Nigel Frank International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 11 November 2018

Nigel Frank International CEO James Lloyd-Townshend
James Lloyd-Townshend

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The career opportunities have been life changing, and the earning potential is exceptional for those willing to put in hard work" (in 38 reviews)

• "Great company to work for if you are a self motivated person that wants to earn a lot of money" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "The most successful people work that little bit extra so work-life balance can be difficult" (in 41 reviews)

• "Long hours with not much opportunity for overtime" (in 77 reviews)

1. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is one of the best things about this company! Leadership is good in the sense that sometimes they have a different point of view on situations and help you see the bigger picture. There's no place I'd rather work coming right out of college as the training and experience doesn't compare to other companies.

Cons

The hours can be long, but that's typically what you find in a sales job.

16 Nov 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our training so we are glad you found that beneficial. Recruitment can require some long hours, but for those willing to put in the extra effort the... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

Nice office
    Commissions, depends on a team

Cons

No work life balance at all

Advice to Management

Please dont abuse peoples time on tje sake of the results

29 Oct 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. Recruitment does often require long working hours, but for those who are willing to put in the hard work and the long hours the benefits in return are some of the best in... More

"Brilliant place to work"

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

Having spent many years working for Nigel Frank International, I can genuinely say it is a fantastic company to work for. It has been a brilliant experience to be part of such an progressive, expansive company as it has grown globally. The career opportunities have been life changing, and the earning potential is exceptional for those willing to put in hard work. The company offers fantastic training and development, with an inspirational leadership team around to help at all levels. It is a fun place to work with a unique culture - there is always plenty going on to mix work and social.

Cons

Not the sort of environment for somebody looking to meander in their career - suits hard working, determined individuals who are willing to put the effort in.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer great opportunities to employees and support professional development.

29 Oct 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review, we are glad you are enjoying your time here at Frank Recruitment Group. Keep up the hard work. Thanks.

"Tough but worth it if you stick it out"

Former Employee - Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open
    Honest
    Hard working
    Challenging
    Competitive
    Forward thinking
    Enjoy the people on the floor
    Company try to do a lot for you
    It’s not given to you
    Place to find your own feet
    Support

Cons

Most people will say the long hours, low basics or the competitive culture - for me it’s why I got in to recruitment, found the initial interviews brutally honest which allowed me to come in eyes open, as much as the place still wasn’t fully what I expected

Maybe don’t try to put people off as much from joining

Advice to Management

For me carry on what you are doing, it was explained to me that the job wasn’t for 95% of the population, and although most will be able to do it, the role is about sticking it out and making those connections / reputations.

Some will make it and some won’t, but as a previous comment read - that’s the way of the world.

Can’t please everyone

29 Oct 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. You are correct recruitment is not for everyone and can be hard work, but for those who put in the hard work and the long hours, the benefits are some of the best in the... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- potential to make a lot of money, depending on your product/territory
    - great culture, young environment
    - they give you alcohol
    - Upper Management was extremely hands-on, which is very unique
    - the training is amazing
    - growing very quickly and potential to move offices

Cons

- inexperienced managers who are solely in their position due to headcount
    - they would rather you hit up a lead so much that you ruin the relationship, than not hit up the lead. NFI has ruined many, many relationships with clients
    - politics, politics, politics
    - the discrepancy between contracts and full-time is outrageous and needs to be addressed. Contracts regularly works fewer hours and makes a higher compensation, which is extremely frustrating.
    - hours are long but that's expected as it is a sales job
    - Some of the contracts division targets are the same as perm, which is ridiculous and unfair. Ex. 4 deals for Lunch Club. needs to be lower on perm or much higher for contracts

Advice to Management

- figure out the discrepancy between contract and perm because as of now, it's extremely favorable for contracts
    - really know who you're promoting for a manager position

5 Nov 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. We will take your comments on board and use them to resolve these issues in the future. We wish you all the best for the future. Thanks.

6. "Senior recruiter"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

Fast track career. Good for graduates

Cons

No Working life balance. Management. Some markets better than others

29 Oct 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. Recruitment does require long working hours but the benefits for those willing to put in the long hours and the hard work are some of the best in the industry. We wish you... More

"You can work like a dog but still fail immensely - mix of pros and cons."

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great training program “bootcamp” with trainers who want you to be successful recruiters

-Many great people in different positions including TRC’s all the way up to the VP’s. I learned a lot from different colleagues at every level.

-Monthly First Thursdays are fun with unlimited cocktails, appetizers and a DJ

-Salesforce CRM is helpful, fast, and cloud-based. This is a widespread platform so training on it is useful in future roles.

-Decent sales theory approach and a good starting job if you’re interested in sales or recruitment

-Women in leadership is pretty cool there’s a big push right now with a female COO as well as the new president of the americas.

-They changed from business professional to business casual which is nice since it’s phone sales

-The commission really is great if you get the hang of it and “stacking” your deals if you’re working perm is awesome

-Fun social life with team birthdays, team brunches etc.

Cons

-Sales can be miserable and recruitment can be miserable at times; put the two of those together and you can have a really tough time. Do not join unless you are extremely resilient.

-Micro-managey nature of NFI. KPI’s are important I get it, but you don’t have to have a manager meeting every single morning to discuss everyone’s business in addition to everyone’s business constantly already being displayed on large whiteboards. Additionally, phone times and #of dials are broadcast to the entire organization DAILY. Successful sales organizations have found better balance without treating college graduates like children at a military school.

-Inappropriate nature of the culture. Misogyny, sexism, and backstabbing all woven within the culture and rarely addressed

-Our % rates that we charge clients are setting recruiters up for failure from the get-go when we usually negotiate and settle on a 20% fee anyway. We are the worlds most expensive recruitment agency for clients to deal with and this is really glossed over in training.

-Turnover is pretty ridiculous and the true reasons are not addressed. People get numb to it which is so problematic!

-Team versus team, teammate versus teammate, contract versus perm. It’s outrageously competitive for small wins which usually hurts business as a whole

Advice to Management

Review what really matters. Instead of plowing recruiters with (sometimes unachievable) monetary incentives, work on making the culture less insanely competitive and a safer space (an actual sexual harassment seminar would do NFI some good)

Pay base pay twice a month- a very easy change

Be more honest in TRC interviews

Give employees breaks- let them take a 15 minute break when they please and a 45 minute lunch instead of an hour. People need fresh air sometimes, especially in a high stress environment like agency recruitment.

29 Oct 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for review. Without feedback we cannot improve. We have taken your review seriously and will look at how we can improve on these issues in the future. We wish you the best of luck with... More

"This review is 100% honest unlike Nigel Franks really vague job description"

Former Employee - Senior Internal Recruiter in North Shields, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Internal Recruiter in North Shields, England (UK)

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive about working at nigel frank is this incentives BUT one incentive that wasn’t fair was the charity football match incentive where girls weren’t allowed to take part in! I love football and this was something I was keen to take part in so I was understandably annoyed. I soon found out that the reason girls weren’t allowed to play was because the director had a bet on that the Newcastle team would beat London and didn’t want girls involved ruining his chances.

Cons

Working at the frank group is the most valuable work experience you will ever have in recruitment.....If you don’t want to succeed and become a great recruiter work here.

The frank group has the WORST name in recruitment which is probably why they have the many brands to hide the fact they are all part of the frank group, such as mason, Pearson, Jefferson, Washington, Nigel, Churchill and FRG. You can put a flower on a poo but it will still be a .... yup.

The hours of work are longer than what is in your contract, no matter what anyone tells you, you WILL be expected to come in or stay later than your contracted hours. No one minds staying back 5/10 mins longer to finish something off but that’s no the case at Nigel frank

“Power hours” they try to turn this into something “fun” but there’s nothing fun about being made to stand at your desk whilst working with your back bent whilst your trying to write an email and use your mouse. If you sit down your “manger” will condescendingly say to you “are you not taking part in power hour” whilst they are sat down comfortably at their desk.

The culture, 90% of the people at this company have no personality anymore everyone is moody, tired, over worked and under pressure from their senior. There’s a strong presents of drugs and drink. Every 1st Thursday of the month there’s a company event where management talk about figures and those at the very top. The event is paid for with a free bar that is fully taken advantage off. Drinks and drugs flying everywhere along with the arrogance of management flashing their cash. After this event I would say only 30% make safe arrangements to get home the other 70% drive home and it has been known for 1 consultant to even be arrested at work the day after one of these events for drink driving and leaving the scene of a hit and run crime.

Public embarrassment!! Nigel frank love this just to make people laugh they will do ANYTHING. A consultant one morning after 1st Thursday came into work in the same clothes as he hasn’t been home, instead of taking this person into a room and having a word. He was made to walk around the whole 4 quadrants of the office with 2 SENIOR consultants and some other sheep banging a gong shouting “SHAME” and making him tell everyone why he was doing this.

The base salary!! In my eyes it’s shocking £17,500 is great if you have no mortgage, rent, bills, car etc. The only good thing about this salary is that you will have no time to spend the pounds you have left over because you WILL be spending all your evenings at work. No other recruitment company in Newcastle offers such a low base you can easily walk in to a recruitment job which will offer you 20K plus and the commission structure is just as good or better.

If you finally get the confidence to leave Nigel frank they will do anything to try and stop you getting a job by having management spread rumours about you, send threatening letters hand delivered to your door, contacting your current company because your working within a 10 mile radius and your contract says you can’t work with another recruitment company within 10 miles so basically saying you’ll have to move to a different city. Luckily Nigel frank are known BULLIES and everyone in recruitment know this. They BULLY you whilst you work for them and BULLY you after you leave.

Glassdoor is for honest reviews which this is, but it will swiftly be followed by an extremely dishonest positive review concocted by the management team to make sure that the first review on the site is a positive one.

Advice to Management

Stop being bullies!

"Nobody knows the trouble I've seen, nobody knows my sorrow! (They do now!)"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're young, its a good place to meet like minded graduates who are not quite ready to take a mature approach to life yet.

Modern offices. City centre location.

I used to think the commission scheme was good until I left, then the truth was revealed. Most other companies in the Recruitment world have a far better structure.

The best thing was learning old school recruitment back from the days before the TPG takeover, prior to 2016. The company had its head screwed on properly back then and really taught people and invested time and effort in the employees. Those that join today are not so fortunate...

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I was there for nigh on 4 years and the only reason I stayed so long was to prove to myself I could be a top biller. I also knew if I could survive in this company for a few years, I could go anywhere in the industry due to the ridiculous stress levels in there.

From the very start it became clear there were deep divisions between teams and between certain members of the management team. This resulted in power struggles and lots of good people left as a result. The key to success in there was to keep your head down and focus on your own business - which also became difficult if you had a team leader who laid too much emphasis on KPIs which weren't relevant to your tailored market. To an extent you had to use your own initiative and block out the orders being barked at you in order to actually achieve anything.

KPIs were a massive problem after the TPG takeover - there were general numbers that the board expected you to hit regardless of your IT product and geographical market location - these numbers resulted in promotion targets which were the same across the board. This was absolutely absurd, how could a niche Dynamics AX (very niche technology, there are very low numbers of these professionals) Recruiter working the tiny Belgian market for example, be targeted on the same numbers as a Java recruiter in the UK? (Java professionals are all over the place)

Your billings were never taken into account for promotion. Part of the reason I left was because I contributed massive numbers and no one cared because it wasn't in a more generalist market and I didn't get 3 to 4 deals a month, the company glorified all these people getting 3 deals at 3K - I would get one or two but work equally as hard if not harder to find an extremely niche candidate in Europe, I brought in 13K on average for a deal. I out-billed almost everyone one year and still no recognition came. Instead you would get asked, ''when is the next one coming in? why haven't you sent 10 CVs this week?''

It was a relentless barrage of KPI madness and no real appreciation of the work that was achieved.

