Octopus Investment Director Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2021

Found 15 of over 207 reviews

4.6
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Would recommend

Apr 25, 2021 - Investment Operations Officer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits package, open line to management, culture

Cons

Some areas understaffed, constant pressure to give feedback

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Comapny

Apr 11, 2021 - Investment Analyst in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, inclusive

Cons

Lower paid than the bigger companies, unclear progression,

Octopus Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It’s lovely to hear you are enjoying working at Octopus. We’re sorry to hear you feel your opportunities for progression are unclear. Please raise this with your manager and they will be able to help you create a progression plan and identify opportunities for you to grow at Octopus. You could also talk to your HR Business Partner or someone on the Shadow Board. Octopus Shadow Board have recently worked to help make opportunities and progression clearer, introducing standardised job families and frameworks that can be used to facilitate discussions with your manager and create development plans. Again, thanks for your review. Wishing you the best of luck in rest of your career with us!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing Place to Work

Feb 23, 2021 - Investment Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people and culture - overall an incredible place to work

Cons

Have nothing bad to say!

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great perks, great social life

Jan 30, 2021 - Investment Operations Associate in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great perks and social activities, forward thinking approach to employe mental health and well being, ambitious targets and a great opportunity to get some valuable experience to take elsewhere. Salary may not be as competitive as others but a generous share incentive plan compensates for this if you stick around long enough.

Cons

Lack of structure and career path, personal experience of unnecessary hierarchy in place, an obsession with creating a culture of feedback that results in giving and receiving empty meaningless words. There is somewhat of a managerial clique, if you're in the right social circle you get the promotion.

2 people found this review helpful

Octopus Response

Thanks for your review. We’re definitely ambitious and like to have fun too, so we’re glad you’re enjoying our regular (currently virtual) social activities. We work hard to support our people with services like Sanctus and Headspace too, so it’s great to hear you like our approach to mental health. We’re sorry to hear your feedback about career progression. People are promoted based on their achievements at Octopus so this should give everyone the chance to move up in the company. If you’re not able to see a career path speak to your manager and ask them to help you create a progression plan to identify opportunities for you to grow with us. You could also talk to your HRBP or someone in the Shadow Board. Their recent work to introduce market-standardised job titles and remove “levels” should make opportunities clearer too, as these changes were based on feedback about making progression paths more transparent. We’re a very ambitious bunch as you mentioned, and sometimes this means we move fast and things can feel unstructured. Some of our processes could definitely be modernised though and we’re constantly improving our tech. Hopefully you’ll start to see improvements soon! Thanks again for your feedback.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to learn

Jan 22, 2021 - Investment Operations Associate in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Atmosphere, Work Life Balance, People

Cons

Pay, Technology, Bureaucracy, Limited Opportunity to progress

Octopus Response

Thanks for your feedback, good to hear you enjoyed your time at Octopus. We work hard to help support our people and help them achieve a healthy work/life balance, through using services like Sanctus and Headspace, so we’re really glad you were happy with your balance. Some of our processes could definitely be modernised and we’re constantly improving our tech to try and make these better. When it comes to progression, we try to offer as many opportunities as we can. We’ve recently introduced market-standardised job titles and removed our old “levels” framework based on feedback from our people, so this work should help make progression paths more transparent. We benchmark our salaries against industry averages but there will always be companies who pay over the average. We believe that our unique culture, employee benefits and progressive ethos makes up for any difference in pay between us and our competitors. Our culture is something we’re really proud of, alongside the huge number of talented people who work throughout the company. It's great that you learned lots from your colleagues during your time with us and enjoyed your time in the business. Best of luck with your future career!

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Experience

Aug 30, 2020 - Investment Analyst in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Social life, ambitious group, great technology.

Cons

Long hours and confusing structure.

Octopus Response

Thanks for taking the time to feed back. It’s great you’re enjoying your time with us and making the most of the opportunities to socialise. It’s true we’re an ambitious and fast-growing company and it’s great to have you on board. We’re sorry to hear you feel your working hours are too long and we do take concerns over workload very seriously. Please speak to your line manager who will support you to achieve a better work/life balance. If you’re finding the business structure is confusing, please speak to HR or your manager who will be happy to explain our structures and processes to you. Thanks again for leaving a review.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Strong culture of value led behaviour - permeates through the organisation

Nov 13, 2019 - Investment Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial, exciting, respectful environment with 100 percent customer focus.

Cons

Very few and far between

Octopus Response

Thanks for your feedback. We’re always pleased to hear our employees are enjoying their time with us, and we’re glad you find our entrepreneurial spirit and unique atmosphere exciting. We’re looking forward to seeing how your career with us develops, thanks again for posting a review.

8. 5.0

great place to work

May 11, 2018 - Investment Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great, positive culture and work environment. Feedback is encouraged and differences generally resolved quickly. There's a strong feeling that everyone is on the same team and there's not a single colleague i don't respect or enjoy working with. The company actively seeks to empower people at all levels which gives staff the opportunity to build their own career. uniquely i can say that i actually wake up each day looking forward to going to work

Cons

Managing work/life balance is very challenging, especially with kids.

2 people found this review helpful

Octopus Team

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

9. 5.0

Really happy

Nov 1, 2017 - Investment Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

lots of autonomy and large amounts of responsibility from day one, big ambition as to where the company is going

Cons

Some of the operational stuff is a bit basic

1 person found this review helpful

Thanks for reviewing us.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great for the right sort of person (read below)

May 19, 2017 - Investment Professional in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fast-paced, really ambitious, young at heart company - Always changing and innovating - Profitable and fast growing - Lots of responsibility if you want it If you want a fast ride, lots of change, want to grow as a person, and can handle that sort of set-up, Octopus is for you. If not, then it's not going to work out for you here.

Cons

- Quite a few 'straight talkers' - you need to take things on the chin and grow - Can be manic - Long hours at times

3 people found this review helpful

Octopus Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews