Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews about "head office"

Updated 23 Nov 2020

3.3
Mountain Warehouse Founder & CEO Mark Neale
Mark Neale
Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough communication between staff and management at head office(in 25 reviews)

• "Email address collection and selling cheap add ons(in 20 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "head office"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Toxic work environment"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in London, England

I worked at Mountain Warehouse full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*Gain experience in fast passed retail industry *Great discount

Cons

*Unmanageable expectations with little to no resources *Senior and upper management fail to support middle managers and support staff at the most basic level. *There is no actual qualified HR department for a global company *Head office turnover is very high in departments due to toxic nature of blame shifting *Senior management do not tend to cooperate with each other and are often at odds. Which leads to unnecessary conflict and missed opportunities *Poor communication and guidance from the entire organisation *Mental heath is not taken into consideration *Little to no documentation of processes or procedures

Continue reading
  2. "Crappy Pay, Dodgy Management, Too much work, Does Feel Good though"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Mountain Warehouse part-time

Pros

When the store's busy it feels good, the time flies, I get to use my knowledge of the products to help people. The staff at my store are nice so it feels good. A 50% staff discount it very nice too.

Cons

Minimum wage which as a 17 year old is £4.55 an hour, barely feels worth it. Head office is also completely useless as the company is run by one man and a dog, the different levels of management don't talk to each other so our store is rammed full of stock we don't have room for but head office insists we do etc.

Continue reading

3. "Difficult working environment"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Mountain Warehouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous staff discount Sometimes fair working environment

Cons

Frequently poor head office communication

4. "Good place to work"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Commercial/Residential Window Washer in Dartmouth, England

I have been working at Mountain Warehouse for less than a year

Pros

Other staff members are great to work with Good hours in summer Great discount on everything in stores

Cons

Slow in Winter and cut hours Not enough communication between staff and management at head office

5. "Experience is Highly Dependant on Management"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Mountain Warehouse part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Generous staff discount -Incentivised bonus -Generally laidback environment in a store with the right people

Cons

Very limited HR and IT support, poor communication between head office and stores, poor wages (even for management positions) and no pension scheme. There are also minimal opportunities for promotion within the company, meaning most people don't tend to stay for long.

October 7, 2019Head of HR

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for posting your thoughts. I wonder whether we might be able to help you? Today, there are currently over 100 vacancies in the business in various different locations across the country, including our London Head Office and at various levels of seniority. There is a special synergy between our retail sales staff and our Buying and Merchandising teams in Head Office if that would be of interest and we are always looking to pipeline potential candidates. All our staff are in the pension scheme - you are auto-enrolled. Please do chat to us if this is not the case - you may have opted out but you can join the scheme at any point if that is the case. Do please talk to us - we are trying to improve our communication all the time - looking at different methods and ways to send out information. Not everything works the first time and sometimes is not effective. One thing we are very good at is changing things when they don't work and trying again. Do please look into the email sent by Mark our CEO about the employee engagement forums that will start soon. It's an ideal way to get involved in the business. Thank you so much for your review, we do read all of them and we are trying to constantly improve all aspects of Mountain Warehouse. Kind regards,

6. "It's fine, Management needs to be better"

Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Mountain Warehouse part-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a really good employee discount.

Cons

Both in store management and the head office really need to get it together, they have a horrible impact on the environment, the members rewards card is stupid and the clothing often just falls apart.

October 7, 2019Head of HR

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you really didn't enjoy your time with us, or our products, which is definitely a shame. We are a value retailer but we don't want our clothes to fall apart! Our quality control specialists and garment tech department would be very keen to hear from you if you wanted to get in touch. Whilst we don't always get it right first time, we do try. We are all really passionate about our business. Sometimes the business makes decisions or releases ideas that we don't necessarily agree with, or understand. Feeding back our frustrations with criticism and constructive ideas to change really do help us. To this end we are launching employee engagement forums across the brand, in all areas of the business with one of the 3 owners of the business leading the meetings. Thank you again for your comments, they really are helpful. Kind regards,

"Dodge the headache"

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mountain Warehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discounts and amazing staff

Cons

It all boils down to money with this company. They make it seem like they value your feedback but will not take action if it is going to cost them more. Paying bills late or not at all is their best practice. You wear many hats so don’t expect a work life balance as you will be picking up the pieces of what head office isn’t taking care of daily;iT issues for weeks on end, bills not being paid and stores unable to open ,over and under allocated even after you provide timely feedback on product , employee benefits not paid and they are unable to make appointments, get called and asked to work even after reporting being sick,over 2 months to be reimbursed on expenses ,can’t give your people well deserved raises or bring talent in at competitive rates. Don’t expect any community involvement from them either their responsibility is to themselves first. Even in our eye of the storm 25 below zero national weather advisory the expectation was to conduct inventory during an emergency weather advisory not to travel as they just viewed it as a cost to move the inventory.You can find better benefits and a clean HR friendly structure with an American company. Many laws being violated as they still don’t know the laws in many areas even after doing business here for over 5 years. If you truly value your talent and time dodge this bullet .

Continue reading

"Bad organisation, extreme overstock issues."

Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Mountain Warehouse part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff discount, colleagues, getting to choose uniform from stock.

Cons

Depending on what store you work in will depend a lot on your experience, however even if you get a good manager there is no getting away from the dire head office organisation. Delivery days become so stressful because stock is delivered randomly chucked in different boxes, clothing and accessories mixed together, even a single line can be spread across multiple boxes. Surely in your warehouse the same items must be grouped together? Is it really so difficult to collate Accessories, Men’s/Women’s/Kid’s clothing into the same box?
Head office have no idea how much stock a store can hold which usually results in extreme overstock issues, even sending many times the quantity listed on the stock system. Our stock room was so crammed we had to use the fitting rooms and shop floor to pile excess, which looked incredibly unprofessional, as well as a blatant health and safety risk and complete embarrassment. Management not open to ideas from staff to improve work flow, simply giving the answer, “Thats the way we’ve always done it at mountain warehouse.” Company is absolutely obsessed with Add-on/Email targets with unrelenting pressure and threats of dismissal if you fail to harass customers for these. Saying the required “Would you like to receive our special offers and email receipt” simply doesn’t work so you have to lie or push the truth just to stop being persecuted by management. Not even the smallest bonus for staff achieving these targets. How about some positive encouragement instead of just threatening staff who find it hard yet may well have other strengths beneficial to the team? Stores that cheat the system to get good results were given praise. The pretence that everyone is “half price” results in constant price changes, again completely disorganised - same item In different colours having multiple prices which really confuses and at times causes arguments and bad feeling with customers. Same item changing price one week then again the following week. Every single item in the store is affected by this pretence, resulting in time wasted that could be used providing good customer service and actually selling! Some of the “Full prices” are completely laughable! For a company promoting the outdoor lifestyle their practice or wrapping each delivery item in sometimes multiple layers of plastic is utterly despicable and inexcusable. Store managers are poorly trained and don’t understand simple management concepts such as working out statutory holiday entitlement, meaning the company is breaking the law by not giving staff time off they are entitled to - whether you work a bank holiday or not you are entitled to 28 days paid time off (pro rata) per leave year. As there is no directive from HO on how to implement this, stores have made there own bizarre system of splitting the 8 days BH pay over the Bank holidays but not giving the time off entitled to, resulting in only 4 weeks time off, not the 5.6 staff are legally entitled to! Is it so difficult just to give 28 days leave to use thorough the year such as other companies do? Pay is appalling and the minimum they can get away with on all levels. Supervisions pay is only 40p above minimum wage and not worth the extra stress and if you’re under 21 don’t bother! Rarely given a weekend off unless it was booked as holiday. There is an overall feeling of arrogance from this company - only listening to the positives. My time working for this company left me feeling extremely stressed at times. It's sad I feel the only I feel I can address my concerns is by venting them is on sites such as this.

May 8, 2019Head of HR

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please be assured that this is hugely important for us. We do read everything, and we make changes where we can. There is so much to tell you. We have an amazing new management and leadership apprenticeship programme to create our Store Managers and Area Managers of the future. We have management development workshops being rolled out across our Head Office as well as UK and International Retail. Our new People Team is getting ready to launch an employee engagement survey which will provide a valuable source of confidential communication back to the business. Combined with Store Manager groups, employee forums and other methods of communication, we hope that we will give everyone a voice. Sometimes working in businesses can be frustrating. We think we can do things more efficiently or in a better way. Sometimes that's absolutely right, and you must tell us! If we can't do something, or it's not right for the whole business, we'll let you know so that you understand. Our warehouse is a great example. Stock is picked from a "location", not from a specific product line - once it has run out in that location, the location is reassigned and the rest of the same product picked from elsewhere in the warehouse by someone else. We are always looking to improve deliveries to store and we do listen. We have recently implemented "pricing days" which we're sure will help and has come about from listening to colleagues on the floor. Our new People Team will help drive consistency, policy and process as well as helping implement positive change where it is needed. We always follow the law but we know there is more we can do to help all our colleagues in all locations and brands. We don't always get the other bits right but our heads and hearts are definitely in the right place to get it done. I'd really welcome the chance to talk to you. Please do get in touch if you want to so we can talk through some of your concerns and points you make above. It is useful for us and we want to know.

"Company that is outgrowing its own Head Office capabilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Mountain Warehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will work with some amazing people and be given some fantastic opportunities as the company is growing so rapidly.

