NCSA Next College Student Athlete Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.8
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman
Pros
  • "Can work from home if you consistently hit numbers(in 54 reviews)

• "It was very rewarding to help Student/Athletes and families prepare for a very exciting time in their lives(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "I believe the work/life balance has improved since my time(in 47 reviews)

• "When I took my job as a 'Head Scout' at this company I could not have been more excited(in 22 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Rewarding work and fun company."

Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a remote position. It was very rewarding to help Student/Athletes and families prepare for a very exciting time in their lives. NCSA's product lets you really be a consultant instead of a salesman. Many families contact NCSA for help and are already somewhat informed.

Cons

I believe the work/life balance has improved since my time. But, for years, we had no PTO and literally never took a day off. An extremely competitive environment led me to work every single day for over a year. M-F, saturdays, sundays etc. Literally 365. I believe this has improved, but I worry they don't care about employee turnover.

January 21, 2020EVP of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to review NCSA as a former employee, and thank you for your time helping families for so many years! We hope you’re very happy in your new position. And thanks for pointing out the work/life balance improvements. We continue to make this a priority and promise to continue to make improvements when and where possible. We’re very open about Recruiting Specialist hours and provide candidates with a realistic picture into the nights and weekends hours you have to work in order to meet with families, and hope these conversations lead to hiring the right people for such a unique and invaluable role at our company.

"Opportunity to help others"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great product and guiding, helping and educating families

Cons

work, life balance seems to be out of whack.

November 19, 2019VP of Sales

Thank you for your review! Our management team will continue to work on finding the right balance between work and life for our teammates.

"Salary Incredibly Low"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive, sports driven tech company with lofty goals

Cons

Work life balance is zero. To be successful you need to work 6 days a week.

November 19, 2019VP of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The role is intended to be a 5 day 45 hour work week. We have a lot of teammates that take advantage of weekend flexibility in order to hit targets, personal goals, and in order to connect with families that they couldn’t reach during the work week. We strive to coach and communicate better ways to be efficient within the role while a coordinators skill set continues to improve. We see majority of our team fulfill their expectation Monday through Friday each week. On an annual basis, we review coordinator compensation to make sure we can be competitive in the tech sales market. We are sad to see a teammate go but we wish you luck as you continue with your career!

"Nice Entry Level Work"

Current Employee - Support Team Member

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete part-time

Pros

Great company, nice office, great people

Cons

Not many perks that actually show (for full time employees), little work/life balance

July 17, 2019HR

Thank you for the feedback! I suggest you speak with your direct manager regarding your schedule and any challenges you may be having. We do offer a variety of perks for full-time team members including laptop reimbursement, wellness reimbursement, work from home opportunities and more. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to stop by HR. We are always happy to help!

"An Actual Review of NCSA (Good and Bad)"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

NCSA's product is rivaled by none, truly. What they can provide to families (paid or free) is amazing. They are the #1 recruiting company in the world and are used by college coaches for a reason, they truly do help connect athletes. While their website is great for connecting, it could use an update (servers go down a fair amount, accounts/pages look dated, very light filter to actually join). But overall it is a great product. If you call this company a scam, you're lying and you truly don't understand what NCSA provides, a great example of that would be their All-in Award. Another pro is that there are truly good people working there as well. Coworkers and some managers are great people and truly believe they're attempting to help high school athletes ( I sure did initially).

