Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

Ocado Technology CEO James Matthews
James Matthews
  1. "good place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good place to work, lots of benifits

Cons

for me nothing to complain

Ocado Technology2020-05-14

May 20, 2020Communications Associate

Thanks so much for sharing your experience – it's really encouraging to hear you think Ocado Technology is a good place to work as a Senior Software Engineer.

2. "Very good employer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kraków

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great projects, atmosphere at work. Very talented people

Cons

Some projects are splitted into multiple locations.

Ocado Technology2020-01-27

"You will just be a minion"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- smart and friendly colleagues - company is investing in interesting technologies (vertical farming, automation, etc) - opportunity to work on a product at scale - free fruit - free safari online subscription + conferences (if you don't get your request rejected) - company seems to be doing well with a lot of deals signed recently and growing a lot - possibility to change teams

Cons

- people team do not help or care even though they spend an hour explaining to newcomers that they help for everything - you have to chase HR a long time in order to get any answer/legal document - too few toilets, they are always full and seldom clean - code quality is disastrous in Ocean (legacy product) and mediocre in OSP (new product) - impossible to work remotely so everyone lies about having doctor appointments or waiting for deliveries to "justify" working from home - no career growth if you are shy as working outside your team is the only thing that is valued to get promoted - SE4 (highest grade for Software Engineer) is impossible to attain unless you work in the platform team - Social event only happens once every two months and you would be lucky to get a slice of pizza and a beer as there is not enough for everyone - No time is given to improve code or processes - low salary compared to London - if you are unlucky enough to end up in Ocean (legacy product) your career will take a massive hit as technologies and processes are outdated and code quality is abysmal. Management too is outdated in Ocean. - graduate recruits are lured in with promises of working on the new platform with microservices but are then told that there is no room and sent to Ocean - free instant coffee is not good - high turnover

Ocado Technology2019-09-15

October 3, 2019Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the feedback – it's always useful to get detail we can use to improve. We'll make sure this is passed on so action can be taken where needed. In the meantime, if you have concerns around personal development, we'd strongly recommend speaking to your line manager to work out a plan that's right for you. Also, look out for updates on Slack around the Careers Model as well as Q&As and drop-in sessions.

"Meaningful projects and nice colleagues!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sofia
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel so luck I found Ocado Technology by chance. It is truly one of a kind place. The work is interesting and meaningful, the colleagues are nice and smart, the pressure is low, the work-life balance is good, and the pay is great. What else could I ask for?

Cons

I cannot see any, I truly love it

Ocado Technology2019-07-17

September 12, 2019Social Media and Content Lead

This is such a positive review, we're so pleased to see employees loving their work! Thanks for sharing

5. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great culture, benefits, good mission

Cons

Not quite a London salary.

Ocado Technology2019-07-18

September 12, 2019Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the review – it's always good to get feedback about what our employees value and where they want us to improve

"Senior Software Engineer"

4.0

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will have the opportunity to work with cutting edge tech. If this is important make sure you state this as a requirement when you apply, because this varies a lot depending on which team you go into. I have found line managers are very supportive. It is easy to switch teams if your experience is different. I have not encountered anyone with problematic people skills. The recruitment process filters them out well. Pay is good for Hertfordshire. If you live in London and plan to for the foreseeable future, you can do better.

Cons

Lack of parking and poor public transport connections. Working at home is rarely an option. Unless you live within cycling or walking distance of the office, your commute will be stressful. Management are penny-pinching in some areas (e.g. software licenses), but wasteful in others (e.g. unnecessary town halls that tie everyone up for hours). The main office (Trident Place) has poor facilities. Be sure to keep a portable fan and warm jacket at the office to be prepared for 15-27C temperatures. Throughout 2018, overcrowding was a problem. Sometimes, you may be queueing 30 minutes for sub-par canteen food. Maybe it depends on which team you are in, but I have not found the work very challenging or my time well-used. Feature development seems very slow. Mostly due to lack of motivation/incentives, indecisive business/retail and poor processes. Backwards security policies - inconvenience when it is not needed and disregard for the real risks.

Ocado Technology2019-01-09

February 21, 2019Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the review. You've raised some interesting points,there's lots for us to look at. We'd like to encourage you to speak to your line manager if you feel you're not being challenged enough as there are plenty of great projects to sink your teeth into! Hopefully you're finding the Trident Place is improving as we settle in. We're growing rapidly which brings a lot of challenges.

"Good place to learn and develop your skills"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, caring about engineers, people are always willing to help. Managers are engineers too and you can see that in the company mindset. They take their values seriously. Good technological stack (AWS), using kanban (for real), small autonomous teams.

Cons

Uncertainty about how to cope with new signed contracts

Ocado Technology2018-06-26

"Best people and culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people. Everyone is bright and ready to help. - The culture. High focus on people and well being, no stress, a lot of room for experiment with a no blame culture, deep craftsmanship and opportunities to learn...

Cons

- Offices in Hatfield (40 minutes door to door from a Finsbury Park flat)

Ocado Technology2018-03-16

"Senior software engineer"

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I would definitely recommend friends to work here, I’ve been here a few years and think it’s great Great people to work with Open-ness and willingness to improve as a company Low stress work environment Plenty of opportunities to learn, explore, make mistakes as a developer Teams are given plenty of freedom to work in a way that makes sense for them I’ve moved teams internally a couple of times, and I’ve always had support from my team leads and wider company to do so Giving and receiving feedback is encouraged and managed really well, I’ve found it to be a really positive experience Never had any problems booking holiday Flexible working hours (core hours policy allows you to come in and leave when it suits you)

Cons

Working from home and remote working are generally discouraged Maternity/paternity leave is really bad Whilst engagement in general is really good, I’ve definitely experienced colleagues that aren’t engaged with the job at all, it’s felt like there’s not much discrimination between that staff that are engaged and work hard and encourage others every day, and those that don’t. I think this situation is improving though. Depending on the team, the out of hours support can be quite demanding (you are paid for this, but I found it affected my personal life too much to be worth it)

Ocado Technology2018-01-28

January 30, 2018PR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, and highlighting the pros and cons so clearly.

"It's strange place, full of wonderful people"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kraków

I worked at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

- people, - area (in most companies you will not touch with your software hardware which size is measured in hundreds of meters)

Cons

- on-call, - ugly code, - management, - "Ocado way" mentality

Ocado Technology2017-07-03