Octopus Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 25 Aug 2020

3.7
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
Pros
  • "Flexible working and great company culture(in 13 reviews)

• "Charity, social events and to have an entrepreneurial spirit in your work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management skirt around the issue because they don't want to commit to spending more money on staff(in 9 reviews)

• "Very long hours for the salary paid(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great place to work with a strong vision"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Commercial Asset Manager in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great young company culture, interesting and exciting work, excellent leadership from senior management especially throughout COVID. Hours are not unmanageable.

Cons

Pay is probably below competing firms, but hours/pressure probably are as well.

September 2, 2020

Thanks very much for your review. It’s great you’re enjoying your time with us and we agree it’s an exciting place to work. We’re proud of our unique culture and it’s good to hear you feel supported by senior management. We value transparency across all our business areas and we’re glad the model we use for gathering feedback is working for you. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, we wish you the best of luck in your career with us.

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Data
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with fantastic ideas.

Cons

Senior management leans to favouritism and are easily misled to not always make rational decisions

January 22, 2020

Thanks for your feedback. It’s good to hear you enjoyed working with your colleagues, and we agree we have some fantastic people working here. We appreciate that our fast-paced environment means managers often need to make decisions quickly, but we would hope that any decisions made are always in the best interest of both their teams and the business as a whole. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

"Awful"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ability to work from home, but not encouraged Decent pay

Cons

Toxic environment All white middle class management Very long hours and management make it clear the only way to progress is to be at your desk at 9pm, even when they aren't. A worrying bullying culture with a few individuals' attitudes being exceptionally unprofessional but tolerated because they put the hours in. Highly stressful, with no let up. You will be expected to be contactable at all times, log on when sick or on holiday, read emails and action them at home (managers send 7pm Friday emails for things they want Monday morning). One employee was rang whilst at a funeral. No fixed desks, and too many employees, so you can arrive and spend 40mins wandering around with a carrier bag of your stationery searching for a free desk before being expected to set up in the kitchen. Poorly trained management creating a chaotic, demotivated team. Your goal is identified (be it promotion, recognition, payrise) then withheld. 121s are used to beat you emotionally for not doing more, quicker, longer. 12 hour days are encouraged, and then there is immense pressure to put in additional hours volunteering for their charity projects. An entirely numbers driven focus with no care for quality or accuracy A very immature boys playground environment with name calling, inflatable toys being thrown around the office, leering at customer ID, borderline and often unacceptable sexist comments on a daily basis, including from senior management. Managers set people up against each other rather than encourage teamwork so you will work alone, under stress. It's very lonely. Poor systems Perhaps the worst part is, management believe they have a fabulous customer focused flexible company and will not hesitate to tell you that. The reality is just the opposite. They pretend to encourage feedback then label you negative and difficult for giving anything other than glowing reviews. Even the "anonymous" office vibe feedback is used to bully teams with veiled threats when the scores are low for happiness. Difficult people are encouraged to leave, but then they put a non compete clause in your contracts meaning you can't go anywhere else (so will be jobless for 3 months if you do) Seriously if you are not a white, 20 something slightly immature male, living at home with mummy with no partner or family and no life, don't apply.

April 2, 2019Octopus Team

Thanks so much for your response. It doesn’t make for happy reading and we accept we have a way to go before we can get you back on board. We appreciate you haven’t had the most positive of experiences and we’re sorry that you are not enjoying working with us at the moment. We understand that a sales-focused environment is not for everyone and if you feel that you would like to move to another area of the business which may suit you better, please speak to your manager who can support you to do this. We don’t accept your comment about the lack of flexible working, as this is a policy which we actively promote and encourage. Please speak to your manager about your work patterns if you do not feel that you have a good work/life balance, because we will always support flexible working arrangements where practicable. You certainly aren’t expected to be contactable when not at work, and if you are receiving emails at inappropriate times, or feeling pressure to respond outside of your usual working hours, please speak to HR. If you feel that your working environment is damaging to your health and wellbeing, we would urge you to take steps to improve it. We offer free-of-charge coaching sessions with Sanctus, and you can also sign up for counselling via our Cognacity programme. We’re really proud that so many of our employees are actively taking ownership of their health and wellbeing and are pleased that the services are proving so popular. As you know, we’ve recently completed a significant restructure of the business, including appointing a new Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer, as well as a new Chief Technology Officer, and we are expecting to see some really positive outcomes. Teams should work better and collaborate more as a result and we are certain that these changes will improve your experience of working here. We agree wholeheartedly that the future is about working smarter, better and more flexibly and we think that we are moving in the right direction with this. Thanks again for your review. We really hope that the changes that we have made will mean you are happier in your role, but please let us know if this is not the case.

