Octopus Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 16 Oct 2020

3.7
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
Pros
  • "Flexible working and great company culture(in 13 reviews)

• "Charity, social events and to have an entrepreneurial spirit in your work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management skirt around the issue because they don't want to commit to spending more money on staff(in 9 reviews)

• "Very long hours for the salary paid(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Work at Octopus"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Octopus in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working and great company culture

Cons

Internal progression is good. But opportunities are hard to come by

October 19, 2020Octopus Team

Thanks for your feedback. It’s great you feel so positively about working with us and we’re proud to have you on board. If you don’t feel that there are opportunities to progress in your career at the moment, please speak to your line manager in the first instance. We’re keen to support internal progression and strongly encourage all employees to talk to us if they don’t feel that opportunities to progress are available to them. Best of luck in your career with us and thanks again for leaving a response.

"Great values"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Company Secretary in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

- Employee Share scheme - recognition cheques and awards awarded and nominated by your peers - open and friendly working culture - flexible working

Cons

- CofEs under resourced - recognition is more focused on sales team rather than the business support teams

July 8, 2020

Thanks very much for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you’re finding us a friendly place to work and we’re glad you’re benefiting from the flexible working opportunities and the staff reward schemes we provide.. We try to make sure that all our teams are rewarded equally for their contributions, but we take your points on board and will look into additional ways to show our appreciation for the business support teams. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

"Phenomenal company to be part of"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People Flexible working A place that cares about its employees Will look after people who work hard and care Social element

Cons

Fast pace but rather than that than a huge corporate entity

November 8, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your time with us and it’s great you feel proud to work here. It’s true that we place our employees at the centre of everything we do and we always reward people who work hard and show they care about our customers. We’re proud of the Octopus culture and although this type of fast-paced and ambitious environment may not be for everyone, it’s clear that it suits you! Thanks again for taking the time to post a review.

4. "A great, flexible, supportive place to work."

Former Employee - Recruitment Manager in London, England

I worked at Octopus part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Put mental health at the top of their agenda and are enhancing their benefits programme all the time. Very supportive of budding entrepreneurs and will invest in an employees start-up if the idea is good enough. Great flexible working policies very fast paced and quick to make decisions.

Cons

Some times things can move so quickly that it can take a while for everyone to hear about the changes and for the systems to catch up. Super ambitious so often and million things on the go at any one time.

November 8, 2019

Thanks so much for your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of the staff benefits we provide to all our employees. You’re right that mental health is right at the top of our agenda and we’ll continue to promote this through initiatives such as Sanctus, our free mental health coaching service and The Anchor which is our employee wellness initiative. We’ve also partnered with Headspace which means all our employees are now able to access the meditation app. We’re really proud of the progress we’ve made in the area of employee wellbeing and we intend to build on this in the future. We support all our employees to work flexibly where practicable, and we’re pleased you were able to take advantage of this when you worked with us. We’re also always willing to support and invest in our employees and their ideas, and it’s great to hear that you witnessed this first-hand. It’s true that our ambitious and fast-paced environment can be challenging for some, but we’re pleased to hear that it suited you. We wish you the very best for the future. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review.

5. "Octopus is awesome"

Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Octopus is the only place I have ever worked where I don’t wake up and dread coming into work. The culture in the company is great, with the option for flexible working/working at home, loads of events and clubs, and a focus on mental health. I work in Group Marketing and my team are supportive and friendly and have made me feel really welcome. It’s fast paced, that can’t be denied, and I see this as one of the many pros. There’s always lots to do so there’s no chance of being bored, and the work is extremely varied. There are also loads of opportunities to get involved in “extra-curricular” activities if that’s your thing, helping with Giving or running clubs, for example. Overall, Octopus has a great feel and I really enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

For me, there aren’t any that I’ve found so far. Some people may not enjoy the speed at which things move at Octopus or the amount of flexibility needed, but these are both things I, personally, enjoy.

October 24, 2019

Thanks very much for taking the time to post a review. It’s great you feel so positively about coming into work and we’re really pleased you’re enjoying your time here. We’re proud of the extra-curricular activities we provide and we hope you’ll continue to take advantage of the staff benefits we provide to all our employees. The Octopus culture is unique and it’s true that this fast-paced environment may not suit everyone, however, it’s clear you enjoy the challenge of working in an ambitious and fast growing organisation and it’s great to have you on board. Thanks again for your feedback, we wish you the very best in your career with us.

