NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews

Updated 31 Jul 2020

3.9
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

amazing culture, solution, corporate social responsibility, interview process and onboarding. 100% of each and every employee I've interacted with and/or have seen in action is smart, has high integrity and expertise.

Cons

absolutely none. unbelievable and unprecedented. fabulous,

"Recruiting Specialist Rating"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home. Flexible hours. Great management!

Cons

You get what you put into it. As long as you put in the hours and take the coaching, you will have success!

"Fun Experience & Opportunity to grow"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to cut your teeth and there are opportunities to move within the company

Cons

Still feels like startup culture even after 20 years in business. constant change in expectations and multiple changes in commission

4. COVID-19

"Very happy here"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

NCSA is a great place. Strong culture is evident even during the last several months with everyone working remote due to COVID. Important mission of helping student-athletes within a high growth company.

Cons

It isn’t easy here. Everyone is pushed to be their best and performance metrics are taken seriously. I can see that being a con for some.

5. COVID-19

"Still love this company. Just disappointed in them."

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Truly positive company mission. Work you can be proud of. Very cool working environment, especially for athletes/former athletes. Great collection of like-minded people. Solid working community. Made lifelong friends there.

Cons

This is going to be a rant, and I doubt it's going to go anywhere, but I feel the need to outline my experience in the hope that it may by chance encourage some discussion at the managerial circle, and improve NCSA's handling of internal operations during Covid and beyond. (Also because it is cathartic in a situation where I feel I was given no voice). I had the privilege of working with NCSA for almost 4 years, and rose through the ranks over my stay there, occupying a number of positions. If there is one thing I think any of my managers/superiors would have said of me, its that I truly believed in the work that we did. I was all-in on the collective goal of helping student athletes make the most of their recruiting and achieve their dreams in college sports. Like any company, Covid abruptly changed how we all needed to operate in order to maintain business. Everyone is struggling to adjust to the new normal, and figuring out how to effectively work from home, and after my sales numbers dipped while on work-from-home orders, I was given a warning that I was being placed on what is referred to as a "Preformance Plan", essentially a probationary period during which an employee must meet specific sales minimums for a set duration or face disciplinary action "up to or including termination." Apparently during Covid, the duration of what had traditionally been the official company policy / probationary period was cut down to an "expedited" timeline, and I recieved no assistance during this time short of my manager telling me that I better get my numbers where they need to be or "we'll be parting ways." Beyond that, there was little communication/clarity on the specifics of this process, and funny enough, I actually believed by the end of this period that I had successfully met the required numbers to breathe a breath of relief that I had kept my job. My Fiancee and I even had a toast over it, which I laugh about now. I was surprised with a morning Zoom appointment for a "Check In" with my manager on an off Wednesday, only to find that when I logged in, my manager was joined by a company HR representative. My manager casually asked me how my morning was going before reading off of a script to tell me that I was being fired. He then got up and walked away from his desk, leaving his webcam displaying video of his empty living room while the HR representative instructed me to mail them back any company equipment that I had at home, and told me that my last paycheck and health insurance would end in ten days. I was in such shock at the surrealism of the situation that I didn't even know what to ask at the time. I assumed that the company would at least make the effort to follow up with some form of written overview of my termination including the official reason / specific breach of policy that initiated it, so that I could at a minimum be able to accurately proceed with the unemployment process. Nothing. The only correspondence I have received to date was an emailed shipping label so I can send them back their phone. So here I am, trying to figure out how to file for unemployment, without health insurance, in the middle of a global health pandemic and the worst job market in decades, and I'm most of all just disappointed in the absolute lack of humanity in the way this was handled. I know everyone has a lot going on right now, and each individual employee cant expect to be the center of attention, but I think this experience really showed an egregious failure to meet the company's core value of "Team First". I will still speak highly of the work that NCSA does as a company. I truly believe that they put good into the world. And at the end of the day, it's a business, I get it. If my sales numbers aren't meeting the threshold at which the company profits from my employment, then it does not make sense to continue to employ me. There are no qualms there. I also applaud NCSA for doing what they could in the early stages of the pandemic to keep us employed, safe/healthy, and avoiding layoffs. I am just profoundly disappointed in how I personally was treated as an employee who has been with the company for almost 4 years of my life, feeling like I was tossed aside like it was nothing and no skin off anyone's back. No humanity in the gravity of the situation whatsoever. There is a signed letter from our President Lisa Strasman still in the office pinned to my desk that has been there since we were sent home for quarantine. It was sent to me on my 3 year anniversary with the company, thanking me for my loyalty and telling me to let her know if there is anything she can ever help with. If this message ever makes it that far up the chain, I ask only that she keep in mind that employees are people, not just statistics. I truly hope this was a one-off failure and that I was the only unlucky recipient of this dehumanising and disrespectful treatment, but a conversation with your managers about handling personnel situations with some level of dignity/reverence, especially in the time of Covid, would go a long way. It means more than you would think.

