NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews

Updated 31 Jul 2020

3.9
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

"Low paying, high pressure sales job."

1.0
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Coppell, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Ability to work from home 2. $65 a month wellness reimbursement 3. Get to talk sports with families 4. Good intro to sales job

Cons

1. PAY IS TERRIBLE 2. Commission structure is all whacked up. You don’t start make commission until your 20th enrollment 3. High turnover rate 4. You sign for 45 hours, we are now in a season of work where they make you work 47-50 hours a week 5. If you don’t hit your “set goal” for the week, manager MAKES you work the weekend, even if you are ahead of pace for minimums for the month. 6. Did I say pay is terrible? 7. Whole bunch of micromanagers. 8. 100+ calls a day

August 29, 2019VP of Recruiting

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We appreciate you acknowledging the pros of working at NCSA, but I would like to address your cons. Recruiting Coordinators are expected to work 45 hours a week. In peak season, where parents and their student athletes are looking to connect into the evening hours, we present the option for those looking to go above and beyond to work additional hours if the desire is to engage in more conversations. Being a performance based role, we have had a lot of individuals take advantage of that opportunity to positively impact their monthly outlook from a results standpoint. Weekend work is recommended for those off pace for their targets or that are struggling to find efficiency in the role Monday through Friday. The majority of our Recruiting Coordinators do get to enjoy weekends off! If you have any other concerns that you don’t feel comfortable addressing with your manager directly, please reach out to me directly.

2. "Not bad for a first job, but moving on is necessary and common"

2.0
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and friendly coworkers

Cons

Management played favorites and atmosphere may have been too relaxed for some

August 1, 2019President

Thank you for leaving us your honest feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the work culture here. Favoritism is not something we tolerate here at NCSA and this is something we will be sure to address with our team. Any teammates that feel this way are welcomed to come and speak with me so that it can be addressed directly as well.

"Realistic review from a trusted employee that had moved up"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

I spent over 2 years here and my professional career grew tremendously, but I was lucky. The company has grown a lot and has changed since when I first started at the company. This place is great for a first job and to be able to really gain some sales skills because you are dealing with parents and can get a lot of pushback where you can grow some thick skin.

Cons

With all that being said above, I dont believe that this company is going in the right direction. I firmly believe in growth, but I also believe there is a difference between growth and trying to finesse the system. When I first started working at NCSA, it was all about making sure families are getting a good experience and were helping people. I had heard things amongst management about company direction I was not a fan of. Now it seems that they are just trying to hire people to up the company's revenue goals where they can pay less people out on commission because there are there are less recruits to then dish out to more people so it is harder for people to make money

August 1, 2019President

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your feedback. We are sad to see one of our Senior Recruiting Coordinators go and we appreciate the hard work that you put in to help student-athletes find the right fit. It is great that you were able to build your sales and customer service skills here. To address your concerns, we have increased job opportunities because we are receiving more recruits month over month. And just as it has always been, helping families is still our #1 priority at NCSA. Again, thank you for your time here and we wish you the best of luck!

"An Actual Review of NCSA (Good and Bad)"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

NCSA's product is rivaled by none, truly. What they can provide to families (paid or free) is amazing. They are the #1 recruiting company in the world and are used by college coaches for a reason, they truly do help connect athletes. While their website is great for connecting, it could use an update (servers go down a fair amount, accounts/pages look dated, very light filter to actually join). But overall it is a great product. If you call this company a scam, you're lying and you truly don't understand what NCSA provides, a great example of that would be their All-in Award. Another pro is that there are truly good people working there as well. Coworkers and some managers are great people and truly believe they're attempting to help high school athletes ( I sure did initially).

