NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Oct 17, 2019

3.7
NCSA Next College Student Athlete CEO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

"I actually enjoy coming to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many pros about working on the NCSA Team. #1 - Everyone can get behind our mission - we help student athlete's & their families on the path to realize their dreams and at the very least provide an education on the recruiting process as well as information to help our clients make informed choices. #2 - From a work environment standpoint - the company cares and invests in the people and the benefits. ... The work is interesting, fast paced, and makes an impact. And #3 - From a people standpoint, our teammates are OUTSTANDING. It is an organization of smart, interesting, innovative, fun and hardworking people that like being part of something that is bigger than any one person. What we do matters!

Cons

No organization is perfect but I do not have anything specific to cite. I would also add that teammates' input is listened to and taken very seriously. Upgrades and improvements are made on an ongoing basis to benefits, perks, job structure, and candidate experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to care, innovate, and engage the team as you already do.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-06-05

June 17, 2019President

Thank you for your thorough feedback! I am glad to hear you enjoy what you do and who you work with. I could not agree more that we have an incredible NCSA team in support of an important mission. Thanks again and let me know if I can ever help in any way.

"Great People, Mission and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been at NCSA for 8 years and can tell you that this is truly a great place to work. Leadership cares about its employees (called teammates at NCSA). Yes, they also care about being profitable because, let’s face it, we wouldn’t be where we are today if they didn’t! But, if you really know our leadership team, you’ll see they’re a group of passionate people who care about our families, our teammates and... prioritize them while still being able to grow our bottom line. I’ve stayed at NCSA for so long because of multiple reasons, but here are several of my favorite reasons why I love working here. 1. Working with like-minded, passionate people who are laid back, fun, competitive and all of the other words you’d use to describe your favorite teammates from your last sports team. 2. The work culture is mostly laid back even though we’re busy year-round. We work hard but play hard too, with lots of company and team events throughout the year. 3. We have a lot of ways for employees to step up and get involved in ways outside of their day to day responsibilities. We have a Dream Team, a mentorship program, give back opportunities, Bible study, women’s resource group, and an “Athleadership” leadership team, plus much more I’m likely forgetting! I truly believe in the mission of NCSA, changing lives through sports, and our core values that we all live by every day. I come to work every day knowing that the work I do helps toward achieving our mission in even the smallest way. When our president gets up at our monthly team huddles (meetings) and reports on how many families we enrolled or how many athletes committed to a college, I know I had a hand in helping these athletes. While every position at NCSA has its own unique challenges (what job doesn’t?!), there are plenty more things I enjoy about my job and my company that far outweigh any con. If you come into any position at NCSA with the right mindset, come in ready to work hard and are passionate about helping student-athletes, I'm sure you'll find success here, be recognized, and ultimately, have some fun doing it!

Cons

NCSA is still a growing company, which means things can change. As long as you're open to change, understand why we can't be complacent and how change can help you grow as a professional, you'll do well here!

Advice to Management

No advice, just a thank you!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-05-07

May 13, 2019President

Wow, thank you for painting such a great (and in my opinion spot-on) picture of NCSA’s culture!! I appreciate your 8+ years of hard work and dedication and look forward to working together for many years to come.

"Good Job, not career"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nice People - Lots of helpful training - Talk about sports - Some days can go fast if you get lots of good conversations

Cons

- Gets repetitive - Management listens to your calls - work lots of Saturdays

Advice to Management

More Freedom, Overall decent experience though

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-05-05

May 13, 2019VP of Recruiting

Thank you for you review. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience during your time with NCSA. To address a few of your concerns, managers do listen to some client facing calls in order to effectively coach our teammates – this is part of our continuous training program. Many top Recruiting Coordinators rarely or never work Saturdays. Saturday work is always an option for Coordinators who want to catch up or get ahead, and Saturdays can be a prime day to reach families. Recruiting Coordinators average 45 hours per work week over the course of a month. Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you the best of luck along your career journey.

"Proud of My Work... Wish I found NCSA Earlier"

Current Employee - Vice President of Recruiting

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with NCSA for 5 years and this company couldn't have been a better change in my life at the time. Not only is it a highly competitive environment (We do have a great number of former athletes...), but at the end of the day you know you are helping families better their lives. Coming from a retail background with a day-to-day grind the ability to talk sports and have a lasting impact on so many young... people makes it much easier for my feet to hit the ground and go to work than ever before.