6. "Autonomy, Creativity, Support"

Current Employee - Talent Sourcer in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have never worked in a place where creativity and entrepreneurship is valued so highly. The thing that struck me most about Octopus is that if they say they will do something, they actually do - sounds simple but it isn't. In my first couple of months I have been given plenty of responsibility, backed by the support of a really engaging team. Octopus make it easy for me to love my job and feel passionate about representing the business - so much so i have already referred a friend who has herself secured a job with Octopus. Additionally, the flexible working, holiday allowance, share incentives, pension and additional benefits would be hard to top anywhere.

Cons

For me personally - none. I would have concerns about people who loved an overly structured, corporate environment. Octopus certainly isn't that!

October 16, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We’re really proud of our entrepreneurial spirit and unique way of doing things, and it’s great to hear you’re enjoying working with us. We’re pleased you’re taking advantage of the opportunities to work flexibly, and agree the benefits we provide to our employees are difficult to top. We’re also delighted to hear you’ve referred your friend to us, this is a great endorsement of the Octopus culture. We’re pleased you feel supported in your role, and we’ll look forward to seeing how your career with us develops. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Stop protecting bad management calls"

2.0
    Former Employee - IT Applications Support Analyst in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible Working - Office in London - Team lead and the team I worked with - Holidays

Cons

- Management - Development of Junior staff - Salary - Diversity - Gossip

November 8, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We’re glad you took advantage of our flexible working and pleased you enjoyed working with the team. We always listen to criticisms about what we can do better, and we’ve tried to build a culture where people feel encouraged to speak candidly when they feel things aren’t working. We’re committed to making adjustments where necessary, and allow people to provide feedback anonymously via our internal feedback tool should they feel like they cannot approach the management team directly. Our leadership team encourages all employees to approach them directly, but they understand not everybody might feel comfortable to do so. We wish you all the best of luck in the future.

8. "Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Projects
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working Friendly Atmosphere Openness and ability to approach senior execs

Cons

Lack of investment in systems Immature processes and procedures

August 12, 2019

Thanks for posting your review. We know that our technology hasn’t kept pace with our rate of growth, but this year we’ve invested significantly in our infrastructure and we’re certain that new technology will support us in our continued development. Thanks again for your feedback, best of luck in the future.

"Cracks if you look close enough but OK"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They seem to hire genuinely nice people who want to help each other and care about their work Staff benefits are ok. Lots of social events, charity work and groups people can get involved in Flexible working is encouraged though the culture doesn't make this easy

Cons

Leadership is manipulative and lacks self awareness in some teams, though some of this has been dealt with. They have very few women in positions of power so they have pushed women from within into roles they are not qualified to do. Its unsurprising that the teams these women lead have such a high level of staff turnover & staff unhappiness

December 31, 2018Octopus Team

Thanks so much for your feedback. We’re really pleased you’re taking advantage of the employee benefits we provide and we’re grateful for your support of our charity work. We always encourage and actively promote flexible working so if you feel you don’t have a good work/life balance at the moment, please speak to your manager as we will always support flexible working requests where practicable. As you know, we’ve recently completed a significant restructure of the business and we’re expecting to see some really positive outcomes. Teams should work better and collaborate more as a result and we are sure that these changes will improve your experience of working here. If in a couple of months’ time you still have concerns, please speak to HR. Thanks again for your response, we have taken on board the points you’ve raised.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to put your hand up and get involved in something new. Colleagues really do care about the business and help each other where they can. Staff benefits are great. Flexible working is encouraged.

Cons

There is constantly change as teams try new things which fail and budgets are re set. Not a con for everyone, you've just got to be prepared to adapt and be open to new ways of working.

December 31, 2018Octopus Team

Thanks so much for your feedback. We love that you’re happy working with us and it’s great you’re taking full advantage of the opportunities we provide to develop within your role. We’re pleased the enviornment here suits you and you’re being supported to work flexibly. In a forward-thinking and fast-paced business things can change quickly, but as you’ve recognised, this can be incredibly exciting and empowering if you’re open to new ways of working. Thanks again for your response, we’re really pleased you’re enjoying your time with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 English Reviews