Netflix Reviews

Reset
1.0
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility culture works the best (in 31 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired (in 17 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes hard to manage (in 17 reviews)

DO NOT WORK FOR NETFLIX

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros

If you want a free subscription then go for it.

Cons

If there were 25 hours in a day, Netflix would expect you to work all 25. They could care less about you as a person and they DO NOT hold to their core values of honesty and integrity. People are promoted based on political connection rather than real ability. There are no congratulations for a job well done but plenty of abuse when things aren't done to perfection. There are no SOPs for processes and procedures but Regional Managers and Regional Directors will criticize for "not doing it right". It was my worst experience of my professional career.

Advice to Management

Its typical of a company that's run by computer geeks rather than by people with real leadership experience. Leadership through coercion is a contradiction in terms. Start listening to your employees. Double digit turn over rates for salaried employees should speak volumes to you. If HR had been honest when I asked questions about the company before I joined I would never have accepted a position with these people.

Like a good drama: A flashy young company in a nice setting, but with lots of tension under the surface

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros

Netflix has nice, fancy offices in Los Gatos. They have good snacks. They pay a pretty high cash salary. You get to claim that you're in the movie business.

Cons

Netflix makes a big deal about their hiring policies. They claim that they regularly evaluate employee performance, and let the lowest performers go. To me, this sounded great! In contrast to many other companies where lazy and incompetent people hang around for years, Netflix tried to retain only the best and brightest people. Unfortunately, that's not what it was like in reality. A week after I started at Netflix, the recruiter who hired me was unceremoniously dismissed. Then the tech support guy in our office was released. Then an engineer on my team. In each of these cases, it wasn't clear what these folks had done wrong. They had all been technically competent, friendly and hard working. This promoted a culture of fear where no one felt that their job was secure. It turns out that there were several things going on. Managers were given incentives to regularly purge employees. So, managers developed antagonistic relationships with employees. In most normal companies, a key responsibility of a manager is to defend their team in front of senior management. At Netflix, this just doesn't happen. Additionally, Netflix doesn't have adequate mechanisms for providing feedback and review to employees. (In the year I spent at Netflix, I didn't receive a single review, positive or negative.) Without a formal system for employee evaluation, managers resort to picking favorites: they hire in their friends, and fire people who they aren't friends with. I saw this happen to many different people while I was at Netflix. It's allowable by law (everyone is an "at will" employee), but it does not lead Netflix to hire and retain the best people. Netflix has had the good fortune to be in an easy business. They moved early into online DVD rentals, and have large cost advantages over potential rivals. Their competitors (Blockbuster, Walmart, etc) took major missteps, and were not really able to compete. Netflix doesn't have to be the best at anything they do: operations, marketing, movie recommendations, etc. They just have to be OK at these things to run a profitable business, and they are only OK at them.

Advice to Management

The key problem with Netflix is in their HR policies. Netflix needs to establish formal job responsibilities for all employees, establish goals for individuals, and measure employee performance against those goals.

Enter At Your Own Risk

Pros

Free movies and interesting product.

Cons

Hard to list them all. This is a very difficult place to work, especially if you're not tied to the Los Gatos office. The average salaried employee was generally fired within a year or two and rather Darwinian reasons about competitiveness are generally cited as the reason. It seemed like HR had way too much control of the overall operational decisions that were made and much of their decision making seemed to be based on behavior-based psychological principles rather than project performance. This company really needs to add some humanity into how they handle their employees.

Advice to Management

Be more up front with potential employees about how long the normal employee stays at Netflix. I saw people being fired so regularly and oftentimes, they had only been there a few months. Open vacation policy also seemed like a crock once you were on the treadmill there.

Wrong perception about what they are and what they can do

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros

around 10% better salaries than average, flexibility as long as you employed, very good leadership, very good HR team, no vacation policy

Cons

fear based environment, management self-image is completely hosed. They claim they are professional sports team because they pay 10% more than market. Mid management is completely incompetent as they don't have to be

Advice to Management

Managing people is not just managing numbers. What happens is that if you tell employees during orientation only that you are disloyal to them, they stop caring about you in their sub-conscious.

Just Shocking

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

Pay is just about it.