Cons

Okay, here's where is very rough. NCSA as a whole is a company designed to connect student athletes to college coaches, but it quickly developed into a telemarketing company. I'll break down each part so you can get a good understanding of why I mention each part. On the Glassdoor NCSA is reviewed as a 3.1 out of 5 for "work life balance" and boy is that very inaccurate. You're required to do 45 hours a week, minimum. Okay that's fine, you're paid hourly and get OT, however you are pressured every week to work weekends. Is it the first weekend of the month? Better work to get a head start on this month you need to change kids lives. Have a holiday off (which they give you off fairly) you better work the weekend because families are on vacation and you need well over 130+ sets this month to get goal or you'll get written up. You could be the top performer for 2 months on your team and still get written up the next month for being a few sets short and having PTO (true story). They allow most people to work from home, some what to eliminate the commute (which can be bad because of location, that Chicago) but mostly to work extra. There is extremely high turnover and they're used to burning out post college athletes looking for a job because they didn't get an internship or had poor grades. The quality of athletes has really diminished the product too, they allow almost anyone in because of the high pressure they put on workers to succeed. This is a sales job, period. You aren't a "recruiting coordinator", you're a telemarketer who makes anywhere from 50 - 110 calls a day (depending on your "sets" more info on that later). You aren't a scout, you make sure the kid played a day of a sport and then set them up for a meeting. Your actual evaluation of a kid doesn't matter because "every kid is recruitable" (that's a quote from management, not made up). I've had and heard managers say that, because the product itself is diminished due to of no filter for these kids. Are you 5'2, 120 LBS who was a starter on a 0-10 football team? (For reference that kid would never see the field at any college) Set a time to talk to our "coach" blah blah to learn how to get recruited! The leads that they give you come from several very reputable and good pipelines, but most of your leads come from parents signing kids for their high school and clicked a random box. They want you to pass in any kid that touched a field or ran on a track because they need to hit their "aggressive" sales numbers. The meetings you set will be extremely hit or miss on whether you get the sale or not for a multitude of reasons beyond your control. For one, they tell you to "set your specialist up for success" by telling them that this "coach" (and many have extensive backgrounds or achievements truly, then you also have your 300 lb old men who wear sweat shorts to work all day). But they can suck at their job too, you're told you need to "fill their calendars" because it's all a #'s game. Make as many calls as you can to hopefully get 40% of your families to show up for a meeting (at that % you're an all star), to hopefully get a close rate of 30% because you can't get a single parent to drop $900 on a LinkedIn premium plus 1 highlight tape (they can make for free most likely). Oh yeah, about 80% of the leads you get will be reused or repeat leads because their filtration is a joke almost, and they say you should only call a family 3 times. However they don't care how many times a family gets called you will get your phone blown up for the sales call. You have to make so many dials in comparison to your sets, there's a nice little chart, and if you don't hit it be prepared to be shamed in front of your coworkers because "you're not a team player and let everyone else down." Too many negatives outweigh the positives sadly. There's many more however these are the biggest highlights.

July 23, 2019President

I appreciate the thought that went into your review. It is clear you’ve given a lot of thought to all sides of our organization. The average Recruiting Coordinator works 45 hours/week and very few exceed 50 hours/week. This is far from excessive for a commission-based sales role. Yes, the Recruiting Coordinator role is a sales role and we are very upfront about that during the hiring process. You are correct when you say that “you aren’t a scout”. The company moved away from “scouting” terminology years ago and the role of the Recruiting Coordinator is to contact families who have submitted information to NCSA, answer their basic questions, see if the student-athlete meets some basic qualifications, and if so, to schedule a meeting with a Recruiting Specialist who will spend more time with the family and more thoroughly assess the student-athlete’s recruiting progress. NCSA does have recruiting guidelines for each sport, and the reality is that if a family has the right expectations, we typically we can help them find a place to play. College coaches from all levels including junior college and club programs lean on NCSA to help them fill their rosters. If anything, coaches ask us for more players – they do not complain that the pool is diluted because we provide a variety of search filters and only send them targeted lists of student-athletes who make sense for their school. As you note, the NCSA product works, and it works for athletes at all different talent levels. We do have a screening process in place and will provide a refund if one or our Recruiting Coach ever determines that we are not able to help an athlete after they have enrolled. As you mention, I fully believe that with every single interaction, we can change the lives of student-athletes. I have read the thank you notes and personally seen many examples of profound results. We are growing the business and in turn helping more student-athletes reach their dreams. As with any growing business, I do recognize that there are challenges. At NCSA we have always found ways to overcome any speed bump or obstacle we have faced throughout our nearly 20-year history. I appreciate and take to heart your advice. You are correct that the NCSA product is second to none, and the All-In Award is an important vehicle to help financially challenged families obtain access to our premium recruiting memberships. We are fortunate to have a large team of incredible people supporting our mission of helping student-athletes have a positive recruiting experience and ultimately find the best possible college fit.

"Great People, Not So Great Hours"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits Awesome people to work with Work from home No cold calling(meetings are set for you)

Cons

Constantly pressed to add more meetings and take more calls. No life during the week since we're working 4 pm-midnight most nights. 7 day/week job. Work life balance can be tough. Only way to make good money is working 70 hrs./week.

April 29, 2019EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your review and for the compliments on our awesome teammates and culture! Throughout the interview process for the Recruiting Specialist role, we are clear about the work hours that this role requires. Recruiting Specialists are advised to work these hours because these are the times that most families are available due to work, school and sports schedules. On the other hand, we are constantly looking for ways to improve work-life balance for all of our teammates, and the Recruiting Specialist hours have been a focus for leadership because we know talking with families on nights and weekends can be challenging at times. We do not want our Recruiting Specialists working 7 days a week and 70 hours/week. The average Specialist works 6 days a week. We feel it’s super important for our Recruiting Specialists to take at least one full day off every week and work somewhere between 40-52 hours/week. We appreciate the advice, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you become more efficient in your role.

