PagerDuty Reviews

Found 217 of over 238 reviews

4.2
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is what you make it but here it's better than most(in 23 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Company is maturing and experiencing some growing pains as a result(in 15 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee

Went from truly the best place to work to a place I can't consciously recommend to a friend

2 Jun 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

- PEOPLE are mostly amazing - used to have great lunch - 401K (but match is only 1%) - generous vacation (3 weeks your first year, 4 weeks every year after) - great product - some of the best leaders

Cons

- sales process is a COMPLETE mess (manual quotes, what? it's 2021... and PD has been a public co for over 2 years) - reps don't get paid correctly (we constantly had to find errors in Anaplan, file tickets, and spend weeks following up with someone to take a look and correct them) - sometimes the payout gets "adjusted" after a large sale is booked, and the comp team does not pay the full amount according to the comp plan THEY had you sign because suddenly you found a way to maximize this comp plan - no accountability for anyone else but the IC: renewals constantly drop the ball but only the sales team is punished for any churns; BDRs rarely present AEs with legitimate meetings and their management is a total joke. - leaders are focused on dashboards and metrics not quality - PD began outsourcing SDRs, CSMs, and renewal departments to third parties who don't care about their own metrics resulting in poor customer experience and churn that is then blamed on AEs

7 people found this review helpful

PagerDuty Response

PagerDuty is for people. We may be growing fast but we are relentless in our commitment to treating our employees with respect and investing in the next generation of leaders. Our sales process and plans are consistent with industry standards and we hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity in administering them. We know there is always room for improvement, and look forward to rolling out new programs based on feedback our employees shared with us in our most recent engagement survey. Thank you for your service to PagerDuty. We wish you the best in your next role.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Better than most SaaS with lots of potential

8 Apr 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product is loved by its core user base, and its solid for what it does. There are lots of opportunities to advance, and there is training that is generously offered. Since Covid-19, the remote working stipend is generous and there are additional days off once a month to ensure that mental health is maintained. Lots of dedication to DE&I (Diversity Equity and Inclusion)

Cons

its incredibly siloed. If you work in one team you can rarely expect to ever meet, talk or see another team. Its also cursed with Hero's all over the place. Everyone does everything all at the very last.. which means there is little planning that is put in place for most programs or ideas. Also not great everything is in the Executive teams heads, and although they are super strong they "delegate" but then proceed to push their way back into whatever they have delegated. so you will find that as an individual contributor that you do as your told, and cheer when we win, and then get scolded when we loose. The leaders are green-ish to this industry and some get it, most don't. Its starting to feel more and more tech-bro-ish (ala corporate bro... google it) Messaging and product are all over the place and trying to be everything to everyone at a scale that we really cannot handle because we don't have the internal infrastructure to support our big ideas

3 people found this review helpful

PagerDuty Response

Thank you for your review and for your help in providing exceptional service to our customers. We’re so glad to hear that you’ve had a positive experience and would recommend PagerDuty to your friends! We agree that we have opportunities as a rapidly scaling business to strengthen our work environment and provide an even better employee experience. You can expect new programs rolling out soon to address many of the challenges you mentioned, like work-life balance and communication. In regards to your comment about the workplace starting to feel “tech-bro”/“corporate bro”, we would like to remind you that PD has a policy against and does not tolerate discrimination or harassment. PD takes your concerns seriously and would like to look into them. If you are uncomfortable discussing these issues with our manager, your second level manager or your HRBP, please report your concerns at www.pagerduty.ethicspoint.com, so that the Company can thoroughly look into your issues. We also encourage you to expand upon your feedback in our annual engagement survey, which you should have received last week. The results from this survey help us identify key focus areas to help you #LeadtheWay this year. Thank you for caring about PagerDuty and wanting us to be the best we can be!

3. 3.0

Great Company - Stay away from Sales Department

26 May 2021 - Sales Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO and company culture are amazing ... family first ... flexible... overall wonderful environment .. great Incident Management solution too

Cons

I would highly recommend not working on the Sales team ... especially Enterprise Sales ... they are flooding the market with AE’s and most reps by the end of the year are going to be lucky to be at 50% of attainment. Additionally, the deal sizes are no where near what I would classify as “Enterprise” level .... they tend to be between 10-20K if even that... more like single deals 5-6K ....occasionally there may be a deal a little higher but the number of deals even over 100k are so minimal it by shear luck you can find one ! If you are not looking to make commission and you are okay with living on base salary and are not seeking success then this would be a job that would fit your needs.

1 person found this review helpful

PagerDuty Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. PagerDuty is focused on product-led growth and our sales model is based on success. We offer competitive remuneration across all roles, and for sales, compensation is a combination of base salary, equity, and commission. Enterprise deal criteria is industry standard. We are rapidly growing and always looking for ways to improve employee experience. In Sales, we have several new programs rolling out to address challenges our Dutonians have shared with us. Thank you and we wish you well in your next adventure.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Accountability for programing

13 May 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The commission structure across levels can be quite lucrative. - Great benefits - Market leading product - Supporting colleagues and a great culture

Cons

There is very little accountability on leadership for the programs being run in the sales org. Individual contributors are the only ones held accountable while many of the programs to support us drop the ball. This is made evident by the overwhelming level of churn that the sales org has experienced. Over the last year we've lost more talent than usual. The most notable example is the BDR org, who recently lost all their tenured members.