Cons

Due to the many jobs and career in retail management prior, I do not have any cons. The life experiences have shown me there was more out there and I am happy to have found NCSA.

Advice to Management

Continue the awesome work. We strive to get things right daily. The work and effort which is put in has made the majority very happy. Continue to hear what the employees from all levels are saying and don't stop your attempts to deliver on their expectations. Thank you for your support and positive energy.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-04-23

May 13, 2019President

Thank you for the 5 years that you have dedicated to helping student-athletes find the right college fit. I greatly appreciate your advice and will be sure to continue to support our teammates. Along those lines, please let me know if I can every help you in any way as you continue to advance your NCSA career.

"Worst place on the planet...it’s time share sales for college recruiting..think long and hard.."

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Summit, MS

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don’t see any positive about this company it’s an ethical nightmare

Cons

Well let’s see first they will sell you a dream of working from home and making 100-150k a year. You quickly find out this is not the case. They fly you to chicago for training so you think ok this must be legit. Then it all goes down hill from that point. You will be working all night and all weekend. Basically 7 days a week. They say that’s not a requirement but in order to make any money be prepared to. The... people you will be making sales calls to are unreal. Over 70% of them qualify for the National School Lunch program and have no money to spend. Yet they will want you to sell them a membership when these people are basically on welfare. Only place I have ever been around where they put the salesmen on with people with no money. The leads are horrible and then if you don’t hit your numbers which it’s impossible to most months. They will fire you. Management is totally incompetent absolutely no business sense. It’s where fired coaches go when they can’t get a job.

Advice to Management

Get a real manager in place who knows how to grow a company. You have outgrown your market and are scamming poor people into giving there credit card information. Instead of over hiring become lean and mean. It should be obvious to anyone with business sense that you have outgrown your market. Become a lean mean ebitda machine instead of trying to grow revenue.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-05-31

June 24, 2019EVP of Recruiting

It is clear from the title of your review “worst place on the planet” that this post represents a real distortion of reality. I am sorry that you were not able to find success and positively connect with NCSA’s mission and core values. If you are still with the organization, please reach out to me or our HR team asap to discuss further as I’m very concerned that you feel this way yet are continuing to talk to families. I’ll address a few points for the benefit of potential future team members. First, we discuss the Recruiting Specialist position at length with candidates during the interview process. It’s very important to us that candidates have a clear picture of the role they’re stepping into since we know it is a unique lifestyle working nights and weekends to meet with families when they’re home from work, school and practice. However, we don’t ever expect anyone to work 7 days week and the average Specialist works about 50 hours per week, which is common for a commissioned sales role. We also share average Specialist compensation which is lower than the figures mentioned here. Many Recruiting Specialists do earn well over six figures, however we never try to “sell” any new candidate on those earnings levels. It is unfortunate that this poster did not support NCSA’s Give Back initiatives. We offer substantial discounts for any family who participates in the National School Lunch Program, and if those fees are cost prohibitive Recruiting Specialists can recommend an unlimited number of All In Awards – NCSA’s highest level of service at no cost - to deserving families. We do run across families in financial need and have process in place to ensure no family is turned away for financial reasons. And as a Specialist, this poster knows we have special discounted and free memberships, and I sincerely hope these are being offered the way they are intended.

"NCSA IS THE PLACE TO BE!"

Current Employee - Vice President Recruiting in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have been here 10 years. NCSA is am amazing place to work. You get to help families in the recruiting process and make a difference in their lives. For me everyone just truly cares at NCSA. I got very sick about two years ago and got phone calls and support from every single top level executive. I truly felt loved and cared about. I have been at a few companies over my 20 year professional career and this is by... far the best! This is a place you want to be.

Cons

For me there are no cons. I can't imagine ever working anywhere else. I love it here. Helping families day in and day out is truly rewarding. You read some of these reviews and frankly the majority of it is just not true. This is truly a place you want to be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There are so many more happy people here than unhappy people. Keep listening to the employees as you always have done in my 10 years here and make changes that you see fit.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-04-17

May 13, 2019President

Thank you for the post. You are right, not only do we care about the lives of student-athletes, we also care deeply about the lives of our amazing teammates. I appreciate your compliments and wish you continued success. Don’t hesitate to reach out directly if I can ever help in any way.