Cons

Okay, here's where is very rough. NCSA as a whole is a company designed to connect student athletes to college coaches, but it quickly developed into a telemarketing company. I'll break down each part so you can get a good understanding of why I mention each part. On the Glassdoor NCSA is reviewed as a 3.1 out of 5 for "work life balance" and boy is that very inaccurate. You're required to do 45 hours a week, minimum. Okay that's fine, you're paid hourly and get OT, however you are pressured every week to work weekends. Is it the first weekend of the month? Better work to get a head start on this month you need to change kids lives. Have a holiday off (which they give you off fairly) you better work the weekend because families are on vacation and you need well over 130+ sets this month to get goal or you'll get written up. You could be the top performer for 2 months on your team and still get written up the next month for being a few sets short and having PTO (true story). They allow most people to work from home, some what to eliminate the commute (which can be bad because of location, that Chicago) but mostly to work extra. There is extremely high turnover and they're used to burning out post college athletes looking for a job because they didn't get an internship or had poor grades. The quality of athletes has really diminished the product too, they allow almost anyone in because of the high pressure they put on workers to succeed. This is a sales job, period. You aren't a "recruiting coordinator", you're a telemarketer who makes anywhere from 50 - 110 calls a day (depending on your "sets" more info on that later). You aren't a scout, you make sure the kid played a day of a sport and then set them up for a meeting. Your actual evaluation of a kid doesn't matter because "every kid is recruitable" (that's a quote from management, not made up). I've had and heard managers say that, because the product itself is diminished due to of no filter for these kids. Are you 5'2, 120 LBS who was a starter on a 0-10 football team? (For reference that kid would never see the field at any college) Set a time to talk to our "coach" blah blah to learn how to get recruited! The leads that they give you come from several very reputable and good pipelines, but most of your leads come from parents signing kids for their high school and clicked a random box. They want you to pass in any kid that touched a field or ran on a track because they need to hit their "aggressive" sales numbers. The meetings you set will be extremely hit or miss on whether you get the sale or not for a multitude of reasons beyond your control. For one, they tell you to "set your specialist up for success" by telling them that this "coach" (and many have extensive backgrounds or achievements truly, then you also have your 300 lb old men who wear sweat shorts to work all day). But they can suck at their job too, you're told you need to "fill their calendars" because it's all a #'s game. Make as many calls as you can to hopefully get 40% of your families to show up for a meeting (at that % you're an all star), to hopefully get a close rate of 30% because you can't get a single parent to drop $900 on a LinkedIn premium plus 1 highlight tape (they can make for free most likely). Oh yeah, about 80% of the leads you get will be reused or repeat leads because their filtration is a joke almost, and they say you should only call a family 3 times. However they don't care how many times a family gets called you will get your phone blown up for the sales call. You have to make so many dials in comparison to your sets, there's a nice little chart, and if you don't hit it be prepared to be shamed in front of your coworkers because "you're not a team player and let everyone else down." Too many negatives outweigh the positives sadly. There's many more however these are the biggest highlights.

July 23, 2019President

I appreciate the thought that went into your review. It is clear you’ve given a lot of thought to all sides of our organization. The average Recruiting Coordinator works 45 hours/week and very few exceed 50 hours/week. This is far from excessive for a commission-based sales role. Yes, the Recruiting Coordinator role is a sales role and we are very upfront about that during the hiring process. You are correct when you say that “you aren’t a scout”. The company moved away from “scouting” terminology years ago and the role of the Recruiting Coordinator is to contact families who have submitted information to NCSA, answer their basic questions, see if the student-athlete meets some basic qualifications, and if so, to schedule a meeting with a Recruiting Specialist who will spend more time with the family and more thoroughly assess the student-athlete’s recruiting progress. NCSA does have recruiting guidelines for each sport, and the reality is that if a family has the right expectations, we typically we can help them find a place to play. College coaches from all levels including junior college and club programs lean on NCSA to help them fill their rosters. If anything, coaches ask us for more players – they do not complain that the pool is diluted because we provide a variety of search filters and only send them targeted lists of student-athletes who make sense for their school. As you note, the NCSA product works, and it works for athletes at all different talent levels. We do have a screening process in place and will provide a refund if one or our Recruiting Coach ever determines that we are not able to help an athlete after they have enrolled. As you mention, I fully believe that with every single interaction, we can change the lives of student-athletes. I have read the thank you notes and personally seen many examples of profound results. We are growing the business and in turn helping more student-athletes reach their dreams. As with any growing business, I do recognize that there are challenges. At NCSA we have always found ways to overcome any speed bump or obstacle we have faced throughout our nearly 20-year history. I appreciate and take to heart your advice. You are correct that the NCSA product is second to none, and the All-In Award is an important vehicle to help financially challenged families obtain access to our premium recruiting memberships. We are fortunate to have a large team of incredible people supporting our mission of helping student-athletes have a positive recruiting experience and ultimately find the best possible college fit.

"Good entry level position for someone right out of college"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

Pros

You help families understand recruiting more than they did before you call them, you feel fulfilled emotionally when you see a commit come in from a family you helped, if you're in the Chicago office you encounter a lot of like minded people that enjoy sports, and overall you obtain positive inside sales experience.

Cons

actual opportunity to earn a competitive amount of money

July 3, 2019VP of Recruiting

Thank you for your review. I agree, the Recruiting Coordinator role is an amazing opportunity for recent college grads to gain sales and communication experience. It is very fulfilling to be able to help student-athletes begin their recruiting journeys. Through the recruiting coordinator salary, overtime potential, commission component, and bonus opportunities, we feel that the earning potential is accurately aligned with being an entry level role. I respect your financial goals and hope that you can accomplish them having success as a recruiting coordinator. I would like to speak with you further about your sentiments regarding your comments about favoritism so I can better understand your specific concerns. Please reach out to me directly.

6. "Fantastic Place Filled With Special People"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

At NCSA everyone is working towards the important mission of helping kids find the right college fit. The culture is amazing and we literally get to be part of a giant team filled with former college athletes. You'd think such a group could be cutthroat but to the contrary, I've never been in an environment where I felt more supported by my peers. We have the opportunity to compete with ourselves and to earn a great living while being in a fast paced, growing, fun environment and making a difference in many people's lives.

