are over worked. There was a review on glassdoor that talked about how an employee was literally sleeping at the office to get their work done. Somehow, they got glassdoor to remove it, but I feel it a good example of how senior leadership sees their employees and what Morningside's work culture is like.

Morningside Translations2020-02-22

"Need to make the employees feel valued and help them succeed"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jerusalem

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

The group is a lovely bunch of very highly talented people. They try to get things done in a timely manner. There is a very good respect for boundaries and benifits. The pay is mid range. If you aren't well they are understanding.

Cons

Blame is rampant, they have a quality complaint database which is set up to tag bad jobs. The goal officially is to improve quality, but since all that happens is passing the blame, the mistakes are repeated. The outcome is low employee moral. If you need help, you are given the feeling, that we expect you to figure it out on your own. The financial incentive system is based on metrics rather than good work, so don't expect a raise unless you totally pass the benchmark, which is set higher.

Morningside Translations2019-12-12
  3. "Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to start, high pay and responsibility. If you are adept at what you do, can work independently and collaboratively as needed, then this can be a great team to join.

Cons

Self-starting, technical and linguistic skills and thick skin required. There were some people this year who I'll say were kind of weird, and brought too much drama to the table. I would have more of a tolerance if they were good at their job, but considering their basic spelling and translation errors, and the amount of ego in the face of a little criticism, I wish I hadn't been exposed to these people in the first place. They didn't last long in their role, and I have to wonder how they slipped through because some other hires are just great.

Morningside Translations2019-11-03

"Great people and great company!"

Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

Working out of the NYC office, you meet people from diverse cultural backgrounds who are all a pleasure to work with. Interaction with employees all over the world is a great experience for expanding horizons and gaining cultural awareness. Excellent health benefits, 401k match, and free Seamless lunches.

Cons

Working with team members all over the world means juggling many different time zones, which can be confusing and make it challenging to coordinate meetings that everyone can attend.

Morningside Translations2019-10-23

"Horrible experience"

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

I didn't find any pros

Cons

Worst work and cultural experience I ever had. My impression: working for this company felt like making an all-out effort to survive in the atmosphere of mobbing and favoritism. I felt extremely unrespected. I wonder, for what reason, other than the strongest fear of poverty, would mentally healthy people spend time of their lives in such companies.

Morningside Translations2019-11-09

"Worst Company Ever - Do not work here!"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is not one positive thing

Cons

Of all of my years working I have never come across such a poorly run company. They micro-manage and push employees like tyrants. Managers are complete idiots - have no idea how to manage or lead or even about what they are selling. They are dishonest and misleading to their clients. They have terrible quality and constant negative feedback from clients . They record calls without disclosing to client which is bordering on illegal. They are dishonest about their process. The executives do not care at all about the employees. They are not willing to listen to feedback. They do not know what they are doing. Absolutely do not work here if you want to have even a slightly positive work environment where you are valued.

Morningside Translations2019-10-10

"Interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

It paid well, it was a well structured job with great employees and opportunities for growth.

Cons

At the time, it was a bit of a toxic environment. Lots of fights instigated by the owner of the company. I heard it has since improved since the owner has a less involved role. Sometimes it could be long hours, and it didn't always seem necessary.

Morningside Translations2019-07-25

"What's the translation for "chaos"?"

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

Location near Penn Station is convenient. This could be a good spot to start a career for those with no better option or who thrive without real training or mentorship.

Cons

Low morale and high turnover. A tendency to focus on cutting costs and cutting corners. Rapid expansion has invited chaos, poor communication, and office politics. It is a young company in bad ways: unprofessional, clicky, and disorganized. The serious dysfunction of old management has done real damage to Morningside’s reputation in the industry. New management doesn’t seem to have any vision to compensate for that. This situation has given a few seriously toxic employees room to thrive, that has done real damage. In particular, inappropriate ethnic/gender/religious comments are laughed off and dishonesty and misleading clients/potential employees are approved of.

Morningside Translations2019-08-21

"Don't put yourself through the stress."

Former Employee - Just Don't Do IT

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

There are handful of people that really care about doing their job correctly.

Cons

There a lot a large amount of people that rather point a finger then help solve a problem.

Morningside Translations2019-05-23

"Overworked and Underpaid"

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seamless credit every Wednesday Occasional free pizza (cheese only) every month

Cons

People here are overworked and underpaid. There is a heavy amount of stress going around and very few people are happy working at this company. This company has been going through growing pains for awhile, but it doesn't look like they're leaving this stage anytime soon due to the high turnover. The senior folks are leaving, taking their knowledge with them. Most people here are new hires, but few people actually know what's going on and how things works. The expectation is you figure it out on your own without any support (because your boss isn't likely to know) while the company still tries to hit their aggressive numbers. This place is truly a revolving door - most of the people have been here a year or less.

Morningside Translations2019-05-18

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 66 reviews