"Great People, Not So Great Hours"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits Awesome people to work with Work from home No cold calling(meetings are set for you)

Cons

Constantly pressed to add more meetings and take more calls. No life during the week since we're working 4 pm-midnight most nights. 7 day/week job. Work life balance can be tough. Only way to make good money is working 70 hrs./week.

Advice to Management

Higher commission %'s and teach higher close % instead of just constantly adding meetings.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-04-09

April 29, 2019EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your review and for the compliments on our awesome teammates and culture! Throughout the interview process for the Recruiting Specialist role, we are clear about the work hours that this role requires. Recruiting Specialists are advised to work these hours because these are the times that most families are available due to work, school and sports schedules. On the other hand, we are constantly looking for ways to improve work-life balance for all of our teammates, and the Recruiting Specialist hours have been a focus for leadership because we know talking with families on nights and weekends can be challenging at times. We do not want our Recruiting Specialists working 7 days a week and 70 hours/week. The average Specialist works 6 days a week. We feel it’s super important for our Recruiting Specialists to take at least one full day off every week and work somewhere between 40-52 hours/week. We appreciate the advice, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you become more efficient in your role.

"Helping families one call at a time"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great environment, competitive environment, Love the sales aspect of this, your effort = your success.

Cons

Work too many hours / working weekends sucks

Advice to Management

Do not require weekend work!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-04-01

April 10, 2019Director of Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback! We are constantly looking for ways to improve work-life balance for our teammates. As the volume of families that need help increases, we do need more hands-on help on the weekends at times. Weekend work is rarely ever mandatory and the average Recruiting Coordinator works 45 hours. If you ever feel like your schedule is unreasonable, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly to discuss. I am glad you appreciate our competitive environment. As always, if there is anything we can do to help don’t hesitate to ask.

"Don’t Do it! Walk away now! Especially if You’re a Woman"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Flo, TX

Pros

Working from home and ability to talk to some pretty cool people throughout the day

Cons

Boys Club, Micro Management, Unfair Office Practices, Sexism. They also over promise and under deliver. Pay is really bad and they want you to work like a dog and if you don’t or take small breaks throughout the day, prepare be chastised, belittled and yelled at

Advice to Management

Don’t think that you can pay them what essentially equates to $13 an hour and treat them disrespect, condensation and belittlement. Train your management team on social issues and common decency

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-05-11

May 28, 2019President

If you are still in fact working for NCSA, please come talk to me or a member of our HR team as soon as you possibly can. As the leader of the organization and a female, I can say that NCSA is a place where sexism is never tolerated. To your other points, I can understand how a new entry level sales rep may feel micro-managed, especially if he/she has some performance challenges which sounds like it may be your situation. Adapting to a high-volume direct sales culture can be a challenge for some, and our managers work hard to assist new team members with learning best practices to make them successful in the role and within the organization. There is a clear difference between tough management and disrespect. Again, please come speak with a senior leader regarding your situation. We can help you find success and happiness at NCSA, and if it turns out the position is not to your liking that’s okay and we can help with that too.

"Couldn't have asked for a better first job"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NCSA was my first job out of college and I could not have asked for a better opportunity. You will not find a better company culture, coworkers, or overall team (not to mention the office is awesome). NCSA events like the Turkey Bowl, Christmas Party etc are also nothing short of a blast NCSA allows you to grow and develop your own brand. They have a Career Development Program in place for motivated top... performers, and managers that genuinely care about you as a person and professional. It is a young and rapidly growing company and new opportunities are always popping up. Lastly, at the end of the day you get to impact the lives of student athletes and help them achieve their dream of playing in college which can be incredibly rewarding. I referred one of my closest friends to NCSA and he is loving it as well. The past 2.5+ years I got to go in and like my job everyday.

Cons

At times it can be a grind, and there can be growing pains but management is always looking out for the employees and making changes. The bad times don't last.

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-03-29

April 10, 2019Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the 2.5+ years that you dedicated to helping families navigate the recruiting process. We also appreciate your referral; great teammates are what helps us have such an awesome work culture. We wish you the best of luck with your career journey!

Found 316 reviews