Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 25 Mar 2020

4.1
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
  • "Massive focus on personal development (you are the product) - people generally promoted every few years, and little room to sit still(in 17 reviews)

• "Career progression and personal development are highly regarded(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot(in 44 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

1. "Fast progression, high turnover"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career progression and development Company parties Salary and benefits such as ski trip and car Genuinely interesting projects and work

Cons

Highly stressful Constant micromanaging and strong feedback culture which is emotionally wearing People frequently disappear from the company as they are 'performance managed out'. High turnover. If you don't fit a certain mould it can be hard to fit in. Impossible to have a life other than work in the week So exhausted by the weekend often have to pull over to nap in car in service stations on way home

Newton Europe2020-03-25

March 31, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thanks for your review. At Newton, we offer a stretching environment where people can grow at a fast rate. We believe the best way to learn is by doing – with plenty of guidance and support and feedback from colleagues. We go to great lengths to gauge the satisfaction and well-being of our staff, in order to identify issues and take action to help when problems are raised, including through our fortnightly employee satisfaction survey, which offers everyone the opportunity to voice any difficulties, along with a ‘quick response’ option for immediate support. We take our employees mental health very seriously. To ensure we are the best we can be we are also investing in a number of Mental Health First Aid training courses over the next six months to ensure our staff are better equipped to manage mental health and wellbeing issues.

Continue reading

"Learn a lot, fast paced, development focus - can be exhausting"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Massive focus on personal development (you are the product) - people generally promoted every few years, and little room to sit still. Deliver real operational benefit - we are expensive, but we are great value for money based on tangible savings. The work we do is also the right work, focus on where data shows are the biggest barriers, and not short term cost cutting Newton puts a lot of effort into recruiting people who are likeable who you would generally want to work with Company gives you a platform to go and change what you want - you just need the evidence to support it and bring people on the journey Company has gotten far more decisive around emerging issues (not just well intended words)- e.g. dangerous driving, inclusiveness and diversity,

Cons

If you aren't focused on career progression (even as a side product of developing yourself) - then it's probably not the right job for you. If you have been doing a role longer than 2 years and not pushed for promotion, you will probably need to leave the business. Senior leadership has largely been grown within the business (they joined as one of the first grads e.g.) who are generally incredible at delivering amazing programmes with real benefit, but may not have the best management/ empathy skills with their internal team.

Newton Europe2020-02-25
  3. "Fast paced, learn huge amounts quickly - poor management"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steep learning curve with great opportunities for responsibility. Surrounded by very capable and ambitious young colleagues can make the fast paced lifestyle stressful, but also keeps it fun. Always opportunities and support to put in extra work to run initiatives, training, charity work, or to even change the way the company is run.

Cons

Away from home 5 days a week. Managers have very little experience, particularly struggling with handling team wellbeing. Mental health is not managed well. Many rumours of Non-Disclosure Agreements being signed to protect company reputation after poor company behaviour.

Newton Europe2020-02-21

March 2, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback. Whilst Newton is a faced paced environment and we encourage our people to stretch themselves, we also pay a lot of attention to the wellbeing of our people. Wellbeing issues cannot always be publicly discussed but when known we always step in to offer the right level of support for the individual whether this is through line manager, HR support or by offering counselling services via our confidential Employee Assistance Programme. We are also investing heavily in a number of Mental Health First Aid training courses over the next six months to ensure our staff are better equipped to manage mental health and wellbeing issues.

Continue reading

"Excellent people to work with; there is a real focus on development."

Former Employee - Business Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, varied work that is delivered alongside client teams. There is a real focus on development and it is very meritocratic.

Cons

Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot.

Newton Europe2020-01-16
  5. "Think twice before applying"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

On the whole, friendly and intelligent people. Good pay, great profit share bonuses recently. People are there on merit and no one just coasts along. Opportunities to work on interesting things and get a lot of exposure and responsibility early on.

Cons

Arrogance. Little diversity. There's a Newton style person (white, male, Oxbridge, athletic) and if you don't fit that it can be an uncomfortable place to work. The pay keeps you there and putting up with being miserable. You're sold the dream during the recruitment process but the reality doesn't live up to it. The downside of no one coasting along is the constant threat of being fired, and seeing this happen to lots of people around you. Most activities revolve around alcohol, bringing out the worst in people and causing lots of behaviour you don't expect to see in work, more like a stag party.

Newton Europe2020-01-25

January 30, 2020Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback – we are sorry to hear of your concerns. In the past 12 months we’ve increased our focus on diversity, bringing in external experts and working with a more diverse group of societies across a wider set of universities. We know we still have more to do and will be continuing to work on this. We take comments from our employees seriously and we would encourage you to reach out to our HR team as feedback like this helps us to continually improve. Please do get in touch here: HRshared@newtoneurope.com

Continue reading
  6. "Good start to a career in consluting"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career progression, L&D, Mentoring, Renumeration, Company get aways

Cons

Poor work - life balance, up or out, very ops ffocused - cost cutting, performance improvement etc., litle to no strategy, mostly manufacturing, Nothing in power, utilties or oil and gas, not very tech savy.

Newton Europe2020-01-06
  7. "Newton is an incredibly rewarding, stretching and fun experience"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing Work is impactful People are incredible You are stretched massively from the start

Cons

You have to live away from home monday to friday (weekends are absolutely no work allowed)

Newton Europe2019-12-10

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work, Interesting colleagues, Social aspects

Cons

Inexperienced and variable management. Variable experience based on luck

Newton Europe2019-12-18
  9. "Best place i've worked"

Current Employee - Head Office

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture People focussed Career progression Welcoming environment Benefits

Cons

I cannot think of anything to identify as a con

Newton Europe2019-12-03

"As good as it says on the tin"

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Cambridge, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Newton is a unique company. It employs fantastically bright, hard working, personable and brilliant people. It supports its employees like no one else, is incredibly reasonable, pragmatic, supportive and generous. I have had the incredible pleasure of 9 fabulous years working there and have made many firends for life, been treated to experiences and opportunities I'd have never had the chance elsewhere and learnt and done things I never though I would!

Cons

The only downside of working at Newton is the fact you have to be away from home quite a lot. This is only really a downside if you don't like being away from home and for me, in my early 20s, I enjoyed it too. Yes it's hard work, and emotionaly draining, but that's worth it when the work you're doing is value adding, has a clear purpose, is making a difference to the businesses and people you're wokring with and you can see the tangible and real improvemets hitting the bottom line of your clients.

Newton Europe2019-11-20