Find jobs for Director

Octopus Director Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 13 of over 212 reviews

3.2
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
  1. 4.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great place to work - Salary being the trade off

Jan 22, 2021 - Financial Accountant in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very engaging, fast paced work with great people

Cons

Salary is not as high as other PE firms

Octopus Response

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it’s great to hear you’re having a good time at Octopus! We're really proud of the huge number of talented people working throughout the company, so it's brilliant you're enjoying working with your colleagues. Octopus is very fast-paced as you’ve mentioned and it sounds like our ambitious, fast-moving environment really suits you. We benchmark our salaries against industry averages but there will always be companies who pay over the average. We believe that some of the things you’ve mentioned like our unique culture and working on engaging projects with great people, plus our employee benefits and progressive ethos, make up for any difference in pay between us and our competitors.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Start listening to the people who are actually doing the work

Mar 10, 2020 - Head of Team in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people who are not being listened to.

Cons

Too much forcing feedback. Sales are too influential and making decisions they are not qualified to in the Property division. Do read past employees comments and take HR responses with a pinch of salt. Most people know HR add positive comments on here from fake employees - the property division is toxic and +30 people from 70 leaving in 2 years sums up the challenge with working there

4 people found this review helpful

Octopus Response

Response from Octopus Real Estate’s CEO, Benjamin Davis: Thanks for sharing your thoughts, please do come and speak with me about addressing them. I’ve been at Octopus for nearly 10 years now, and it’s true that the culture here isn’t for everyone. We’re 20 years old as a business, but in many ways we remain as dynamic and fast-paced as a start-up. Feedback is also an integral part of Octopus’ culture – and is something that takes many joiners a while to get used to (because it can be challenging). At its heart, however uncomfortable it may sometimes be, feedback is about people growing as individuals. Taking your key points: whilst we have a great property lending sales team, they certainly don’t make credit or lending decisions; these are made by a separate (and robust) credit team. I would describe our culture as about as far away from toxic as it could be - we measure employee sentiment every week and perform very strongly (including in our employee NPS score). We have had several leavers over the years, but that’s pretty common in the property lending sector. We always conduct leaver interviews to understand why people leave – and are focusing on making sure people understand the culture of Octopus, and what’s expected of them, before they join. Pay is something we also spend a lot of time on – and we regularly benchmark across the industry, which tells us we pay fairly. If you don’t think you’re paid fairly – come and have a chat. Finally, I’m proud of our leadership team and our achievements; we won the 2019 Estates Gazette Lender of the Year award which I think is testament to the team’s hard work and our market position. In a team of over 100 people it’s unrealistic to expect that everyone will be happy all the time and I am keen to create an open environment where people feel comfortable to share their concerns – so please do come and chat with me so we can work through your concerns.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place, great opportunity

Dec 6, 2019 - Manager in Highbury, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best place I ever worked so much effort into staff

Cons

Hard work at times,

Octopus Response

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We’re glad you’re enjoying your time with us, and are delighted to hear that Octopus is the best place you’ve ever worked. We recognise that working here can be challenging at times, but we hope the rewards we provide, such as excellent staff benefits and social opportunities, show how much we value the hard work of all our employees. Thanks again for your feedback.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Strong culture of value led behaviour - permeates through the organisation

Nov 13, 2019 - Investment Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial, exciting, respectful environment with 100 percent customer focus.

Cons

Very few and far between

Octopus Response

Thanks for your feedback. We’re always pleased to hear our employees are enjoying their time with us, and we’re glad you find our entrepreneurial spirit and unique atmosphere exciting. We’re looking forward to seeing how your career with us develops, thanks again for posting a review.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Management Accountant

Nov 1, 2019 - Management Accountant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture Employees are treated well Benefits and social inclusions Charity work

Cons

Not paid fairly to market Hours can be much longer than contracted depending on your role

Octopus Response

Thanks for your feedback. The Octopus culture is unique and we’re pleased to hear it suits you. We really care about our employees and we’re proud of our inclusive values and the range of benefits and social opportunities we provide. We have a ‘work hard, play hard’ culture here which does mean sometimes people work long days, but if you feel that your workload is too much, please speak to your line manager in the first instance. We offer flexible working to all employees where practicable, and this may be something you’d like to consider. We know there will always be companies that pay more than we do, but we believe our excellent range of benefits and the career progression opportunities we provide to all our employees makes Octopus a fantastic company to work for. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Some bizarre assumptions and decisions being made

Nov 26, 2019 - IT Manager in Holborn, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly really nice people with good intent

Cons

some bizarre decisions by people who should know better. Putting this down to insecurities, inexperience, or personality projection.

