Ocean Spray Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 Jan 2021

3.7
Ocean Spray Chief Executive Officer  Tom Hayes
Tom Hayes
Pros
  • "In most departments, employees are encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "Ocean Spray has been a great company to work for, good pay, good benefits but the best thing has been the people I get to work with every day(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "An "old boys club" mentality pervades, especially from upper management and Ocean Spray lifers, with very few women among senior leadership(in 10 reviews)

• "Management, schedule changes, work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good paying union job"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Middleborough, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, opportunity to learn, overtime available

Cons

Work life balance, long shifts

2. "Good money"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Moneys good, works decently easy

Cons

Management, schedule changes, work/life balance

"What A Mess"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the HQ building is renovated and beautiful, beautiful grounds to match. Good benefits - 401k match, FSA, family leave, medical/dental/vision (20/20 On Site bus), on site gym/fitness classes. On-site cafeteria. Most colleagues are good people and hard workers. Flexible work schedules/work from home/work life balance.

Cons

Revolving door of leadership - interim CEO left (after a month maybe?), making it the third CEO now in two years who has departed for one reason or another. Also on the third CFO in two years. Career opportunities are completely dependent on the department you're in. The amount of institutional knowledge that has walked out the door over the past two years, voluntarily or involuntarily, is immeasurable. IT and Finance outsourced and senior leadership is either clueless and/or lacks candor when they say during town halls that the transition is going great or that there are only a few hiccups. Obviously the plan wasn't thought through well enough because people are still around after being told they were being laid off 9 months ago, hard to imagine there is any financial benefit being realized for all the cuts. Talk to employees doing the work and dealing with IT day in and day out and they will tell you otherwise. Expect to be asked how to resolve your own IT issues because the outsourced team has no idea, and the outsourcing and cuts went so deep there is nobody physically around to help out with emergent issues when needed. Finance is bare bones, a ghost town due to the layoffs/outsourcing. Even the few retained employees are leaving and running for the hills now. Who is left to do the work and make decisions? The building is noticeably vacant . When employees question future plans for the building, they are met with snickers or vague responses. It's somewhat depressing to come in and see all the empty desks and darkness. Senior management and the board seem oblivious, or maybe willfully ignorant, to how the culture and environment has changed. What was once an amazing place to work now feels uncomfortable, and colleagues feel unappreciated, overworked and undervalued.

"Good Company, Good People"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance wasn't something people talked about because they actually had it.

Cons

Office location is difficult for commuting

"Uncertain future"

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Benefits - onsite gym and cafeteria Half day summer Fridays (at Corporate), Monetary incentives for healthy living Beautiful building, workspaces and campus at Corporate Relaxed dress code Work/life balance Flexibly to work remotely on some teams

Cons

Current climate is one of fear due to massive turnover as a result of layoffs, outsourcing (Tech has been outsourced to India and Finance is being evaluated for the same) , and people leaving due to concerns about job security. A second Corporate location was recently opened in Boston and some teams were advised they would be required to commute. They were not given a choice. This has led to a the Corporate office in Lakeville becoming noticeably vacant and has contributed to the fears that the building in Lakeville will be sold or otherwise eliminated. In addition there exists a divide between the 2 offices which harbors resentment.

June 16, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Buzzwords don’t make companies go. Thoughtful, long-term strategy, colleague engagement at every level, regular and transparent communication, innovative spirit and drive—that’s how we move forward and thrive. Has transformation in our cooperative led to organizational change—absolutely. It has also opened doors to welcome so many talented new colleagues and ideas. And no matter where you sit (in corporate headquarters, in our Lighthouse Boston office, or worldwide) there is no divide as we have the technology and the flexibility to stay connected and collaborate. Also, to clear up some inaccuracies here: (1) not leaving Lakeville it’s an awesome office (2) we just really love dogs (3) don’t understand the cookie/meeting comment … but who doesn’t like cookies?

"Good place to work, however low paying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, and people

Cons

Very clicky, lay offs, tech is primitive

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter

I have been working at Ocean Spray

Pros

The people are all friendly and helpful. Clear understanding of company goals. Great work/life balance.

Cons

haven't seen anything this far

"Archaic Ways"

Current Employee - FREIGHT COORDINATOR in Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are absolutely amazing and the pay is great too. There’s an awesome Work/Life balance.

Cons

They are very stuck in their ways. I just watched an extremely good employee I got hired with get fired because she didn’t fit in with the clique they had created. Investigated her without even asking her version of things.

August 2, 2019Corporate Communications Leader

In July, Ocean Spray announced the final phase of its tech-led transformation, which will modernize our business and make it more flexible, as well as create more meaningful and strategic roles to deliver on our goals and growth strategy. Unfortunately, with that change, some of our colleagues will be transitioning out of our cooperative. We recognize the range of emotions this announcement caused, as demonstrated by these recent posts. We hope you will come speak with us about your feelings rather than post online-- we are here to help. We are confident this is the right business decision, both for our Farmer-Owners and for the health and growth of the business. Our goal has and will remain to treat any impacted colleagues with respect, provide them with assistance and transitional benefits, and also take care of our team as we move forward together. Our business strategy is working, we delivered on our commitments this year, and we are proud of the accomplishments all of our have colleagues worked so hard for. We remain excited and ready for the future.

"Great work-life balance"

I have been working at Ocean Spray

Pros

Ocean Spray values the importance of having a good work life balance. Most departments are flexible and allow colleagues to work from home. Great perks like group exercise classes during lunch, onsite manicures, a full walking trail, and a generous benefits package.

Cons

Somewhat of a flat organization

February 12, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback! We are so glad to hear you enjoy your work-life balance—we believe a healthy work-life balance is key to productivity. We’re also glad you enjoy the benefits we offer. We appreciate your feedback on professional development. We take your opinion seriously and our recently launched engagement survey is regularly taking a pulse on your thoughts and suggestions. We are focusing on increasing professional development opportunities with workshops, engagement activities, and more communication across the organization. We’d love to chat in person and inform you about professional development benefits you may have an opportunity to leverage. We look forward to hearing from you!

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits (onsite gym, car repair service, manicures, masseuse, yoga, fitness classes) great work life balance, opportunities to develop and learn new skills!

Cons

None that I can think of. I enjoy working at Ocean Spray and all of the opportunities provided to me.

February 12, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you are enjoying Ocean Spray life. Employees like you are our secret weapon. If you think of any more advice you’d like to give us, please don’t hesitate to come chat in person!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 English Reviews