Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "oup"

Updated 8 Sep 2020

3.3
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance and supportive working environment with good opportunities for promotion(in 67 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need more investments in the publishing operations if OUP is going to be an active participant in the new publishing environment(in 68 reviews)

• "Low pay and slow career progression(in 48 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "oup"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Process driven, change enabled but old shackles"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Delhi

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Processes introduced by new management was a brilliant move. Industry is not that great and mostly it's a low value product sales for customer, but still OUP has done remarkably well. Corporate office is a better place to work but regional aren't. Decent salary payout.

Cons

Difficult working with regional teams. Industry doesn't have much regulations and govt guidelines, which reflects when working on the field. Sales is not easy at OUP and is seasonal too.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks so much for the review - if you have anything to add or anything you would like to speak to us about offline, you can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com.

2. "Working at OUP"

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in Noida

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

OUP India provides good experience for people in the academic publishing industry and facilitates holistic growth of an editor by enhancing skills like copyediting as well as project management.

Cons

OUP India is not great for vertical career growth. More advanced infrastructure and employee training for the new infrastructure are needed.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to hear that you are enjoying working at OUP. We hear a lot of good feedback about our brand, and the experience working at OUP provides. However, we’d like to understand more about your comments around career growth and training. This is an area we’re focusing on a lot at the moment, across the whole of OUP, so we’d appreciate the chance to discuss your experiences further to get your views on what else we can do to support career development at the Press. You can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Bitter Experience working in such a renowned publisher."

1.0
    Former Intern - Analyst in Calcutta

I worked at Oxford University Press for more than 5 years

Pros

Brand name. Work-life balance. decent pay for beginners.

Cons

bad manager. favoritism, no proper escalating channel, no reward for hard workers..managers always eager to prove the subordinates wrong...very selfish and political environment.. Those who are really serious about work are left unnoticed intentionally. OUP India is not a place for ambitious employees. This company is filled with extremely bossy and rude managers who think they're the king of the company.

Continue reading
  4. "Oxford University Press"

5.0
    Former Intern - Editor in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press

Pros

Cons

Highly competitive, and Oxford is expensive

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate your feedback and it's great to see that you enjoyed your time at OUP. If you would like to expand on any of the points you make within your review, then you can email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

5. COVID-19

"Great place to work... if you can afford it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Highly educated, progressive, friendly colleagues -Excellent work-life balance -Good for both team-based and independent work styles -High profile brand to add to CV -Matching pension contributions up to 11%

Cons

Contrary to popular belief, the Oxford brand is not synonymous with money: -Salary is simply not competitive. Period. -The default is to do things on the cheap. Have one person do the work of 2-3 people. Have employees volunteer to do for free what should be contracted externally, and paid at an appropriate market rate. -Lack of technology understanding among middle management. Some people genuinely don't grasp the calibre of the amazing talent they have, and how much it's really worth in the labour market. -Replacing leavers is not a policy by default. Overworked remaining employees have to complain repetitively for new hires before new vacancies are authorised. This can either not happen at all, or take months. In the meantime, additional workload needs to be taken care of, with no pay raise. (But to be fair, this is common in many organisations, not just OUP). -Sadly the one financial great benefit, the pension matching, is calculated on meagre salaries, and only goes up to 11% if you contribute 9% yourself. This only works if you do not need the money in the short term. All of the above can make working at OUP great for two types of people: 1. Young, recent graduates with zero financial responsibilities 2. Seasoned colleagues who already have made the rounds and have accrued a sizeable pension. Sadly, OUP simply does not work for middle-career professionals with big upcoming life projects (that new house, that new member of the family, that advanced degree...). Working at OUP is just simply not affordable. A shiny brand on your CV that does not pay your mortgage.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful that you took the time to share your experiences about working at OUP. While it’s great to see your positive feedback on our people, brand, and culture, we’re concerned by some of the points you raise around reward and mental health. Supporting and reward our employees for their work and commitment is incredibly important to us, and we’d appreciate the chance to discuss the points you raise in more detail. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"For all the current OUP employees reading this—the mistreatment and toxicity isn’t okay, and it isn’t your fault."

1.0
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are an assistant, or starting in an entry-level position that pays a poverty wage—please know that every other assistant will move heaven and earth to help you. They’ll train you on everything that matters (and anything else that requires training—there isn’t a single systems trainer in the NY office). They will tell you which male editors to avoid at the holiday party, they’ll help you find a contract from 2009 because high-profile academics are berating you and you have 200 other books under contract assigned to you and *somehow* it’s all yours to fix. They’ll tell you to leave your cubicle and take a break when you’re close to tears, and they’ll toast you wholeheartedly with cheap alcohol hidden in filing cabinets when you’re fired, pushed out, or “choose” to leave of your own will because you have bills to pay and your hair is falling out. But before that happens, please also know they’ll be behind you and fighting with you.