1 person found this review helpful

Octopus Response

Thanks very much for taking the time to feed back. We’re pleased to hear you’re enjoying working with your colleagues and agree that we employ nice people! We’re a rapidly growing and ambitious business and although our heart’s in the right place, we know we don’t always get it right. We’d like to learn more about your particular experiences so we can work on improving things for the future, so perhaps you could speak to your line manager, or HR about the points you’ve raised? Thanks again for your review.

7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

HR propaganda still in full swing

Oct 6, 2019 - Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

This comment has been made but is worth repeating for prospective candidates. Do not believe positive reviews with the same title.

Cons

The HR department is innundating this site with fake reviews. The title 'a great place to work' is used in 5 messages posted in the last year (20 Sept 2018, 11 and 26 Feb 2019, 9 May and 15 July 2019). In addition, it appears in the core of the message dated 10 September 2019. All these reviews are simply too good to be true. Trust me, I have been at Octopus several years and none of its employees would agree with such extremely positive commeents.

4 people found this review helpful

Octopus Response

Thanks for your feedback. At Octopus we actively encourage all our employees to provide feedback to one another, and we’re open about the feedback we receive, whether positive or more critical. Feedback is a fundamental part of the Octopus culture and we take employee feedback very seriously. We’re always keen to improve our employee experience and encourage all our employees to talk about their experiences on Glassdoor to help people understand what it’s like working within the Octopus Group. It’s always disappointing when people leave negative reviews, but we view this as a learning opportunity for a growing business. We reject your accusation that we write ‘fake reviews’ as doing this would conflict with our core values. We’re proud of the Octopus culture, and although this type of fast-paced and ambitious environment may not be for everyone, the vast majority of our employees enjoy working with us and take advantage of the opportunities we provide to progress in their careers. The positive reviews that they’ve posted on Glassdoor are evidence of this. We’re sorry that you’re not enjoying working with us at the moment. We suggest speaking to HR in the first instance as it may be that working in a different area of the business may suit you better? Thanks again for taking the time to post a review.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

HR continues to post fake positive reviews

Sep 8, 2018 - Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

This point has been made before but it is worth repeating. Many of the positive reviews on this site are too good to be true

Cons

The number of messages headed "a great place to work" is odd. In the last year or so, I counted 6 posts with that title - 22 May 2017, 5 July 2017, 20 April 2018, 11 May 2018, 9 June 2018, 18 June 2018. HR is running out of ideas to artificially boost ratings on this site. I also counted 5 positive reviews on the same day - 20 April 2018. Very dodgy. My advice to prospective candidates is not to believe these fawning comments.

24 people found this review helpful

Octopus Team

At Octopus we openly, actively and regularly encourage all of our employees to provide feedback to one another, whether it’s positive or areas that people can improve on. This is true of management too who actively invite employees to provide feedback on what’s working well for the group and what’s not. We also actively encourage people who work at Octopus to talk about their experience on Glassdoor to help people understand what it’s like working within the Octopus Group. Feedback is a fundamental part of our culture, which everyone at the company contributes to, and we passionately believe that every single employee should have the opportunity to be listened to and bring new ideas. Many of our employees choose to do this and we recognise that this is an increasingly important forum for people to get an understanding of the company. As disappointing as it is when people write negative reviews, we want to encourage people’s feedback so we can continue to work hard to make Octopus a great place to work. As ever, we would encourage anyone with any questions or concerns, or suggestions on how we can improve things, to speak to a member of the management team or their line manager.

9. 5.0

great place to work

May 11, 2018 - Investment Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great, positive culture and work environment. Feedback is encouraged and differences generally resolved quickly. There's a strong feeling that everyone is on the same team and there's not a single colleague i don't respect or enjoy working with. The company actively seeks to empower people at all levels which gives staff the opportunity to build their own career. uniquely i can say that i actually wake up each day looking forward to going to work

Cons

Managing work/life balance is very challenging, especially with kids.

2 people found this review helpful

Octopus Team

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

10. 5.0

Director

Apr 20, 2018 - Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast moving, entrepreneurial, open. Welcomes everyone Can be yourself Huge employee engagement in the businesses and the charitable foundation Been here 5 years and so rare to meet someone at Octopus that you don’t enjoy chatting too Awesome offices Employee owned

Cons

For me all the cons are strengths The speed of change can make those less comfortable with ambiguity feel uncomfortable The breadth of activities ongoing at once could be intimidating. Not everything works (but that’s an opportunity to fix stuff!)

Octopus Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review about Octopus.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews