Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance and good benefits" (in 74 reviews)

• "Great environment with great people" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen" (in 67 reviews)

• "Little to no work life balance up to 70 hour weeks in Q4" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Got to work learn log of new things"

Pros

1. updated techonongy
    2. good team culture
    3. flexible timing
    4. reading groups

Cons

1. not good bonus
    2. mismanagement of marketing

2. "Great Company with a Social Conscious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Co-workers
    - Great environment to learn your craft
    - Good benefits
    - Opportunity to move into other departments and learn new trades
    - The Company cares about giving back to the community

Cons

I don't want to state any cons because I believe that there are cons any place you work. Any con that I have is based on personal bias and may not give you the answers you are looking for and what you need to know to decide.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of people leaving the company. I would figure out why.

"Test Automation Engineer: Great facility, great people, poor management"

Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facility is fantastic. Everyone gets a standing desk and relatively good equipment. A lot of natural lighting. Hours tend to be flexible in terms of how early of late you come into work, and a lot of treams allow you to work from home (on the tech side) when you need to.

Cons

Management seems impulsive and unfocused. A lot of projects seem to start and end without much planning.

Advice to Management

Focus on your strengths and improving your marketing. Perhaps rebrand the company. The name Overstock name has been around for over 20 years, and it's still not obvious to the average person that they sell more than just overstocked goods.

"Fun culture and bright people"

Former Employee - Dev Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Dev Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart technical people and challenging work

Cons

Lots of VPs with poor management skills

"Overall a great ride but the ending was bitter"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the regular employees are really good,very helpful and kind.
    I have had the pleasure of working some really good team leads and managers.
    Extremely dedicated dev ops and website support/system engineers.
    Honest CEO
    Hardworking and good CTO Nate

Cons

Changes in management every few months/weeks.
    Loss of good leaders.
    Recent hiring of some people with bad bad attitudes and 0 experience.These people do not promote inclusiveness and bring about a lot of negativity into the work place.
    One lead treated me differently because I was honest and upfront about having to relocate to a different place due to personal reasons ,I ended up not relocating and he told me “oh I didn’t want to be nice to you when you were anyway going to leave but now since you don’t plan to leave I will let you WFH”.Punishing honest people will only promote dishonesty.
    I moved teams to support the business just two weeks before they gave out bonuses -bonuses at ostk are team based and though I was in the former team for 2 years and should have had received the bonus,I didn’t.Its not about the money but it’s just not fair to leave out a dedicated member of the team because they switched teams just a few weeks before the bonuses are handed out.
    The CEO is very trusting and believes in the people who have power and power is often placed in wrong hands.

Advice to Management

Patrick,you mentioned that the recent layoffs were not based off the 360 reviews but they were decided by VP’s and SVP’s but they were in those positions for less than a month ,so they did not know us or our work.On what basis did they pick who they picked to get laid off?Our managers and teammates know more about what we do,not the SVP’s or VP’s who haven’t been in the company or their positions of power for long enough.

"Good opportunity, but very little stability"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Midvale, UT (US)
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Midvale, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, competitive salaries, and a good work/life balance

Cons

My time at Overstock was somewhat of a rollercoaster... I had a lot of great opportunities to grow, but I quickly learned that the company was poorly managed with very little stability. In the year or so that I worked there were 4 company re-orgs and two rounds of layoffs. As long as you don't get to far up in the company things are pretty good, but the upper level management and strategy is terrible.

"Talent should run!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

There are some gems in the company still. The vision is right on. Mid level management is great. Opportunities galore (because there’s nobody left)

Cons

Mid level management and below have a lot of talent. Overstock has always had to run lean because of financial reasons. Luckily, there are creative and brilliant people who have adapted. The main issue is that a lot of talent has left the company and the people left have an impossible task. The ship cannot survive long term. The legacy systems, database, architecture, and data sources need a lot of work. There’s not feasible way to get ahead of it without a lot of time, talent, and resources to address it. With the company being sold and the talent constantly leaving, it’s hard to bring on qualified talent to get the jobs done.

Advice to Management

Work on the data integrity. Starting from the ground up. Build an infrastructure/architecture for long term. Lean on the experts before you make huge decisions. It’s obvious that you have your feet to the fire. Either deal with it or leave. Feels like Overstock has a babysitter not leadership!

"Was a good starting place"

Former Employee - Partner Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Partner Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of autonomy to pursue other positions within the company

Cons

Lots of politics and favoritism dictating who progressed

Advice to Management

Careful to show discipline in moving forward, seems like an organization that changes it's mind on what it is doing too often.

"The higher up you get, the more of a joke this place is"

Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT (US)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The building is new
    -The building is unique
    -People ask, "Overstock... is that that round building in Midvale? "
    -Standing and sitting desks
    -Collaborative environment
    -Comfy furniture in the office
    -There are nice people to work with
    -The view can be great depending on where you are in the building
    -Subsidized daycare (starting at $860/month for a 6 week old, full time only)
    -on site gym for free
    -Subsidized on sight bon appetite cafe food

Cons

Favoritism is big here at Overstock. At first you think its all about performance and how well you do your job, but as you get to know people, become familiar with senior leadership, you start to understand that a lot of people are where they are, because who they are friends with (they hand out VP and Director titles like candy). There is a very tight knit group of senior leadership, they all started at Overstock about the same time and are all high up in the company even though you see them wandering around not doing anything (CMO is a very hardworking guy, the rest are "cool guys"). Senior leadership is a joke here. It's hard to get them all on the same page. No one wants to be the guy to have the final say as to what to do for sure. It's a lot of... well I can see both options, so and so what do you think? Senior leadership doesn't have a backbone. Also, they are terrible at planning. They have a "hire now because we need projects done and lay them off later" mentality. Overstock is trying to get acquired so they decide that because of the CEOs poor ability to plan and blow a whole bunch of spend and how that will affect the company, they decide that layoffs need to happen to make it look like they are a smooth, trimmed, operating machine, then try to cover up the layoff reasoning with problems with SEO and Google. I look around the office and see and hear people that got laid off because of "performance issues" but yet I see people still there, higher management, that all they do is wander around the office and chat to people. Good luck challenging the status quo too. You start to even question and challenge upper management, they will either burn you or make your life very difficult. If you want to work for a company that promotes based on your friends, go for it. Overstock SAYS they promote work life balance, value the employee and the little guys, and care and cherish your hard work, but at the end of the day, there is a forever growing gap of upper management and the average worker. As long as Overstock makes money, senior management will continue to treat themselves well with great pay, but will make sure that the little guys and everyone else that made it possible to get where they are, stay well below them in responsibilities, compensation, and the friend circle. Also senior leadership is grossly overpaid. As I have developed friendships, people share what their compensation is (I personally know people in most of these roles, other roles the people I know have told me)

Manager $75- $90k
    Senior Manger $85-130k
    Director $120-$170k
    Senior Director $160-200k
    VP $180-$250k
    SVP $230-300k
    CO $300+k

Advice to Management

- Get on the same page as your peers
    - Keep actual good talent and don't push away your employees who actually bring value
    - When you say trim the fat, trim the fat of people who don't do anything and nevermind that they are buddies with certain people
    - Actually do what you say that you value the little people and encourage work life balance
    - Get better management

10. "Flexible work schedule and good benefits."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership members and co-workers. Many different advancement opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate and the job responsibilities change very frequently, but other than that there are not too many Cons in my opinion.