A massive con that I noticed, was the way they began to treat trainees after the SPG takeover - They hired about 800 in a year to boost headcount and drive up the company share price, then when the trainees weren't bringing in enough, they simply fired them rather than investing in them and teaching them properly. There was a mass sacking in 2017 when literally 3/4 of the trainees and lower ranked consultants were sacked. It was barbaric. All they care about these days are the numbers. Generate cash at the expense of the blood of fresh graduates...

It doesn't stop there either, the Frank Recruitment Group have numerous skeletons lying in their closet. The latest outrageous one being that key senior members have had to sign a non disclosure regarding the psychological abuse of a certain trainee...

There's also a huge drug problem on the floor as well, many senior employees are known to take cocaine, some even in the office.

Work life balance is also horrendous, you got evil eyes and negative comments thrown at you when you left at 5:30 (YOUR CONTRACTED FINISHING TIME!)
    Sure, if I hadn't enough going on in my business id stay a bit later some days to contact people but forcing the entire workforce to stay each day way past 6:15 - 6:30. Is that ethical? Now they've implemented well-being Wednesdays... oh my word, they're allowed to leave at 5:30pm on one day a week! brilliant!

Even when you leave the company the intimidation doesn't stop, they tried to ban me from working for a competitor and chased me for months. They also spread ridiculous lies about the circumstances of my leaving the company. It was like a spiteful vindictive vendetta they held against me. That was the thanks I got for years of loyal service. I later found out they do this to almost all the good employees that leave.

Do not be fooled into working for this company, there are numerous better recruitment companies who value the well-being of their employees.

Regardless of the numbers that the Frank Recruitment Group generate, they are a company that use and abuse their staff. They chew you up and spit you out, squeeze every last vestige of energy from your veins and leave you feeling eternally dissatisfied.

Lastly, the base salaries are shocking as well. You can get about 5k more as a Trainee elsewhere and 10k more base as a Senior Consultant elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Refresh the entire management board and the senior members of staff if you care about what the industry thinks about you. If you want to attract top talent in the future treat them better and change the relentless KPIs, promotion targets and get rid of patronising micromanagement.

Stop chasing former employees with legal letters that do not hold up in court. You cant enforce half the things you put in your contracts as they're absurd... you surely know this by now!

"Lets call a spade a spade......Bullies!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Nigel Frank International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recruit trainees with little to no experience in Sales/Recruitment

Cons

Ok, where do we start!

I worked at Nigel Frank over one year ago and at one point in time I got bought into the bubble that Nigel Frank where somewhat significant in the recruitment world!

I have seen a lot of people write, "you get out what you put in".... well that basically goes for everything in life, although my point is, if you did the same amount of work at any other recruitment organisation in Newcastle you would most definitely get a lot more in return.

The turnover in staff is ridiculous - if they are promoting that they have grown by 2-400 people you best believe that they have had 6-800 people leave or be sacked.

One of the directors (at the time of writing) is completely out of touch with recruitment and his department, I mean how can someone with a 40%+ dropper rate as a recruiter have any real idea what he is doing? Maybe that's why he struggles to keep some of his best members of staff, either that or the rumours of his extracurricular activities are true. Just to paint a picture for you, this same director once took out his phone at Bon-Bar to record as he asked some other members of staff to pay a homeless man to dance for him....

If you have a life outside of work it is basically frowned upon - it’s essential you join in with the party lifestyle which in all honestly encourages you to spend every penny you have so that you must work even more ours to re-cooperate them.

If you ever want to leave? the company will stop you from working at any other recruitment company within a 10-mile radius (Basically Newcastle city centre).

they will try and attack your character and reputation and the worst thing about it is they have some pretty dark closets for their skeletons - recently a large Non-disclosure was signed by several members of management and above due to an ex-employee abusing a trainee.

All in all, the company eat and poo trainees for their own benefit, they don't care about your career and if you really are interested in a long recruitment career there are some other top companies in the area.

the 'banter' in the company can often cross the line and be somewhat xenophobic or racist and leave staff feeling discriminated against and undervalued.

No matter what they have you think you will be underpaid. You don't work for your base in recruitment but it still needs to be reasonable for the months you do not have commission coming in and 17k is terrible.

Advice to Management

However good you think the company is doing right now.....think how much better you could be doing with some half decent leaders.