Cons

Hours. Managers/Sup. Environment. No paid time off. Managers either love you, or hate you. And when they hate you, watch out. They will find any reason to fire you. Whether it's numbers, some issue with take a break too long/short, the amount of time you are approved for (unpaid) time off, or for not using their chosen words/verbage on calls.

Advice to Management

I'll agree with a previous post, get your head out of your behinds and take a look around. Reps are doing everything they can to keep their job. They are afraid. Instead of starting waves of fear all the time by firing people, why don't you train and retrain those that you do have that are struggling. Show them how to do their job better. And realize your matrix you use for stats is flawed, as well as your req on them.

Start at 2:30 AM, work 60-80 hours a week, die a slow, painful death...

Former Employee - Ops Manager
    Former Employee - Ops Manager

Pros

Love the concept Movies are cool Netflix has brand recognition

Cons

Upper management team on the Ops side is a joke The shelf life of most employees is short - this seems to be by design (not intelligent design) Performance means nothing - you can be termed just because someone in HR doesn't like your style, or because you refuse to "rule by fear" Reed's purported vision doesn't match up with what is happening internally A major disconnect between the PR about working for the company and what is happening at ground zero If you try to achieve a work/life balance, you will be shut out - not a family-friendly organization Relocation and travel compensation has improved, but will compromise you financially -- yet, they require you to relocate to demonstrate your wilingness to move up -- but they always fire the people who move up so everyone is afraid to take the bait It is an up and out organization - except for the people at the top

Advice to Management

Since you like turnover so much - why don't you critically re-think and turn out the upper managers who have been there the longest? You have lost a lot of talented people in the past few years and lost the respect of many more. This used to be a cool company because it was innovative, creative, nimble, and driven to be successful. Now, it is a company run by a lot of scared people. I don't know of any better way to quash ideas and morale than to conduct business by fear. It is time to really grow up and restore real leadership to the company instead of promoting playground bullies. Term the senior management at the top and install people who have developed current, relevant expertise in the hub ops otherwise you are just running in really weak circles.

Disorganized chaos, insanely high turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros

Industry Leader Knowledge of company initiatives and goals are well spread knowledge amongst everyone there. Excellent Salary

Cons

Work-life balance poor Turnover of employees extremely high, most stay for fewer than 6 months. Management unable to work together to form any cohesive goals.

Advice to Management

Management needs to grow up from it's casual start up type environment, and realize at the size and rate of growth it is at, it needs to begin implementing a more traditional working environment.

how on earth?!

Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff
    Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff

Pros

Decent pay, but what are the expectations?

Cons

I was never even given a chance. On my 5th day I was let go for "not being the right fit" the man actually had the nerve to tell me I was too quiet in class. I dont know about that... I thought it was a good thing not to be disruptive...huh...

Advice to Management

Train your people and treat them like people and you will have a winning team. do it not and you will eventually fail.

Not Worth It

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

Its a job at a time when jobs are scarce Pay is good, benifits are good Sometimes you can get time off

Cons

Feeling like you are going to be fired at any minute for any reason Atmosphere of fear and hostility Zero clear communication of what needs to be done to keep your job Unrealistic stat expectations that change almost weekly

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like trash. If you want someone to do a good job give them a company they can be proud to work for.

It's a job, but only just that.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

No reason to work there unless you are a masochist. You can earn the same money selling vacuum cleaners.

Cons

Where do I start? No respect for employees. No vacation time. No sick leave. No consistency. No defending yourself. No dialogue. No sense of reason. No rules for managers, supervisors or "teachers pets". "Career Advancement" practically guarantees you'll be fired. This is an awful, oppressive, fearful, negative and pitiful place to work. Seriously, go to Burger King or Walmart because they'll treat you better. For the "good wage (cough)" you'll end up with ulcers and a need to explain why you were fired to your next employer.

Advice to Management

The corporate office needs to understand that in order to be #1, you have to treat people with respect. I have an MBA in Business and I'd never, ever treat people the way this company treats people. My advise? Fire your managment team in Hillsboro and start from scratch - you've got some major weak links there. They have ruined the call center. Being #1 is worthless if your employees hate every minute they spend there. I know I did.

RSS Feed </> Embed