4. "Refreshing Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people focused on both what we collectively deliver and how - Transparency and access to senior management to challenge and ask questions - Committed to training and development - refreshing approach to flexible working

Cons

- naturally with a growing company, things move quickly and at times processes and systems are playing catchup

"Octopus Investments"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A young and ambitious culture. Strong historical growth.

Cons

The fast growth of the company can foster a culture of one upmanship and back stabbing as people look to position themselves in front of senior management. A distinct lack of diversity across senior management (ethnicity and sex). Lack of internal job progression. Focus on growth can lead to some poor decisions being made.

Continue reading

"No shackles here. Simply a great place to work."

5.0

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

First up, much like the reviewer on the 4 June, I too have been trying to leave Octopus ever since I joined. I could be wrong but I reckon I have been here longer, so I trump on that one. The bit I couldn’t work out though with that reviewer (fully entitled to their own opinion of course) is what are the metaphorical shackles that keep them from leaving. I can only conclude that Octopus, with their very fair, all-round top quartile remuneration package, has inadvertently overpaid you and you are now priced out of the market, hence trying to leave but can’t. Either way, if you need the key to unlock the chains just chat it through with HR. Anyhow, I mentioned above I too have been trying to leave Octopus ever since I joined but I haven’t; I’m still here. And the previous reviewer got me thinking why. I shall try to explain and keep it brief but forgive me if I go on a bit. Maybe I’m still here because I thrive on a challenging and progressive work environment. Maybe it’s because, on balance, I get to work with some pretty awesome people every day. Maybe it’s the free fruit, vaguely(!) decent coffee, selection of teas, frequent themed drink-ups, celebrations and social events – no wait, a lot of GOOD companies do that too, but hey, what’s wrong with being like other GOOD companies. Maybe it’s the recently introduced Officevibe system where HR and the management team can gather huge amounts of feedback from people and take steps to MAKE IMPROVEMENTS. Maybe it’s the ambitions of Octopus – the fact it wants to build businesses in broken markets and disrupt them, or simply doing things better. Or the way it should be. Particularly those markets with long-term demographics and needs (financial services, energy, healthcare infrastructure); a pretty smart play for a business I hope outlives the founders and all who have the pleasure of helping to build it. Maybe it’s the fact that Octopus offers many (not all, but many) of its employees the opportunity to build careers here. I have. Maybe it’s the Octopus Foundation and its support (financial, but more importantly time), for charities chosen by employees. Maybe it’s the myriad of clubs I can get involved with. Nearly 40 colleagues went on a ski trip to France recently. Theatre clubs, curry clubs, running clubs, diving clubs you name it, there’s a club, and if there isn’t, I could probably just set one up for it, AND get a little bit of funding from the company. Maybe it’s the sheer diversity of religions, races, sexualities, providing a dynamic, multi-cultural environment where we can learn and develop. The Octopus LGBT group taking part in Pride of London this year for the first time is going to be pretty cool. I’m not part of the group but I shall be proud to see my colleagues taking part. Maybe because Simon and Chris (the founders) have incredible work ethic and set a total example, yet remain totally approachable. You can walk up to their desks and pick their brains. There are no closed offices at Octopus. Maybe it’s the warm welcome you will receive from my colleagues on the reception desk. Maybe, as I mentioned above, it’s the fair remuneration we get. Not everyone will always be pleased, but no one forces you to accept the job offer! I don’t know. But I reckon it’s many of the above, and many more positive things about Octopus I haven’t mentioned that keep me here, but shackles there are not, and I could leave (hopefully on good terms) if I so chose. Let’s not forget, this is a company that is only 17 years old, yet aspires to be around 100 years from now. So it’s perhaps going through its teenage years. Being bold and ambitious, making some mistakes, trying to find out what works and doesn’t, but on the whole, it’s getting A LOT of things right and will very likely go on to create further, massive success. The opportunity which lies ahead is gigantic. Nearly 600 people (maybe more, we’re growing so fast I lose track) on the whole seem pretty happy. I bet the stats show many have been here for quite some time, but of course many will have been hired in recent years as Octopus continues to grow at an impressive pace. For one thing, honest Glassdoor reviews are very valid (everyone is entitled to their opinion), but Simon and Chris should be immensely proud of the business they have built today. They’ve had some fantastic past colleagues along the way who have made massive contributions; virtually all employees today are adding masses of value in their roles, and employees yet to join or don’t even know they will one day work at Octopus, will no doubt make an amazing contribution. Of course, I am positive on the company, but there is little to lose for those given an offer of employment to join the team. If you subsequently realise it’s not for you, then you can part terms, amicably. You WILL be allowed to leave, really.

