Noble Network of Charter Schools

4.4
Michael Milkie

1. Disciplinarian

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and network. The opportunities are there if you want to work closely with the students in extracurricular programs and activities. The structure is very tight. The benefits and perks are a plus.

Cons

You will work, work, and when you're done...more work. Because the expectation is high for the students the staff is overworked to achieve great results. Depending on the campus you're at, you will either see a completely diverse staff, or you may be one of only a few.

2. At Will Employer

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great experience of working with at-risk youth

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Bewate, you can get fired for no reason despite how will that you have done on evaluations.

Advice to Management

Even though you have employees considered on an at-will status, please don't let new incoming principals have to the power to restructure "and lay off" employees for no reason, without seeing how effective a school's organization would be for at least a year.

Pros and Cons

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Very dedicated to behavior management

Cons

Work-life balance is difficult to maintain

5. Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really great people at Noble who really care about the students.

Cons

It may be hard to seperate work and personal if you don't have a good balanced life.

Some schools are better than others

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Teachers have necessary supplies for their classrooms, discipline is clear-cut

Cons

High-stress test-prep environment, inconsistent administration, expansion has gone too fast to continue to stock quality teachers

Advice to Management

Stop expanding unless the teacher pool has enough quality applicants.

7. Excellent learning opportunity for driven, mission-focused young teacher.

Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Autonomy, merit-based pay, culture of positivity, opportunities for advancement, data-driven performance evaluations, supportive and consistent discipline and student culture standards.

Cons

Crowded classrooms, lack of tenure, hyperfocus on ACT growth at occasional cost to instructional time and college persistence skills (especially writing).

8. Rewarding but little time for home/family. Lots of hours put in

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The families and students are definitely hard working and it is always great seeing the kids succeed with such great opportunities that are given to them.

Cons

Always a lot of work and you are expected to put in whatever hours are needed. Work/life balance is very difficult. Unless you are a teacher, profesional growth isnt really encouraged.

9. They take care of all the basic needs and structure so that teachers can focus on actually teaching.

Current Employee - ELA Teacher
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to teach in a high-need area without entirely sacrificing your sanity. Though the discipline system is strict, the administration supports it 100%, so teachers are well supported.

Cons

Though the bonus structure is pretty clear, what's not at all clear is how raises work. The emphasis on ACT scores sometimes comes at the detriment of everything else.

Excellent Experience at Focused & Driven School

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

I work at the Golder campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools, and I am very happy with my current job! I enjoy working at a school that has a clear vision and established values, so that my focus can be on teaching to the best of my ability. Teachers receive coaching from supportive deans and department leads and are able to take advantage of manageable schedules and ample prep time. Administration similarly offers lots of support in pushing teachers towards clear goals throughout the year.

Cons

Frequent coaching does not come without high expectations--something Noble is known for. We constantly strive for high achievement, with frequent goals to reach and strategies for tweaking and revising plans & strategies. It can be stressful. In addition, teachers may be required to take on extra responsibilities such as an advisory, which can contribute added stresses and time commitments.

Advice to Management

Build strategies to help teachers improve work/life balance!

I know I am making an impact by working for the Noble Network of Charter Schools!

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at a Noble school are the kids. They're amazing and gritty. The second best reason to work for Noble are my colleagues. I am surrounded by intelligent and hardworking people. No slackers in this school.

Cons

Time commitment. I feel like I could always being doing more and my job is never finished.

Advice to Management

Noble has great benefits, but to retain those amazing teachers, they need to pay them more.

RSS Feed </> Embed