Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

2.8
Overstock.com CEO Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen(in 68 reviews)

• "Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired(in 26 reviews)

1. "Got to work learn log of new things"

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

1. updated techonongy 2. good team culture 3. flexible timing 4. reading groups

Cons

1. not good bonus 2. mismanagement of marketing

Overstock.com2013-10-15
  2. "Great Company with a Social Conscious"

in Salt Lake City

I have been working at Overstock.com for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great Co-workers - Great environment to learn your craft - Good benefits - Opportunity to move into other departments and learn new trades - The Company cares about giving back to the community

Cons

I don't want to state any cons because I believe that there are cons any place you work. Any con that I have is based on personal bias and may not give you the answers you are looking for and what you need to know to decide.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of people leaving the company. I would figure out why.

Overstock.com2015-05-22
  3. "Overstock has its perks"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, lots of training available, flexible schedules

Cons

disconnect with retail could be improved

Advice to Management

Keep Striving

Overstock.com2019-10-02

"Some of What You Want, for Less"

Former Employee - Content Marketing Copywriter in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool corporate campus, fun monthly events, good insurance options, generous 401k match, on-site health clinic & daycare, and a reasonably priced cafeteria with tasty food.

Cons

Nepotism really is as rampant as other reviewers say. It's leadership roulette, some seem capable and confident while others... are less so. Building trust in leadership is a constant, company-wide struggle. Direct management is also a toss-up. In my time at Overstock, I had managers that were empowering and trusting as well as managers that seemed to enjoy belittling, shaming, and criticizing others. A lot still... needs to be done to improve psychological safety in the workplace. Early on, compensation was fair and competitive, but Overstock has developed a habit of permanently increasing job responsibilities without increasing pay. It's easy to get stuck in a dead-end position. Not enough opportunities for advancement. There's a perception that management's only willing to create new positions for friends.

Advice to Management

Make your retail employees feel valued again, and not by throwing them a few RSUs or more days of PTO. The gap between what your retail employees are worth and what they are paid is rapidly increasing. Enough excuses. It costs less to give a consistent/reliable employee a modest raise than it does to hire and train their replacement.

Overstock.com2019-10-07
  5. "Good experience !"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people to work with. - Great place to learn & grow. - Good pay as per the location.

Cons

- Regular firing makes people nervous (one of the reasons to leave company else would not have ever).

Advice to Management

- Management is not focused. Keeps on changing plans without completing existing goals.

Overstock.com2019-08-31

"Need better pay and more reasonable expectations for leadership"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great. Being able to work in the greenhouse and attend meditation during the workday is incredible. The company culture is great and the monthly parties are awesome.

Cons

The pay was nowhere near competitive for my discipline. Despite requiring a college degree for my position, they paid an hourly wage that amounted to about 36,000 a year. At my level the culture was fun, but friends in management were often overly stressed and weren't provided with necessary resources to be successful.

Advice to Management

If a college degree is required for a job, ensure that you're paying them enough to feed themselves, in addition to paying off school. Change your approach to management and don't try to motivate people by threatening their job security.

Overstock.com2019-08-28

"I LOVED my job."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there for 15 years and unfortunately was among the 300+ laid off at the beginning of the year. Did it hurt? Very much so. But I still have only positive things to say about Overstock. I know many have been critical of executives. But as with all companies this big, you are bound to have a few leaders you don't care for. However, as for all managers I worked under, I can only report on what they were —... exceptional. My managers encouraged me to push myself and were always willing to give me new opportunities. Even at times I fell short, they were willing to help me get back on my feet and improve myself. I know many people will think that sounds crazy that I didn’t have a bad experience with management my entire 15 years, but it is true. I had more interactions with the CEO in my early years, but even up to my last day I always found him to be insightful, smart, and caring. The coliseum is the best. Fantastic cafeteria, weekly massage therapist, gym, daycare, and even onsite medical care. I was always pleased with benefits and while I had my Associates Degree when I first started, Overstock paid my tuition for the rest of my schooling to get my Bachelors. They also have fun social events and concerts. The biggest praise I can give were my fellow coworkers. Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there. And I LOVED my last team so so much. I miss seeing and socializing with them daily. I will never have another team like it. The company came on some hard times recently but what business doesn’t? While it brought my 15 years to an end, I can only say I wish it had been 30.

Cons

Parking lot is a good 8-10 minute walk (but can anyone really complain that Patrick wants to keep you healthy?).

Advice to Management

No advice. Just a sincere "thank you" for all the experiences and opportunities.

Overstock.com2019-08-13

"The Tech side of Overstock is a pretty solid company with a good future if they can only keep focused."

Former Employee - Asset Recovery Specialist in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Opportunities for advancement and promotions, amenities, environment and culture. I really enjoyed my team and department I worked in. My pay was above average for the marketplace.

Cons

The CEO is trying to sell off the retail portion of the company while keeping the tech side and blockchain property management and development subsidiaries. So, it's often difficult to gauge your career path and your place in the company.

Advice to Management

Share more information about how things are going and what is really expected of you.

Overstock.com2019-08-22

"Ok place to work"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great building and cafeteria, nice to have a gym onsite.

Cons

Management only promote their cronies/family members

Overstock.com2019-08-01
  10. "Overstock has great people but not enough of them to keep up with the workload"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great 401k match, on-site clinic, on-site gym.

Cons

No work-life balance and compensation is on the lower end

Overstock.com2019-08-15