NCSA Next College Student Athlete Recruitment Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

NCSA Next College Student Athlete Recruitment Specialist Reviews

Updated May 30, 2019

3.3
NCSA Next College Student Athlete CEO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

"Worst place on the planet...it’s time share sales for college recruiting..think long and hard.."

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Summit, MS

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don’t see any positive about this company it’s an ethical nightmare

Cons

Well let’s see first they will sell you a dream of working from home and making 100-150k a year. You quickly find out this is not the case. They fly you to chicago for training so you think ok this must be legit. Then it all goes down hill from that point. You will be working all night and all weekend. Basically 7 days a week. They say that’s not a requirement but in order to make any money be prepared to. The... people you will be making sales calls to are unreal. Over 70% of them qualify for the National School Lunch program and have no money to spend. Yet they will want you to sell them a membership when these people are basically on welfare. Only place I have ever been around where they put the salesmen on with people with no money. The leads are horrible and then if you don’t hit your numbers which it’s impossible to most months. They will fire you. Management is totally incompetent absolutely no business sense. It’s where fired coaches go when they can’t get a job.

Advice to Management

Get a real manager in place who knows how to grow a company. You have outgrown your market and are scamming poor people into giving there credit card information. Instead of over hiring become lean and mean. It should be obvious to anyone with business sense that you have outgrown your market. Become a lean mean ebitda machine instead of trying to grow revenue.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-05-31

June 24, 2019EVP of Recruiting

It is clear from the title of your review “worst place on the planet” that this post represents a real distortion of reality. I am sorry that you were not able to find success and positively connect with NCSA’s mission and core values. If you are still with the organization, please reach out to me or our HR team asap to discuss further as I’m very concerned that you feel this way yet are continuing to talk to families. I’ll address a few points for the benefit of potential future team members. First, we discuss the Recruiting Specialist position at length with candidates during the interview process. It’s very important to us that candidates have a clear picture of the role they’re stepping into since we know it is a unique lifestyle working nights and weekends to meet with families when they’re home from work, school and practice. However, we don’t ever expect anyone to work 7 days week and the average Specialist works about 50 hours per week, which is common for a commissioned sales role. We also share average Specialist compensation which is lower than the figures mentioned here. Many Recruiting Specialists do earn well over six figures, however we never try to “sell” any new candidate on those earnings levels. It is unfortunate that this poster did not support NCSA’s Give Back initiatives. We offer substantial discounts for any family who participates in the National School Lunch Program, and if those fees are cost prohibitive Recruiting Specialists can recommend an unlimited number of All In Awards – NCSA’s highest level of service at no cost - to deserving families. We do run across families in financial need and have process in place to ensure no family is turned away for financial reasons. And as a Specialist, this poster knows we have special discounted and free memberships, and I sincerely hope these are being offered the way they are intended.

"Great People, Not So Great Hours"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits Awesome people to work with Work from home No cold calling(meetings are set for you)

Cons

Constantly pressed to add more meetings and take more calls. No life during the week since we're working 4 pm-midnight most nights. 7 day/week job. Work life balance can be tough. Only way to make good money is working 70 hrs./week.

Advice to Management

Higher commission %'s and teach higher close % instead of just constantly adding meetings.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-04-09

April 29, 2019EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your review and for the compliments on our awesome teammates and culture! Throughout the interview process for the Recruiting Specialist role, we are clear about the work hours that this role requires. Recruiting Specialists are advised to work these hours because these are the times that most families are available due to work, school and sports schedules. On the other hand, we are constantly looking for ways to improve work-life balance for all of our teammates, and the Recruiting Specialist hours have been a focus for leadership because we know talking with families on nights and weekends can be challenging at times. We do not want our Recruiting Specialists working 7 days a week and 70 hours/week. The average Specialist works 6 days a week. We feel it’s super important for our Recruiting Specialists to take at least one full day off every week and work somewhere between 40-52 hours/week. We appreciate the advice, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you become more efficient in your role.

