NCSA Next College Student Athlete Head Scout Reviews

Lisa Strasman

"Great place to work!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home Control of your schedule Every call is different Talk sports all day Great money

Cons

Work- Life Balance can be an issue - as long as you hit your goals, you have control of your schedule. If you don't hit your goals, you may seem like you're working more to try to get there.

February 9, 2017Senior Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your role as a Head Scout (now Recruiting Specialist) with NCSA. Work life balance is a topic we are always striving to help our teammates to manage. Please call or stop by and visit with the HR team if you ever would like to chat about it!

"Poor Management / Misleading Product / No work-life / Great Pay"

Former Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sports. Work from home. Can be great pay.

Cons

When I took my job as a 'Head Scout' at this company I could not have been more excited. I get to talk sports at home, for a job, make $100k, AND help kids get college scholarships? Sounds like the dream job! Then I worked there and this is where things went downhill. If you want to have no life at all but make a lot of money, maybe I haven't lost you yet. A typical day includes making calls to families who have been cold called by a 'Scout' (aka some kid fresh out of college who says anything to the family to take a meeting with a 'Head Scout' cause it's free). Your morning is filled with calling the families you have scheduled in your calendar for that night and the next to 'confirm' the meeting. Most of the time you don't get answers, they don't understand what the call is about, or ask if it costs money (because NCSA doesn't say it costs money, doesn't tell anyone their prices because they are very expensive, and the 'Scouts' tell the families its a 'free evaluation'. So besides trying to confirm your meetings you will be making follow up calls to families that said no on the phone during your 'evaluation' (we will get to the evaluation in a bit) but need to try and re-sell them on what the cost of recruiting will be without NCSA. Mix in some video conferencing meeting along with meetings with your micromanaging manager talking to you and reviewing your 'calls' and how you need to open your calendar up to hit more meetings. This happens OVER and OVER and OVER. That's your job for 3 hours in the morning. Since NCSA is based out of Chicago, that's typically from 9am to noon. From noon until 430 you are 'free'. But make sure you're checking your phone constantly for e-mails that come through cause you need to make sure you're not missing anything. Typical amount of e-mails that come through per day are around 60-75. Now, starts the second half of your day. So from about 4:30-5 you are prepping for your calls, seeing what families cancelled their 'free evaluation' because they asked their coach, read reviews online, heard somewhere it costs money and are no longer interested. Your slots are an hour and 15 minutes long. So you work 5-6:15, 6:15-7:30, 7:30-8:45, 8:45-10, 10-11:15 and if you want to hit your numbers or work seven days a week, you will try and get your 11:15pm - 12:30am slot filled also. That is your typical day Monday - Thursday. Friday lots of people will work cause they are under pressure to get more meetings or hit certain sales numbers so they will add in a couple meetings as well. Then the fun and exciting weekend. Now on Saturday and Sunday, you are expected to work both days technically your actual 'day off' is Friday. So wake up and do meetings from 8am to 1pm on Saturday and then on Sunday, some guys will do anywhere from 5-10 meetings. Well, at least open up their calendars for that many. Many will fall out because families usually have lives on weekends and are doing things with their family and friends. But can you leave to go do something if a family doesn't show up? Nope. Because your next call is only an hour from then and theres not enough time to do anything but sit and maybe grab a snack and catch a bit of Sportscenter. You want time with your family? Your kids? Your friends? Go to sporting events? Watch your nephews mid-week game? Go out to eat with people? Have a social life? Well that all goes out the window with this job. I can't call it a career because there is no career advancement what so ever. The "VP's" for the most part are people that do a whole lot of nothing but micromanage, sit on meetings, and talk about how to improve your call and get more meetings set up. Now during your 'evaluations' with the family you will deal with people that have no money to pay for such an expensive service for something they can do on their own, people that thought the call was a 'free evaluation', questions on how do we work specifically with college coaches (ask around, I would honestly say the majority don't use or like information that NCSA sends the coaches), how do we evaluate their kid besides talking to them on the phone (most kids have no video at all and no varsity experience but as long as they'll pay, we will take them). Now during your call, your first 10-20 minutes is to build rapport with the family to get them to 'trust you' and then you begin your hard sell. Covering the same exact talk track family after family after family, day after day after day. You have to show them the webpage, how it works and how it will be beneficial to their needs. So just do a quick favor, go to Best Buy or ESPN or whatever site you want, and now imagine you have to explain how to use that site for 5-6 hours a night, day in and day out. The site doesn't change, just the person you're talking to does. Sounds new and exciting every night right? This has to be the most monotonous job in the world. Everything on the NCSA site can be done for free if you do a simple Google search but it is nice for families to have in one place. The software is definitely above average and fairly simple to use. But that's not why families enroll. They enroll because the messaging is we will help their student athlete find the college of their dreams and get recruited to PLAY at that school because of our connections, our knowledge and our guidance. What would you say one 'Recruiting Coach' could handle in getting to know each student athlete and their families, following up how their season is going, help them make better videos, talk about whats been new, what schools they have been talking to, how to follow up with them, how to negotiate scholarships, how to get financial aid, etc etc etc? 10? 50? 100 student athletes and families at once? Actually, when you enroll a family, you NEVER speak to them ever again cause they all get sent to a recruiting coach who has on average of OVER 1,000 different student athletes to manage and keep track of. You think your high dollar investment would get you a little more personal attention, but unfortunately for the families and the student athlete, it doesn't. If you want to work 6-7 days a week from home, sell a product that doesn't live up to its messaging, live in a bubble, miss out of life but make a lot of money, then NCSA is your job. The turnover is ridiculously high for a reason but for some, all the above is worth it. This is the 100% reality of this job and if someone tells you any different, they are flat out being dishonest. Best of luck to anyone reading this. I hope it helps one way or another.