Cons

Management It is unfortunate that management in Mountain Warehouse believe that all employees and sadly all suppliers are a disposable commodity, who can be replaced in a heartbeat. With that they then treat both as such and have no problem publicly humiliating employees of all levels (it is not unusual to see several people cry in a day), degrading any work you produce and on one occurrence resulting in a senior member of management throwing samples at an employee. It is a frequent occurrence to hear management yelling at either employees or suppliers, and then joking about making them cry. Where as in any company you can expect a degree of respect or politeness from your management; do not expect this here. If you try and say anything about the extremes of this or question it; you will be told to “put up and shut up”. Any sickness is regarded as being false and you will be expected to come in if ill, especially around range reviews. It is not unknown for senior members of management to call an employee to ask where they are after they have called in sick. Training Upon starting Mountain Warehouse you now have a day long introduction, where you will be given an insight into the function of different departments and a walk around the office. Any training into what your function is will then be conducted in team by a colleague. Unfortunately, because of the high turnover of staff you will rarely get a hand over from your predecessor and the staff member training you will probably be still in their own probationary period. Any formal training or guidelines that exist have been implemented by those at the bottom hoping to create an easier way to train the continuous stream of new employees. You will often be asked to train new members of staff, either below or several grades higher than you; as other employees on the same level show little to no interest in assisting and actively brush off any association with the new employee. There are now HR training incentives which help to assist you in working with and understanding others, managing your time efficiently and managing new members of staff. While excellent incentives they also transparently reactionary measures to appease staff who are over worked and leaving as any concerns voiced fall of deaf ears. Work Load Be prepared to see a huge disparity in work loads between teams in the Head Office, buying and merchandising is singularly the most over worked department by miles. From day one you will never leave at the end of the day with your work completed, let alone completed to a satisfactory level where things do not continuously slip and huge issues arise. Any issues that then arise from this will then be blamed on the employee, and another new process will be implemented. Management often change their minds on key issues, meaning that workloads can double or triple – there is often no communication as to why this has happened, or any assistance in helping their teams to achieve these changes. Again, further raising the workload rather than dealing with the root issue of not employing enough staff to cope with the pressure of an international retailer. For a 40 hour working week (without your unpaid lunch break) you will be given more work than can be completed in a 60 hour working week (having being strongly encouraged to work this before a holiday). On going on holiday you will be asked to ensure that you work is in a satisfactory state so you can leave – a fair request in most companies with a good hand over to colleagues – yet you will always have too much work on. On coming back from your holiday you will be asked to make your hours up. The longer you stay at Mountain Warehouse the more work you are given, as expected as you become more efficient and knowledgeable at your role. However this often manifests itself as being given an extra role, or two that you will be expected to perform without impacting the role you already do. This can be in the career trajectory that you are aiming for, e.g. a Buying Admin Assistant may be given an Assistant Buyer role to perform at the same time. Or this may be asking a member to perform all Merchandising functions, as well as all buying and designing roles. While this should be a fantastic opportunity for an employee to flex their buying ‘muscles’, there is not enough time to do everything and results in an incredibly stressful working environment. Time Management You will be expected to be in early every day - early being at least an hour before your start time, work through your unpaid 30-minute lunch break and work late – ‘off-peak’ hours expect to stay until 7pm and when it is busy the office closes at 10pm. This will be expected of you all season round; regardless of the peaks and troughs in work load, you will not be given any lieu time back. Leaving on time is frowned upon and will be discussed with you as being unacceptable. Working Conditions The office is too small, the buying and merchandising teams are crammed into one small floor when they could easily take over the whole office and still not have enough room. Be prepared to climb on top of cardboard boxes of samples and shoeboxes to get anything you need. If you have a problem with that you are told to just deal with it, even if you are injured and told not to walk – let alone climb on a cardboard box.

April 15, 2019Head of HR

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your comments. We take all feedback seriously and we do read everything. As a business we are constantly growing and changing. This can be hard and we recognise and value the incredibly hard work that all our colleagues across all our locations give to us. As we grow, we also know that we need to make sure we have all the tools we need to do our roles properly. We have recently launched a new apprenticeship scheme to help create the next generation of store managers and area managers. In Head Office we have a "guidebook" full of incredible courses for everyone to make use of. Our new People Team is working with management across the business to ensure that our company vision is realised whilst acknowledging that our people have got us there. We are trying. We don't always get it right but we work extremely hard to make sure we do our best. Thank you again for your comments, we totally agree with you that our amazing staff are our most valuable asset - we're trying to let them know that too.

"Not all that glitters is gold"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Mountain Warehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible to a point, Discount.

Cons

Poor communication, lack of leadership, low pay, limited progression, people in head office are not nice

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 English Reviews