"Great culture and positive atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Director of Softball in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture and team of coworkers can't be beat. I have been with the company nearly 7 years and I stay because of the people. The environment is competitive but also rewarding. As a former college athlete, I value the work perks, too. I think we have great benefits and the wellness reimbursement is also a great perk!

Cons

For some departments, work/life balance can be tough to manage.

March 13, 2019President

Thank you for your review and the 7 years that you’ve committed to helping student-athletes!

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, positive atmosphere, supportive leadership

Cons

no downsides at this time

April 10, 2019President

Thank you for your review and for the compliments on our work culture. I wish you the best of luck with your continued professional growth! Don’t hesitate to reach out if myself or any leadership team member can ever be of help.

"Thoughts on the Recruiting Coordinator Position"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Most of the staff at NCSA is awesome, solid people all around. I genuinely enjoyed just about everyone I worked with. Lots of fun social events, including the Turkey Bowl. - Lots of opportunities to help families in the recruiting process whether they ultimately decide to enroll or not. I truly enjoyed many of the conversations I had with families and genuinely felt I was making a difference at times. - The services and products NCSA provides are solid, despite the sticker shock, for student-athletes and families needing help in the recruiting process IF they are willing to put the work into using them. - The interview process when I was first hired was efficient, I had an offer the day after my final interview. - Causal Dress

Cons

- Despite some positives, the recruiting coordinator position can be rough for many reasons. The job itself is very boring. It is basically just one giant call center. You make 50-100 calls per day on a “smile and dial” mindset. Literally, your job is to set sales meetings for families with closers and that is it. I hardly found the job challenging due to its repetitive nature. - The work-life balance can be frustrating in the position. There is a lot of pressure to work evenings and weekends. The company constantly preaches that it is trying to improve work-life balance for employees but never actually makes any meaningful improvements. - The micromanagement in this position can be way too much at times. Some managers will get on to you too much about certain metrics. There is a tremendous pressure to set a certain number of meetings per day, even if they are not quality sets. - The leads I got almost every day when I first started were terrible. The position is cold calling families roughly 75% of the time. Many of the lead sources are very frustrating as well. Sometimes you feel like you are annoying families in trying to get in touch with them more so than actually helping them. Much of the time, because of these bad lead sources, you are calling families that didn’t realize they sent their info to NCSA and then get mad when you reach out. - The base pay for the position is terrible. It is currently $30k, which is actually up from $27k when I first took the job. Although under the current structure you are not eligible to earn commission until you have at least 50 enrollments, which means even if you find success right away you are just stuck with the base pay plus overtime for your first few months. - It is possible to make decent money in this position, but you will have to be prepared to consistently work 55+ hours and 6+ days a week. In my last month at NCSA I was right around the company average in enrollments, in addition to working roughly 45-50 hours a week, and still easily made less than $40k/annualized for the month for the amount of work I was putting in, and I know I was not alone. - I felt I was misled on how realistic/easy it was to earn a decent commission in the interview process. Additionally, the commission you earn is based on the sales your Recruiting Specialists make from the meetings you set with them. Thus, you do not have absolute control over the commission you make. - The burnout and turnover rate in this position is very high. Personally, I already felt burnt out after about 2 months and left for a new job after 5. Very few people last over a year in this role. NCSA struggles to even retain some of its top performers in the role. I would say about half of my recruitment team is planning on leaving within the next couple of months or is actively looking for a new job. - There is very little room to grow up in the company from the RC role, despite what management says. Management positions are few and far between. You have to complete a career development program to move up in the company in any capacity. - Some other reviews on Glassdoor argue that NCSA is all about profit and does not actually care about the families. I absolutely disagree with this based on my experience especially since there are some tremendous people at NCSA, BUT there is an absolute pressure to set and enroll a high volume of families. As a result, recruiting coordinators and specialists are often pressured to qualify, set, and enroll unqualified student-athletes. A solid number of student-athletes in NCSA’s network will never see the field/court in college. - The company is currently hiring way too fast in sales, while on the flipside, the company is completely understaffed on the service side. I had multiple families contact me after enrolling as they were struggling to get in touch with their recruiting coach after spending thousands of dollars on our service side. - NCSA is never afraid to pat itself on the back and the rah-rah culture can be very annoying. - There were issues of RCs stealing top recruits/leads from other RCs and management hardly did anything about it. - Leaving NCSA was a mess. While it didn't happen to me, it is a common procedure for managers to fire RCs on the spot at NCSA when they give a two-week notice.