4 people found this review helpful

PagerDuty Response

Thank you for your review. As a rapidly growing company, we are continuously improving upon how we work, and strive to always communicate clear expectations and accountability. Specifically within the Sales organization, we are working on new programs to ensure individuals and teams are set up for success. We value your input and encourage you to reach out to your manager and your HRBP to further discuss your feedback. Thank you!

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

One of the best companies I worked for

6 Jun 2021 - People Operations in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is tech so expect all the perks that come with it. During the "in office days" free food, snacks, drinks, great benefits, flex time, and great pay etc. The people team has done an excellent job at hiring for diversity and talent. It's a great thing when you scan the office and see all ages, ethnicities, genders, and LGBTQ + represented. Irrespective of you job title, management wants more from you. They want you to bring your ideas to the table and innovate. You will not be a worker "bot" if you contribute they will continue to develop you professionally. Consider yourself lucky if they hire you, they discriminating for ability and fit. Getting hired is a rigorous process. You will work with the best!

Cons

I rated PD with only 3 stars because your professional success within this organization and your mental health is going to be determined by the manager and department you end up working at. The people team is aware that there are some historically toxic leaders from the director level and above but all they do is ruminate, pace the floor, and wring their hands about it. These leaders have a high turnover in their respective departments and that has started to erode the morale and the culture that PagerDuty has worked so hard to achieve.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Great Software Engineering culture

4 Mar 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

A strong technical reputation, interesting architecture and opportunity to learn a lot. Individual contributors are empathetic and talented. There’s a very strong culture of operating what you build on production. Jen is an amazing CEO and role model to all. Some of the technical stuff we're building on top of we take for granted but are pretty amazing. You'll be oncall for what you build and work on interesting scaling challenges. Engineering leadership at all levels respond to feedback with decisive action. They make sure there's a team who owns each problem, and generally do a good job making tough calls about hiring and firing.

Cons

We had distributed engineering teams in mostly two cities before the pandemic, but adapting to fully remote has been hard. We have microservices and a drive for autonomous well-formed teams but it's more tangled than anyone would like. We sometimes have a bias for inaction via committees and councils. This is improving (see managers respond to feedback). We're working on diversity at the senior engineering level.

7. 4.0

Inspiring Leadership, Challenging IT Product

23 Feb 2021 - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The leadership was amazing to learn how a start up matures into a publicly traded company. Jennifer Tejada is a badass and has an aura of leadership similar to an inspiring politician. She commands a room, yet is kind and smiles at everyone around the office. - The culture of hiring diverse individuals who are empathetic and hard working. Everyone seems to go above and beyond for customers. - The tenured Enterprise Account Managers were so kind to us BDR's. They would love it when all of us were ripping cold calls for hours and learning through experience. - Everyone was so kind to each other. Never heard anyone say mean things about anyone. - It's common for people to switch positions in other departments to try other skills.

Cons

- Not too many cons but If I had to pick one or two it would be the challenge of onboarding and learning how to understand the product. - (Coming from a creative major and background) learning how to speak to IT Directors and their pain points, as well as how the product helps takes months to learn and years to master. - The road from SDR to AE is a lot longer than a start up, which can be frustrating for some.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0

Amazing CEO, subpar ProductEngDesign leadership

3 Feb 2021 - Senior Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Jen Tejada is a world class CEO. Positive social impact minded culture, caliber of people is pretty good (not the best in class but better than average)

Cons

The senior leadership leading the entire product development organization represents very commonplace tech bro culture under the hood of superficial positivity. They lack the experience for what the company needs right now as it’s changing. Individual contributor level engineers and PM’s are high caliber but there’s are multiple director, senior director, VP, and SVP level men who throw buzzwords around to sound intelligent when in fact that are out of touch. Several are expert mansplainers who love to pat one another on the back. Gender and other diversity does not exist in the mid to upper layer where it’s needed and it’s hurting the culture. Psychological safety is very low specifically in this part of the organization. These execs need many reminders/extra study time or quality lessons in mastering what it means to actively listen, be compassionate (not just claim to empathize), and not be dismissive about experiences different from whatever narrative is needed to fluff their egos.

12 people found this review helpful

Talent Operations

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. It helps us make PagerDuty a better company for all Dutonians. We strive to create an open culture at PagerDuty and value feedback so that we can become an even better company. If you would like to talk further about any of these topics, please feel free to reach out to your HR Business Partner. Thank you again for your feedback. As we continue in this hyper-growth period, we prioritize creating a welcoming and inclusive culture that represents diversity at all levels. Our first-ever Diversity Report helps to outline some of these commitments, and I'd love for you to take a look here: https://www.pagerduty.com/careers/diversity/. Additionally, we added an Executive Recruiting Diversity Talent Partner to our Talent Acquisition Team this year to focus on diversity recruitment for senior levels of our organization. We also take Leadership Development very seriously as a responsibility and our leadership team is committed to creating an environment where employees feel a sense of psychological safety and we reinforce that across many of our programs.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not so clear vision

31 May 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent, Easy to contribute elsewhere.

Cons

No company vision. There aren't product teams, just open teams.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Perfect

2 Jun 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture, Work Life balance

Cons

Sometimes execution speed seems slow for the size of company

Viewing 1 - 10 of 217 Reviews