June 30, 2020President

I really appreciate your post and wish it was not anonymous so I could call you to personally discuss your situation. I want to thank you again for your loyalty and for your 4 years of contribution to our NCSA mission. I am very sorry to hear that it was unclear that your goals were not met while on the performance improvement plan. We have a structured process for these situations which typically includes a great deal of documentation and communication between the team member and their manager. It sounds like there was unfortunately some sort of breakdown in this situation. I am also saddened to learn that the final zoom conversation was not handled as empathetically as it could have and should have been. These types of conversations are always tough for everyone involved – especially the person leaving the organization - and your note provides a great reminder for us to reinforce empathy and best practices with remote communication across our organization. Please know that I truly take your message to heart, and will work with our team to ensure that all team members are always treated with the utmost respect and compassion, especially in difficult times. I wish you the very best and again, thank you.

6. COVID-19

"COVID problem"

Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Home Gardens, CA

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

good schedule of work and free time

Cons

high pressure sales environment would be my main con.

"This is just ok"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with a a cool office environment when you are in the office. Young company culture.

Cons

Calling people for for at least 9 hours a day straight. Company will make you feel bad for taking PTO and try to make you make it up over the weekend

"The most stressful place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company events (turkey bowl). Nothing else

Cons

Long work hours, can be at risk of getting fired if you don’t hit your goals for just 1 month

June 30, 2020President

Thank you for your review. We hear your frustration and understand the importance of a healthy work-life balance. NCSA makes a conscious effort to support our teammates and empower them to maintain a work-life balance. In light of COVID-19, we recently added a Mental Health Day for all teammates to use an extra day of PTO. We also offer regular personal and professional development courses to help teammates deal with stress and develop healthy time management skills and encourage all teammates to take advantage of these resources. Recruiting Coordinators typically work 45 hours per week or approx. 9 hours per day. However, in June, RC work hours were actually below average around 43 hours per week. Because this is a sales role and numbers driven, teammates often choose to take advantage of additional overtime if available to hit and/or exceed targets. We also do provide opportunities for growth within the role and in fact, this year we rolled out a new advancement structure that gives recruiting coordinators the opportunity to advance to new levels each quarter. Over the first 2 quarters of 2020, we have had 100+ coordinators advance. We now have the ability to recognize coordinators across all tenures and skill sets that are competing for advancement. We appreciate your feedback and will work to ensure our teammates feel they can speak up if they need support to finding a healthy work-life balance.

"Terrible company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food and social events

Cons

The review is as simple as saying that NCSA does not provide the same opportunities for black men and women that it does for WHITE men and women. This company is 90% white. This is a company to work at if you're a young white male, you will succeed of course. I worked at NCSA for 2 years and have seen opportunities go by black people and go on to white people - even though both had the same qualifications if not better. Shoutouts and kudos slip by poc, and when brought up to management and HR. It’s always ‘’we’ll handle it’’ but with no change. This company looks out for white men first, white women second, and if you're black then good luck. While I was working at this job voicing my opinion and advocating for myself was seen as being combative. I have been threatened with being fired for minor offenses, with one manager stating ''If i wanted to fire you I could have already''. I have been in more meetings about my ''behavior'' simply for not having that ''yes massa'' mentality when it comes to management. I tried to move on to another position within the company and had more experience in this field, and the position was given to a white man with less experience. I have seen racism and prejudice come from leadership and management and it's one of the reasons you cannot move forward in this company as a black person. I got called out on things they didn't even bat an eye for when it came to white people. And when it comes to their clients, they racial profile according to location. Please do not work here if you want to be treated fairly and grown within this company.. This job will do nothing for you but stress you out and bring you down if you are a person of color. I was not a bad employee, just black.

June 15, 2020President

I am disappointed that Glassdoor would allow an anonymous former employee to post blatantly inaccurate statements about our company’s diversity. These claims are completely fictional. NCSA has a long history of highly successful black talent, including management. NCSA always has and always will be a diverse and inclusive place. While we are always pushing ourselves to improve, we never have and never will discriminate based on race or any other demographic factor.

10. COVID-19

"Supportive and helpful Staff!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a Recruiting Coordinator at NCSA for just under 2 years. During my time at the company, I was very happy with the work environment, management and culture. Although I had a great experience, in reality the coordinator position is not typically a lifelong career. This being said, after two years I had found another great opportunity in sales that I felt would help me take a positive step forward in my career. During this transition, I had nothing but support from my manager and higher level leadership at the company. They helped make my transition seamless, and wanted what was best for me and my future career path. It was great to have a relationship with them that warranted support and transparency. Like many others I was impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic and found myself out of work before my new job began. I was extremely grateful that my direct manager and the VP of recruiting were kind enough to allow me to come back to NCSA given the circumstances. It really speaks on their character and the respect that they have for their employees! I highly recommend working for NCSA.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

June 8, 2020VP of Recruiting Managers

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we’re so happy to have you back on the team!

Found 343 reviews