April 10, 2019Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback on the Recruiting Coordinator role. I agree with you about our team – we have some amazing people who work at NCSA and they’re all very passionate about helping families, as I can tell you were as well. We make it very clear throughout the interview process that this is an entry level role where you will be dialing the phone 50-100 per day while also giving an extensive overview of the compensation plan that we offer. When conducting interviews in our Chicago and Las Vegas office, we have candidates sit and shadow current coordinators to observe the day to day of the role. Ultimately, we prioritize making sure that this role is the right fit for the candidate upon acceptance and that this type of work that falls in line with current career goals. We often will see that candidates with prior experience will transition to the entry-level recruiting coordinator role in search of a path in the sports industry and an opportunity to work in a field they are passionate about. Due to this being a role where we are looking to connect with parents of student-athletes, weekend hours or some additional time in the evening, where overtime is earned, can be mutually beneficial for our coordinators and families to speak when more time allows. Families that we are reaching out to can range as to where they currently stand in the recruiting process. A reason why the role does entail making a high volume of calls daily rests on the fact that there has been an influx of families showing interest in the potential of their son or daughter continuing to play their sport at the college level. Whether or not the family knows of NCSA and what we do as an organization, the role of the recruiting coordinator is to educate families on a process that most are engaging for the first time. Being a goal-oriented company, we often like to hear from our coordinators about what goals they are looking to accomplish on a monthly basis. That way, from a management perspective, we can work together on developing a plan as to what needs to take place on a daily basis to achieve those goals. We will communicate daily on different metrics and coaching points that will allow you to reach your full potential in the role-based heavily on what the coordinator is looking to achieve professionally. Our career development program has served as a great opportunity for our top performing recruiting coordinators to grow their skill, become more knowledgeable in business acumen, and has been reliable in identifying the right individuals to either move into a management role (have hired 7 managers in the last 18 months) or also explore other opportunities within NCSA. For those that have completed the CDP program and have explored opportunities both in and outside NCSA, it represents growth, development, continual learning, and commitment which has led to many having success in taking that next step in their careers. With any company, it does take time to grow and to grow we must be able to see you having success in your current day to day which is what the CDP program signifies. Finally, our goal at NCSA is to offer world-class service to families and help student-athletes find the right college fit. As a rapidly growing company, we are hiring a high number of new teammates. We currently have more families reaching out to NCSA than ever before, so we need to hire many Recruiting Coordinators to be able to connect with those families. Thanks again for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck with your career journey.

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Chicago, IL

Pros

The camaraderie of the overall company is very strong. I genuinely enjoy working with the people in my division, and generally look forward to coming to work every day as a result. The company culture is strong, encourages new ideas, and is committed to the overall mission and to the company's core values. The management team is very receptive to feedback, and is focused on building teammates rather than tearing down. I've always felt that I can go to my immediate supervisor with any concerns, and they will provide immediate and honest feedback without condescension or dismissal. This has felt true to me at each level of the company, right up to the COO and to the Reigning Champs execs. Hard work is recognized and appreciated, if not as often as might be desired - though that is something the company is continually striving to rectify for the future with new programs and initiatives. (Growth and new ideas spring from all over the company - the teammates here are some of the brightest, most hardworking people I've had the privilege to work with at any job.) There are numerous perks to working in the main office, including team lunches, free bagels on Friday, team happy hours, etc. Above all, the company truly believes in its mission and in helping its clients through a challenging time in their lives.

Cons

Payscale is under the market median, which could be a frustration. There have been concerns about work-life balance in the past, but this is something the company is continually working to improve for the betterment of all involved. There can be a disconnect between in-office and remote employees, though (not to beat a dead horse) this is something the company is endeavoring to improve. There can be an unspoken hierarchy between various levels of the divisions of the company. (i.e. some employees look down upon employees in other divisions) This is true of all companies, and is not a widespread attitude or at all encouraged by the management team, but when encountered, it can be frustrating.

December 21, 2018EVP of Customer Success

First, I want to say thank you for your 5+ years of giving back to student-athletes and helping them accomplish their dreams. We do have some of the best people working here at NCSA and I’m glad that you are a part of it! Also, thank you for your pros and cons and as you have mentioned, we are trying to improve in all aspects of our business from the work culture to work-life balance. There are a lot of perks working here and the best one of them all is being able to talk to families every single day.

Found 56 reviews