Cons

NCSA can be a challenging environment with lofty goals and high expectations. It can also be hard to find time to connect with busy families during the day which can cause some juggling or nontraditional hours. The company is quick to change things which takes some getting used to.

July 3, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback and we also appreciate your advice! We are very happy to hear that you have experienced a great work environment while providing a great service to student-athletes and their families. You are right, it can be hard to connect with families due to their busy schedules, and we truly appreciate our teammates for putting in the work to help ensure we can accommodate the needs of our families and ultimately help them find the right college fit.

"I actually enjoy coming to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many pros about working on the NCSA Team. #1 - Everyone can get behind our mission - we help student athlete's & their families on the path to realize their dreams and at the very least provide an education on the recruiting process as well as information to help our clients make informed choices. #2 - From a work environment standpoint - the company cares and invests in the people and the benefits. The work is interesting, fast paced, and makes an impact. And #3 - From a people standpoint, our teammates are OUTSTANDING. It is an organization of smart, interesting, innovative, fun and hardworking people that like being part of something that is bigger than any one person. What we do matters!

Cons

No organization is perfect but I do not have anything specific to cite. I would also add that teammates' input is listened to and taken very seriously. Upgrades and improvements are made on an ongoing basis to benefits, perks, job structure, and candidate experience.

June 17, 2019President

Thank you for your thorough feedback! I am glad to hear you enjoy what you do and who you work with. I could not agree more that we have an incredible NCSA team in support of an important mission. Thanks again and let me know if I can ever help in any way.

8. "Great People, Great Culture, Great Company"

5.0

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work we do here really matters. There are so many families with qualified athletes that don't know where to start when trying to navigate college athletic recruiting. I am so impressed with people at NCSA. They really care about helping these families find the schools are that are the right fit academically and athletically. I loved when we share "success stories" about the families that we help. When families email us telling they have committed to a school and would never have found that opportunity without NCSA. The parents are so proud and thankful. It is those moments that remind all us ultimately that is why we are here. The work is hard and it is not easy but it rewarding to be a part of team that's sole mission is to help as many kids as possible find that right fit and set them up for success.

Cons

No real cons but you have to know that the pace is fast. The leadership of the company really cares about its employees but we work very hard and often not to just punch a clock but work until the job is done! If you want to be challenged, work hard and be a part of a special mission then NCSA is the right place for you.

Continue reading

"Great People, Mission and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been at NCSA for 8 years and can tell you that this is truly a great place to work. Leadership cares about its employees (called teammates at NCSA). Yes, they also care about being profitable because, let’s face it, we wouldn’t be where we are today if they didn’t! But, if you really know our leadership team, you’ll see they’re a group of passionate people who care about our families, our teammates and prioritize them while still being able to grow our bottom line. I’ve stayed at NCSA for so long because of multiple reasons, but here are several of my favorite reasons why I love working here. 1. Working with like-minded, passionate people who are laid back, fun, competitive and all of the other words you’d use to describe your favorite teammates from your last sports team. 2. The work culture is mostly laid back even though we’re busy year-round. We work hard but play hard too, with lots of company and team events throughout the year. 3. We have a lot of ways for employees to step up and get involved in ways outside of their day to day responsibilities. We have a Dream Team, a mentorship program, give back opportunities, Bible study, women’s resource group, and an “Athleadership” leadership team, plus much more I’m likely forgetting! I truly believe in the mission of NCSA, changing lives through sports, and our core values that we all live by every day. I come to work every day knowing that the work I do helps toward achieving our mission in even the smallest way. When our president gets up at our monthly team huddles (meetings) and reports on how many families we enrolled or how many athletes committed to a college, I know I had a hand in helping these athletes. While every position at NCSA has its own unique challenges (what job doesn’t?!), there are plenty more things I enjoy about my job and my company that far outweigh any con. If you come into any position at NCSA with the right mindset, come in ready to work hard and are passionate about helping student-athletes, I'm sure you'll find success here, be recognized, and ultimately, have some fun doing it!

Cons

NCSA is still a growing company, which means things can change. As long as you're open to change, understand why we can't be complacent and how change can help you grow as a professional, you'll do well here!

May 13, 2019President

Wow, thank you for painting such a great (and in my opinion spot-on) picture of NCSA’s culture!! I appreciate your 8+ years of hard work and dedication and look forward to working together for many years to come.

"Good Job, not career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nice People - Lots of helpful training - Talk about sports - Some days can go fast if you get lots of good conversations

Cons

- Gets repetitive - Management listens to your calls - work lots of Saturdays

May 13, 2019VP of Recruiting

Thank you for you review. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience during your time with NCSA. To address a few of your concerns, managers do listen to some client facing calls in order to effectively coach our teammates – this is part of our continuous training program. Many top Recruiting Coordinators rarely or never work Saturdays. Saturday work is always an option for Coordinators who want to catch up or get ahead, and Saturdays can be a prime day to reach families. Recruiting Coordinators average 45 hours per work week over the course of a month. Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you the best of luck along your career journey.

Found 343 reviews