NJM Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

NJM Insurance Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2019

Found 229 reviews

2.3
NJM Insurance CEO Mitch Livingston (no image)
Mitch Livingston
Pros
  • "Free soup; nicely subsidized lunch - low cost to employee(in 49 reviews)

• "Good benefits, nice parking lot(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management keeps asking what can be improved but it seems as though very little is improving(in 19 reviews)

• "A micromanaging army style work environment with people sitting in a hostile(in 10 reviews)

1. "A decent company with very nice employees"

I worked at NJM Insurance

Pros

Nice people and very helpful

Cons

Very orthodox in daily processes

Advice to Management

Some changes needed to cope with modern times

NJM Insurance2015-04-05
  2. "Any decent review is written by HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I wish there was at least 1.

Cons

If you value yourself or your family, look elsewhere. NJM used to be such a great place to work, but somehow continues to get worse. For starters, you have a group of uneducated supervisors who wouldn’t even be competent at the job they are supervising. There are only a handful of supervisors who are actually good at their job and have any idea of what’s going and they are undervalued and overworked ( and I am sure... underpaid) There is no work/life balance. So, if you plan on actually living your life.. don’t because you won’t be able to get off, even though the lure you in with an excess of PTO that you’ll never be able to use. HR also asks people in exit interviews not to write reviews on here because people question them during interviews. The fact that people even go on interviews here amazes me. Ten years of my life I’ll never get back. Finally being in a position to leave, I am thrilled to be giving my notice shortly.

Advice to Management

Quit

NJM Insurance2019-09-14

"Okay place to start, not a good idea to stay longer than a year or two."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Levittown, PA

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is excellent! Free coffee, soup, iced tea, and milk in the cafeteria. Good place to gain experience then leave.

Cons

Unfortunately the cons list is much longer than the pros list. Benefits provided are only health, life, and dental and you need to pay a portion of it. Upon interviewing with other companies, I found most offer these benefits in full without you needing to pay a portion. Pay is much lower than a lot of other upstanding insurance companies in the area, about 7k-10k lower. There is absolutely no work/life balance what... so ever for the representatives or underwriters in the personal lines department. They provide PTO but its highly restricted on how and when you can use it. They make you request off the days you need almost a year plus in advance. If something comes up during the year and you have to take off or need to leave early, forget about it. They do not assist their employees in career development. I once asked for additional responsibilities/ things that can be done off the phones and was basically told it was my job to answer phones. After that I started seeking employment with a better company because my talents were not valued and I did not appreciate being told I was basically just an answering machine for the customers that call in. Some reps have been doing the same job for 10 years plus with little recognition and no advancement which makes it a very depressing place to work. Recently they created new job titles within the same positions which makes it confusing as to where everyone stands. Also creates false hope for a lot of those people because not all of them will be promoted. On top of the bad work environment the company constantly has rate increases so the customers are generally very unhappy when they call in. Overall a very stressful job with tons of responsibility and not enough pay.

Advice to Management

With all the responsibilities you are adding on to the Licensed Account rep position, or whatever it’s called now, please increase pay for the employees. Thank you emails are thoughtful but unfortunately do not pay the bills. Please stabilize the work/ life balance in the personal lines department and offer more career development opportunities. With that, you will be able to retain more talented employees. As we... are all aware the technology and IT department needs a total re-vamp. You need to catch up with that to remain viable in this technology age. Best of luck.

NJM Insurance2019-07-27

"Not a place for a career"

Former Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally, the people are kind in all locations.

Cons

It’s not a place to grow your career. You are reading this because you want to learn what is really happening at the company. People clock in and out, there is no enthusiasm or energy there. The contact center is a dead department wholly attributable out dated management, times have moved forward but this is stuck in a time warp. Top down management is just another way to say, my way or the highway. Management... continues to live in a small mind-set. Preferring to talk ABOUT people rather than make even low level decisions. Sad really, that so much energy is spent finding others to do the work, take credit when things go well and blaming when they don’t. Engagement is very low and sitting all day in an office won’t change that. People have shared such touching stories of pain caused and opportunities withheld from them, all of the staff live under the hope that retirement comes for the management. Over 30% leave within 2 years, it’s not a place to put on your resume. Eleanor Roosevelt said, great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Advice to Management

Take the advice from the lessons in the leadership journeys and actually put them into practical application for managers. Those that cannot adopt new management philosophy are the ones to performance mgt out. Also, the technology is so far behind, it can’t be described sufficiently here. All decisions are made based on anecdotal “thoughts” from the team or more accurately, done after the fact. That happened, so... let’s throw more people at it. Leaders should be planning to be ahead, not reactionary. Look at your email queue volume as a clear example. Lastly, resist the urge to do what I have seen you do firsthand, which is spend energy figuring out who wrote this instead of self-reflection.

NJM Insurance2019-08-09
  5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Representative in Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

cafeteria within the building, great training/education all paid for by the company, helped with keeping up to date with credit/renewing license

Cons

some favoritism, hard to move up to different positions. the company as a whole is a bit old school in the way they conduct business

Advice to Management

listen more to the employees who deal directly with customers.

NJM Insurance2019-07-03

"Administrative Services = Awful"

Current Employee - Worker

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company offers a good benefit package and has training classes to help people. There is a cafeteria onsite, it’s not as good as what we had a few years ago but at least it offers decent food. There are good, smart people who work in some of the departments. They do their best to move us forward.

Cons

I work in a department AS that has absolutely no room for growth. Many in my department have been doing the same job for many many years without being promoted. Many have had their salary capped or will be capped soon. All of this while the management in our department can not speak to employees they are sneaky and very selfcentered. Our Human Resources Department and other leaders are aware of the problems in... our area but nothing is done. Recently there were changes that saw some people fired or some have different jobs now. Our management made changes that only benefit them they did not explain why any of these changes were made they didn’t give people any information at all. We are just expected to shutup and follow there rules. They are three friends who only care for themselves. We are screaming for help and no one listens to us. It’s a childish environment with people just going through the motions and waiting for more changes. If you wanted to work in a place that offers little room to advance and is led by unprofessional selfish people this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the many problems that are here. Help us instead of hurt us.

NJM Insurance2019-07-30

"Going down the drain. Horrible work environment"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to start but then leave soon as you can

Cons

No longer in any advancement only hiring/promoting from outside. Expected to learn more & take on extra duties but refusing to increase pay. Most salaries are below national average

NJM Insurance2019-06-25

"Not true on their word, sneaky, they don't care how they impact somebody life."

Former Employee - Personal Lines Representative in Hammonton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

okay money, but thats really it

Cons

They don't keep their word when they tell you something, and are very unprofessional, they act like your annoying them rather then helping you.

Advice to Management

Smaller training clases, when your Human Rescuers department has a conversation with somebody , it should be true, teach your employees integrity because they are lacking that, your hr employees need to learn to do there job.

NJM Insurance2019-06-07
  9. "Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office with great people. Everyone is willing to help.

Cons

I don't have any yet

NJM Insurance2019-03-29
  10. "Great and Stable"

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company, family oriented and very supportive. Thriving and stable, NJM is a great place to work.

Cons

Add more relevant training classes.

NJM Insurance2019-01-31