February 9, 2017Executive Vice President of Sales

Thank you for your feedback. I see you are no longer with NCSA and I wish you would have shared your concerns while you were still part of our team. I would like to address a few of your points, as they are not based in reality. You state that NCSA doesn’t say it costs money. This is not accurate. While it is true that pricing details are not publicly displayed, we do make it very clear that there is a fee for premium services on our website - http://www.ncsasports.org/who-is-ncsa/what-does-ncsa-do/what-does-ncsa-cost-how-much. In addition, Specialists have the ability to offer discounts and even free memberships for families in financial need, and Specialists activate student-athletes so they have more access to our free tools. This activation is 100% free. Our managers consistently reiterate that when you are not working, you should not be working. This includes checking emails. You say that nothing will change, but I beg to differ. Every year NCSA gets better for our clients and our internal teammates. Our compensation plans, benefits, hours, and much more look very different than they did three, two, or even one year ago. I hope you are doing well in your new endeavor.

"Head Football Scout for NCSA will leave you with NO LIFE- Trust me!"

Former Employee - Head Football Scout

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, good pay and benefits, great people.

Cons

Insane work hours. I worked from 5pm-1:30am on Monday-Thursday. We also had to do phone calls between 10am-noon, so there was really never serious time away from the phone, especially when you work from home. Weekdays were the easy part, weekends were the worst, I would average about 10 hours on Saturdays and 15 hours on Sundays- no joke. They would want more than that too. I worked on every single holiday except Christmas, yes even Thanksgiving and Easter because it's "a good chance to speak to families who are already together." Oh and if you're thinking Friday is a day off, it's not. You have to call every single family you will be speaking with over the weekend and speak to them for about 10-20 minutes, and if they don't answer? you wait and call again. Expect to work about 3-4 hours every Friday. In the 60 hours spent working each week, every waking minute is on the phone. Your throat will hurt, and you're social/family life will disappear. There's a reason each Head Scout only lasts about a year or less.

February 9, 2017Executive Vice President of Sales

We agree that our great people are definitely a huge pro of working at NCSA. We are very up front that our hours for Head Scouts (now called Recruiting Specialists) are not traditional. If people don’t want to work nights and weekends, this job is not a good fit. The position also requires high phone time, as the role consists of a high volume of lengthy conversations with families. We always communicate this during the interview process, and understand it is not for everyone. The average Recruiting Specialist works much less than 60 hours per week. We also have an option for Recruiting Specialists to work a set schedule of 40 hours max, per week. I see you are a former teammate, and am proud to say that NCSA has made many positive advancements with benefits and work-life balance and we are constantly looking for ways to do even more for all our team members.

"NCSA is Fantastic"

Current Employee - Head Scout in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Doing incredible work for families and student athletes to help them achieve their academic and athletic ambitions. NCSA provides incredible access, organization and process to connect recruits with college coaches and vice - versa. The company is succeeding and compensation is very good. One can be part of a very large team or work independently/remotely depending upon the role. Very impressed with leadership, vision, quality for all stake holders.

Cons

There is not much that I can complain about from my position. I am fortunate to have my role and my opportunities are what I choose to create.

Continue reading

"Work for entrepreneurial, growing company!"

Head Scout

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete

Pros

Speaking to families from all walks of life. What a magnificent tapestry of humans inhabit this planet! Instead of talking to student-athletes who appear in the newspaper for the wrong reasons, I speak to tremendous student-athletes who work very hard and inspire me daily. I speak to parents and guardians in all walks of life and all family dynamics who strive for happiness and love their children. And to do that while talking sports and improving the trajectory of young people's lives is...... well let's say - it doesn't get better than that. But it DOES get better: I've watched this company grow from 30 people to more than 600 in our greater organization now. Every year gets better. Every year the competition gets tougher, but we continue to lead and innovate. Growth comes from the entrepreneurial spirit ingrained in this culture.

Cons

The only con is working with new teammates who are in it for only a paycheck. When they don't buy into the mission, they should have the self -awareness to look for something they're passionate about.

"Good place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Head Scout

Pros

this is a great company with lots of good people. i enjoy getting to work from home (though im not in love with the hours, but it is what i signed up for after all). adam diorio is a tremendous leader who is 150% invested in making this company the best in the world and it is easy to follow someone like that.

Cons

the only thing i could "complain" about is having to pay for my own internet bill.

Continue reading

"The Most Candid Review You Will Find on This Entire Page"

Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete

Pros

+Very good sales training +VP's & VP of Sales are working extremely hard to remedy mistakes made by previous administrators +Strong sense of connection to a mission greater than oneself +Adam Diorio is a great VP of sales, people trust him, he genuinely cares about the people that work for him and he is trying very hard to improve the work life balance for his employees.

Cons

-Have to punch in and out like a blue collar worker to protect company from past lawsuits ($1.6 million dollar suit lost March 2014) -Goals are monthly not quarterly, you can be ahead of pace on the year and still get put on a PIP -Most head scouts work seven days a week and work holiday weekends -Sell the dream to a large number of student athletes that will never use the product and or do not have the ability to play at the next level. -Aside from VP the career opportunities are lateral or a step down

"Head Scout"

Former Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

There some opportunities to make an above average income. Not a bad stepping stone job in sales. May not be best for an experienced sales professional. Keeps you involved in sports and recruiting, which is good if you want to return to a coaching role later.

Cons

Maybe the most misleading part of the job is when they say you can manage your own schedule. You cannot! You have to work their "suggested primetime slots". This role offers little work/life balance. I left this position because I was burned out from it. There is also very little room for growth. You can hit over 100% of your sales goal every year, but that doesn't mean you would get promoted. It's still a growing company, and due to the fact you must talk with families when they are available some of these things will never change. However, they should find a way to make it a more bearable schedule.

"Former college coach who used NCSA"

Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Surrounded by like minds who want to help high school athletes fulfill a dream of playing their sport in college, and enlightening parents on how to help their child get there.

Cons

Not enough people want to be helped because they read negative reviews from former employees who were "sales" people and not former college coaches who do this job because they truly want to help every family and who know first hand NCSA works because they lived it as an athlete or a coach at the next level. The "salesmen" don't last long with NCSA. Those people were not former athletes at the collegiate level and did not experience what it was like to recruit an athlete from a recruiting network. The guidance we offer, whether additional tools are utilized or not, work. Period. Less than 2% of high schoolers are going D1, so not many of the major D1 schools search for athletes in any recruiting network, but there are thousands of kids who have dreams and there are thousands of colleges who would love to have those kinds of kids represent their college programs. I was one of them. Parents, at the very least can have peace of mind knowing you provided your child with every opportunity to play their sport in college by reaching out to former college coaches who lived this first hand. I would encourage you to not let a disgruntled former employee of NCSA (who was no doubt a salesman who didn't make it because he wanted your $ more than he wanted to see your child play at the next level), stop you from exploring every opportunity out there for your child to get their education paid for through playing their sport. NCSA changes thousands of lives every single day. There is not a more fulfill feeling as a former college student athlete and former college coach.

Continue reading

"Love this job, head scout"

Head Scout
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete

Pros

Work from home, set my own hours, fairly good pay. Get to change lives. What's not to like?

Cons

Umm.. been with the company two years now and can't think of anything worth complaining about. Greatfull for this company.

Found 30 reviews