Cons

Oh we’ve made LOADS of mistakes along the way. The ferocious pace of growth lends itself to it. We often ask too much of our managers – they need to deliver as well as manage, which can lead to a feeling of unsupported colleagues in places, unless the manager is very, very good. The whole of Octopus working on this, but it’s not easy trying to make the right changes. The direction of travel is positive though. We made some redundancies last year – by the troops on the ground this felt like a big mistake and continues to have an impact on the culture but time is a healer. Why not just slow the hiring or manage those people out – no need to do things ‘by the book’. Anyhow, it’s done. Hopefully senior management have reflected and will be more considerate if there ever was an unfortunate next time. It’s a fairly work hard, have fun culture. This won’t suit everyone – there’s no point trying to join Octopus if you fancy an easy ride, but it will suit you very well if you’d like to work with some great colleagues in a business where its heart is really in the right place, although its head can take it off-piste sometimes!

Continue reading
  7. "Good but not for the faint hearted"

5.0
    Former Employee - Middle Management in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture open to new ways of working and putting the customer first. Good opportunities for personal development and growth.

Cons

Wellbeing scores are low because people's workloads are too high. Senior management skirt around the issue because they don't want to commit to spending more money on staff. Therefore you have to commit to long hours to get the work done including evenings and weekends.

June 2, 2017Octopus Team

Thank you very much for your feedback.

"Its like the Stepford Wives of the finance sector."

2.0
     in London, England

I worked at Octopus for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a fantastic place to learn. If you are someone wanting to understand the finance sector further, before going on to something better, go to Octopus. They have a real structure of how they go about teaching employees, which I believe is worth it despite the average pay. Their are some very special people at Octopus, I enjoyed it due to spending my days with them, I stayed far longer than I would of otherwise had it not been for them. Great it you want experience in the finance sector: good opportunities and if you're willing to sacrifice pay for a few years to get yourself in the door, go. But trust me after 3 years of singing and dancing the exact way they want you to at the exact time they want with a smile on your face the whole time, you'll be done with the charade they want you to participate in.

Cons

They are desperately trying to create a culture where it appears that they really care about there employees, buying drinks for employees, end of year parties & 'fun days'. But when it comes to core basics of actually caring for there employees, flexible working hours and maternity leave for example, they are very poor. An example of poor HR management (no doubt filtered through from senior management) and culture was just under a year ago Octopus reduced the size of the company by 10%-15%. I appreciate this can never be nice and it is needed, at the end of the day its a business. An example was lying to a team of 50 about how they went about making a colleague on maternity leave redundant in this time. She got the same redundancy offer as all the other employees chosen, but they lied and said she was given the choice to leave. She was not. While I have no problem (a grey area for some) with them validating why they made a colleague on maternity leave redundant, do not lie to your employees. Examples like this (and there are hundreds) are classic Octopus.

February 27, 2017Octopus Team

Thanks a lot for the feedback. As a company, we’re growing and learning every day. But we know we don’t always get it right. That’s why we’ve been encouraging all our employees to get involved with projects that are designed to challenge our views and policies across a number of areas. As a result, we’ve formally introduced flexible working, the maternity pay has been greatly improved, and there are new work streams already underway that will help us create the right environment for all our employees to thrive in.

"HR sounds desperate"

1.0
    Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no doubt in my mind that senior management lies to employees and HR staff is used as the messenger.

Cons

However, I doubt that the person who posted the message on 14 November is who he says he is. Why would a former employee gone more than two years ago (as he claims) choose to post such a message within five days of the previous one he criticises. Only someone monitoring this site via a notification alert[as HR does) would have been notified of that message and decided to react so quickly.

"Business Development Manager"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

A company who hire bright, intellectual, strong minded people with a culture which resembles that of Google or Apple. They recently moved to a completed refurbished office in Holborn circus which is really quite something and certainly makes it an eye catching place to work. Great benefits package including 27 days holiday, private health care and more social events than you will know what to do with.

Cons

- Sales team are spoken to like children. A lot of micro managing and lack of trust towards us to get on and do a successful job. - No clear path for growth inside or outside the sales team. - Lack of communication between middle & senior management. - Overly ambitious - Lack of respect for the Smaller Companies (AIM) team

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 English Reviews