"Fun Atmosphere Sports Company"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, a lot of bonuses, work in sports / speak with young athletes

Cons

Some positions are micro managed. Not much room for growth.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-02-20

February 28, 2019EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback and the time that you have spent with us. If professional growth is something that you are eager about, please share that information with your manager so that they can help! You are also more than welcome to reach out to me directly.

"Think LONG and HARD!!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training Trip to Chicago/Work from home/Health Benefits/Talking sports

Cons

Pay/work-life balance/no support/Quality of meetings set/Upper Management-lower management/Systems that don't work

Advice to Management

If you want a job that consumes every minute of your life and has very little pay, this is the job for you!! I was told I would make $70k+ a year, I made $28k my first and only year. This is a Time Share based sales platform for selling recruiting services to families. Company needs to better qualify meetings set. Majority of families that you will talk to have NO idea that the service costs money. A large portion... of families that you will talk to do not speak English. Sales meeting every week cover the same thing over and over, nothing new is ever brought up. There is no support system to help those struggling, the companies answer is alway for you to add more meeting and work 7 days a week. They give you one day off a week, Fridays, however it is not a full day off because you have to prep and make intro calls on Friday for your weekend meetings. EVERY month they have a sale on the last Friday of the month that you are required to work so they can meet their quota for the month. Upper Management always say "Fight for the families! This is going to change their lives!" translation means fight for the sale, they are only interested in sales numbers! They want everyone to be a "used car" salesperson. Follow up sales calls are a joke, the families that go to follow up, NEVER enroll. Telephone system and Online sales demo NEVER work properly. If you do not meet your sales quota of at least $45k a month they will put you on a Performance Improvement Plan for 60 days, if you don't make your minimum in those 60 days they will fire you. Keep in mind your performance is based on the meetings set by the company! Way too much RAH,RAH on how great the company is and how they change high school athletes lives. Think LONG and HARD before you apply and/or take a job with NCSA!!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-12-07

December 21, 2018EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your detailed review. You had a lot to say and I will address a few of the points. NCSA has no control over the financial or cultural background in which families come from but what we do have control over is the type of service that we provide to those families. During onboarding, our core values are made clear, which includes world-class service as well as all-in attitude, all-out work ethic. Day to day responsibilities align with our core values and if you feel that it was any other way then we are sorry. NCSA takes pride in the products we offer families and the support that we offer to our employees. HR, VP’s and Managers doors are always open if any employee is struggling.

"Excellent company that lost its way"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

***When founder of NCSA, Chris Krause, owned and operated the company there were so many more pros than this. Below is what is left under the new venture capitalist group.*** Talk about sports. Work from home. Excellent recruiting technology Good health benefits Help educate student athletes on the process and at least think about a plan for their future

Cons

***NCSA was founded on the premise of connecting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes with college coaches. After the venture capitalist group took over things turned unethical. The message from the VPs is to sell everybody whether they are athletically and academically qualified or not. I question how ethical it is to try to sell families with low income the dream of free tuition through... athletics when you know their child has no chance based on their athletic background. See uploaded photo of sales training slide *** Work 7 days per week. You have 1 day “off” per week which just means you aren’t doing full product demos/sales with families that night. You are still required to do introduction and follow up calls that day. Used to be able to make peace with the schedule and hours because the money was solid ($90-$120k) but no longer the case. The company is hiring like crazy so leads are diluted. Company sales revenues keep going up while individual specialist earnings continue to go down.

Advice to Management

Please stop sending messages to the VPs to fill out positive Glassdoor reviews in order to combat every honest, negative review. Instead, focus your efforts on improving the product and service. Go back to being who we claim to be. Let’s qualify athletes and bring on the ones we can truly help.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-09-25

December 18, 2018EVP of Recruiting

First off, thank you for your 8+ years!! I would hope that someone who has been dedicated to NCSA for that long would have given us a better star rating, so I hope you’ll reach out to someone directly if you haven’t already to address some of these concerns directly. I personally would love to talk to you. In your position as a Recruiting Specialist, it is important you provide our families the RIGHT package that fits their recruiting needs in addition to their financial needs. If you find a low-income family, you know we have discounted memberships for them in addition to free memberships for families who qualify for our All in Award. Please make sure you’re offering these options. Also, as you know, it’s our Recruiting Coach’s job to evaluate our clients academically and athletically. Although it happens rarely, if they determine a student-athlete is not qualified to compete at the college level, then we cannot market these student-athletes to college coaches and do offer refunds to those families. NCSA has remained committed to our Recruiting Specialists to keep a consistent compensation plan year over year after previously receiving complaints for changing it too often. We evaluate compensation across departments every year to remain competitive and will do so again for the upcoming year. Finally, I’m not sure what your VP said to you about Glassdoor, but I’m sorry if it felt like a bother or insincere. We do occasionally ask our teammates to write reviews on Glassdoor, as this is a Glassdoor best practice. These reviews are important to job seekers and is a way for our team members to share their anonymous feedback and tell their future teammates what it’s like to work here.

"Recruiting Specialist"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The company is giving athletes at all levels, and ranges on the spectrum the opportunity to get the things they need to get accomplished with being successfully recruited done in a manner that really helps them drive the process. The different tools & resources that are provided help an athlete and their family save so much time, and they are getting educated, mentored, help with video editing, and financial... aid assistance. All of these thing would not only take a lot longer time to do on your own as a family, and the cost associated would be much more expensive then what the cost associate with using NCSA would be. At the end of the day, families are getting the right instructions from former college coaches and players to make sure they are not missing out on the opportunity of playing in college. I have been with the company for almost 4 years, and I can truly say I love what we do and how we are helping families and kids that might have missed out on their opportunity of continuing to play at the college level and getting an education as well.

Cons

At this point, I really don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the Student athlete, and helping the family with better tools & resources a long the way.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-09-26

November 30, 2018VP of Sales

We’re glad to call you a teammate and thank you for your 4 years of helping student-athletes achieve their dreams of competing at the next level.

"THE THINGS WE THINK AND DO NOT SAY"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Are in position to help some families Talk sports Work from home Solid health benefits Great tools for athletes to use With the right changes, it could be a great company to work for again

Cons

No longer qualifies athletes Work 6 1/2 days/week but pressured to work 7 days 1 week/month Sales have become more difficult for 4 big reasons: Website stops working in the middle of your sales call too often New phone system doesn't work Growth has caused diluted leads We are setting everyone even when not qualified. Comp plan is outdated compared to current company landscape

Advice to Management

Everyone understands that it makes sense to continue to grow the company and bring in more revenue. The growth has the company breaking revenue records but the average Recruiting Specialist revenue is decreasing. That is a problem. Could you imagine if we were 100% salary and making $100k/year for years and then were told we will now be paid $70k when the company is making more money than ever before? It's not a... problem that sales are more difficult with the leads being more diluted. Just be straightforward with your sales staff about this and update the comp plan so that the average Specialist isn't taking a pay cut. We have a large number of people that were top performers consistently that have all of a sudden dropped off the face of the Earth this year. Did they all collectively forget how to sell? I currently give it 2 stars but with these changes I can see it going to 4 or 5 stars. I haven't heard anything from the top yet that leads me to be optimistic. I do believe these are simple concepts that may have just gone unnoticed due to a lack of experience at certain positions in upper management. It seems like we would benefit a great deal by bringing in someone from the outside to lead the sales staff that has an actual business background and education.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-09-27

December 18, 2018President

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. I would encourage you to reach out to me directly please, as I’d like to talk with you further and address some of your concerns directly. In the meantime, I’ll address a few of your points. You list some great pros such as working from home, solid benefits, helping families, talking sports and the strength of our product. As for your concerns, we track any time our website (www.ncsasports.org) or our proprietary technology (Recruit-Match) is not working, and we generally see 100% uptime. When down time does occur, it is typically very brief and promptly rectified, and is usaully not during prime hours. We have experienced some unexpected challenges with our new phone system as you mentioned, most of which have been addressed. While this technical challenge was certainly not ideal, to say the “new phone system doesn’t work” is a massive exaggeration. It sounds like your earnings dropped this last year and I am sorry to hear that. Many of our Specialists had their best year ever. Sales is tough and there will always be ups and downs and positives and negatives. Even though you may not realize it all the time, you work for a company that really cares about its people and is committed to finding new and greater ways for our committed high performing team members to be increasingly successful. I believe fully in our management team and hope you will reach out directly, so we have a chance to help you get back on a winning path.

"NCSA --High Quality Place of Work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The product and service is genuine and valuable. We genuinely care about our ability to make a difference in the lives of our clients. The leadership is compassionate and efforts to make this a great place to work. Every employee has an opportunity to succeed and be rewarded. Having worked in many different cultures, I can say that NCSA is truly high caliber. I have referred five job candidates in the last 3... years.

Cons

No company is perfect and there are always ways to improve. But, the pros far outweight the cons and anyone who puts in their best will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep pressing on your core values, reinvest in your high performers and continue to listen to employees to constantly improve and grow.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-09-09

November 30, 2018VP of Sales

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for referring so many people to NCSA so we can call them teammates as well! We promise to listen to your advice, as those are key elements to what makes us great!

"Recruiting Specialist"

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome environment. Management allows the opportunity for you to cultivate a personal relationship with them. Work from home. Great training and on going training throughout employment.

Cons

Not a level playing field when it comes to how they distribute meetings. While I'm totally fine with feeding the hot hand, it's difficult to get hot if the families you get are flat broke. The base salary is pretty low but commission structure is fair. If you have a badd month, be prepared to tap into savings as the base salary isn't competitive. Hours are evening + nights and weekends. Work life balance is... difficult as you work when others don't and vice versa.

Advice to Management

Job well done. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with NCSA. The hours were a little difficult to adjust to but this wasn't a surprise. Keep investing in your people the way that you do with training and getting to know them on a personal level. It makes working from home that much better!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-08-27

December 18, 2018EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for the compliment on a job well done to management. Ongoing training is vital to the direction that NCSA is going in as a company. We can’t control a family’s income, though we do have resources available to help families that can’t afford a membership with NCSA and that is something that recruiting specialist have control over. Recruiting Specialists do work non-traditional hours because that is when most families are together, and we are here to service them. Recruiting Specialists have a lot of control over their schedules and can choose when they are available for meetings. Again, I appreciate your positive review and wish you the best with your future endeavors.

"NCSA is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you have a strong sports background and are coachable, NCSA is an amazing place to work. In terms of the product you're representing, NCSA's recruiting tools and guidance are legitimate, so when families purchase memberships with NCSA they're legitimately doing something that will help their recruiting prospects. In terms of the job regarding sales: you're working leads that are set for you, and there's... abundant training opportunities to help you to be as successful as possible. Because pay is salary plus commission, you've got a bit of a safety net for the slower months, but you can really do well financially in the busier months. Residual commissions from different types of memberships also really help to even out your paychecks over time. Company culture is positive, and there are lots of other incentives to help you push towards meeting goals and standards.

Cons

The schedule can take some getting used to--you'll work 6 days/week if you're overtime eligible, some light work in the late morning for about an hour, and then normal hours are nights and weekends. If you can't/won't work nights and weekends, you'd want a different role within the company than recruiting specialist.

Advice to Management

The competitive nature of the job and commission structure makes the incentives to work 7 days/week hard to resist. If you're not careful, it can be easy to get burnt out.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2018-08-27

December 18, 2018EVP of Recruiting

Thanks for the review and thank you for your 1+ years of helping student-athletes!

Found 17 reviews