National Thermal Power Employee Reviews about "people"
84% would recommend to a friend
(54 total reviews)
Shri Arup Roy Choudhury
88% approve of CEO
Found 54 of over 998 reviews
Updated 25 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "good salary and perks at the beginning of the career" (in 94 reviews)
- "Good work life balance and job satisfaction" (in 61 reviews)
- "hefty salary for freshers with job security and good job prospects" (in 49 reviews)
- "Good work culture and less burdened job" (in 29 reviews)
- "Good people" (in 23 reviews)
- "night shifts and poor management" (in 19 reviews)
- "Remote location and far away from cities" (in 7 reviews)
- "Not much work home partition because you are surrounded by same people at work and around home in the colony" (in 5 reviews)
- "Politics and favoritism is very strong, if you don't have links, you can't do much work or can't get transfer from one place to another." (in 3 reviews)
- "Promotion policy is very rigid and difficult to reward performing executives." (in 3 reviews)
Reviews about "people"Return to all Reviews
- 4.02 Dec 2015Assistant Manager/Executive Engineer, NTPC LimitedFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsTālcher
The pay is decent for freshers and the learning for mechanical and electrical branch people is great. Adds brand value to your resume, helps in applying to MBA and MS
remote location are tough to survive. If you want to stay at NTPC and want a working spouse, marry an NTPCian only.
- 5.024 Mar 2018EngineerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearNew Delhi
Most people are politeMost people are politeMost people are polite and well behaved. Work competency of the peers are average. Some are really good, but they go for other jobs in the long run. Some seniors are extremely competent. People are happy and energetic. Salary and job security is good.
There might be some occasions where you will find rigidity. Good suggestions may not be well taken. Juniors do not play any significant role in deciding or suggesting improvements. People should be much more open minded when the question of improvement in any sphere comes. Right people are often deprived of higher posts even if they are talented. Cleanliness of washrooms and food quality may not be at per with top notch private organisations.
- 3.05 Aug 2021Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Good place if you want medical insurance and quarters to live. Good employees to work with. Very helpful and friendly people
Chairman is very arrogant and he tranfers the employees from one project to another. Also he cut cost by keeping less number of employees and making employees over work. Travels to projects in helicopter at company expense.
- 3.01 Sept 2015Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
You will have secure job, comfortable and peaceful colony life, guarded by cisf so no need to worry about security
Plants usually at remote locations so life become too comfortable, secluded and monotonous. Not much work home partition because you are surrounded by same people at work and around home in the colony
- 4.023 Apr 2012Design Engineer, PE MechanicalFormer Employee
1.Very good salary and benefits especially medical facilities. 2.Work life balance is cool. 3.Plenty of time and money to enjoy with your family. 4.If you are lucky and get posted in design, then lot of opportunities and foreign training. 5.Average quality of people surrounding you is good. 6.No feudal culture like in other government organisation. 7.Very good 'resale' value.
1.No policy of postings and transfers. 2.A 'jugad' in some ministry or higher management can get u anything in NTPC. 3.No policy of job rotation, so whole of your career is decided by your first posting. 4.Most of the field postings are very remote with no compensatory facilities. 5.No motivation for extra effort. 6.No transparency in promotions. 7.HR and Finance people can harass executives anytime. 8.Nature of job is such that u end up being an employee and not a manager. 9.Most of the talented engineers are frustrated because of no recognition. 10.Not extra benefit for people who have to do night shifts. 11.Very few female colleagues. 12.Overall work culture is very 'nobody is bothered kind-of' so u are never looked at like a responsible executive.
- 5.024 Apr 2017Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
NTPC is known to be one among the 7 'Maharatna' public sectors units in India. People are dynamic and creative. High standard of safety is maintained. Salary is on par with any other power sector company in India.
Most of the sites are located either on the outskirts of the city or in a far away location. Thus, it may be inconvenient for city lovers to spend their free time, most of which may be spent up traveling. Though, employees are well taken care of necessities.