Cons

If you ask Oxford University Press what their stance is on a starting wage of $30k in NYC with unpaid OT expected but never acknowledged, or the fact that this non-profit makes a HEFTY profit that’s then sent back to Oxford University as a cash surplus (you know, since Oxford has historically been hard up for money...), or their long history of imperialism and racism, or how most of the editorial board meetings are simply a rerun of a Mad Men episode meant to illustrate how things were in “the past,” or the rampant violations of basic employment law or standard HR compliance, or the fact that the most prestigious and well-respected University press in the world is just...an utter disappointment to anyone with a love of teaching, writing, editing, or just...creating things that have a purpose and do something? Well, OUP’s answer would be: “Oxford.” Truly, that’s the beginning and end of their business strategy, let along their approach to community engagement—“Oxford. O-X-F-O-R-D.” You want to know why books published by OUP have ISBNs? Underpaid assistants. You want to know why these books have covers to show to the world? Longtime talent in the design department. You want to know who makes it so that these books are printed and distributed? Manufacturing. And still, OUP has one answer, and one answer only—and they know it will not be enough.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for getting in touch. As you can imagine, some of the issues you raised here are a real cause for concern and I’d like to address a few of them directly. 1. Firstly, on your comments about salary and reward, the entry-level salary figure you cite is no longer accurate, following earlier adjustments to increase assistant salaries well above that level. Furthermore, we remain actively focused on entry-level salaries and are working to take additional actions, even within the context of the current challenges posed by the pandemic. 2. Secondly, you raised some points around imperialism and racism, particularly in relation to our history. As is the case for many organizations at the moment, this is a topic that has been widely discussed at OUP over the last few months. Presently, in the US, we have carried out a series of listening sessions with our BIPOC employee base and, across our offices worldwide, we are in the process of carrying out similar exercises. Through these, we hope to identify tangible and immediate steps to support diversity and inclusion, and workplace culture, across OUP. We also continue to implement more inclusive recruitment practices and run global inclusion workshops to tackle unconscious bias. As a core value, we do not tolerate racism, prejudice, or harassment in any form, and are committed to anti-racist principles. 3. Finally, I was really concerned to read your reference to violations of employment law and HR compliance. Unpaid overtime is not expected and, in fact, we frequently emphasize—at briefings, in communications—that everyone who works OT should be paid for it. If you would be willing, I would encourage you to reach out to us directly (glassdoor@oup.com) or to our Speak UP hotline (https://wrs.expolink.co.uk/speakupoup) to tell us more about the specifics of this so that we can do something about any such instances. I really hope you will consider getting in touch. Best wishes, David Clark Managing Director, Academic Division

"Underhand tactics and bad management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Editorial in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

good co workers good facilities historically good contractual terms

Cons

bad management HR who force the workforce to amend their contract either voluntarily or via redundancy and rehire. This has happened multiple times and sets a worrying trend whereby OUP can hire people with what seem like fantastic contractual terms but amend them when they wish. Surely this is illegal?

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and would like to reassure you that OUP is committed to operating fairly, ethically, and in compliance with the law at all times. If you would like to tell us more about your specific concerns, we encourage you to get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Swings and roundabouts"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Motivated and creative team, flexible working hours, rostered Friday afternoons off

Cons

The pay is abhorrent, there are no clear paths to progress, communications between teams and people's willingness to let things slip through the cracks is a cultural problem. OUP cannot retain talent and the people in the business suffer for it.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re disappointed to see that you wouldn’t recommend working at OUP. While it is good to see you enjoyed the flexibility of working here, as well as working with your team, we’re concerned to see some of your feedback regarding our culture, reward, and talent retention. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this in more detail with you, and encourage you to get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Making necessary transitions, but it's a good place to work."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Still values the importance of the scholarship we publish in a very challenging marketplace. Good work/life balance, which is very hard to find. Opportunities to move around, though admittedly requires having a champion.

Cons

The balance between not-for-profit leader in scholarly comms is very often at odds with the requirements to return a profit to the University. Need more investments in the publishing operations if OUP is going to be an active participant in the new publishing environment.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and we’re pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience at OUP. We are always keen to find out what we can do to improve, so if you would like to tell us anything else about what we’re doing well, and where we can do better, please do get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

"Good people, poor management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Development Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

OUP is home to some of the best people you'll ever meet.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of OUP's entry- and mid-level employees are undervalued by the company, in both pay and recognition. The future of publishing in NY is not looking great.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working here, and for your positive feedback about our people. We regret to see your comments around reward, and also the impact of business decisions on our people, and would like the chance to discuss this in more depth. We hope you will consider getting in touch with us to tell us more, so please do email us on glassdoor@oup.com.

Found 105 reviews