Paychex Employee Reviews about "customer service"

Updated 1 Apr 2020

3.8
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci
1,338 Ratings
Pros
  • "Paychex offers great benefits including a very generous tuition assistance program that you can start using on the second month of employment(in 235 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance is amazing, flexible(in 179 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "customer service"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company to Sell For if You Are Willing to Work Hard!!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paychex always pays commission on time. If you are top 5%, you begin to make serious money. If you are top 1%, you make awesome $. Medical benefits are great! Paychex is a big company where people still care. I have worked for 5 -6 different managers. I haven't had a bad manager so far.

Cons

Sometimes territory can be a little bit saturated since there are many sales rep. Sometimes sales reps fight over accounts. Some sales reps are not very honest and lie to sell to accounts that are not theirs. It is not Paychex's fault. It is the sales rep. Customer service issues have increased over the years as Paychex now offers more than 80 products. Hopefully, it will improve.

Paychex2020-04-02

April 6, 2020Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. We're thrilled to hear how happy you've been at Paychex. As you know, one of our values is Integrity so we'd like an opportunity to investigate your feedback a bit further - please email us at glassdoor@paychex.com. And we'll share your feedback about 401(k) with the benefits team. Thanks!

2. "Great if you like customer service and problem solving"

Former Employee - Rapid Response Payroll Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty cool desk setup (3 monitors), great company culture, great training, nice office space and amenities (cafe) with a great company culture

Cons

Call center type feel, training is a lot and a bit overwhelming, heavy customer service

Paychex2019-09-12

September 16, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate this feedback!

3. "Very disappointed"

2.0

I worked at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

401k benefits Extensive training program

Cons

Promised a stipend I didn’t receive as well as commission. Followed up with Human Resources sent to customer service and dropped there. Lack of professionalism.

Paychex2019-08-30

September 20, 2019Employer Brand Manager

We'd like an opportunity to investigate this further. Please contact us at glassdoor@paychex.com.

"Awful company to work for!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medical benefits are good!

Cons

Mgmt only cares about numbers! Emails multiple times per Day freaking out about sales numbers! Customer service is awful on the backend and they don’t care at all about the clients. Payroll specialists complain that they have too many calls to make so who cares. Sales is not allowed to contact operations. They must send an email to advise that a client is upset or needs help. Pay for sales is the worst in the business. Paylocity and ADP pay way more! Layoffs are coming! Watch in 2 years Paychex will have half the sales staff they have now!

Paychex2019-07-21

July 23, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We'd like to invite you to contact us to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please email us at glassdoor@paychex.com so we can set up some time to chat with you.

5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is amazing. They facilitate a fun environment and make their employees feel appreciated. Upper management does a great job of getting to know all employees. They are extremely receptive to feedback and are willing to make adjustments to improve employee satisfaction.

Cons

Customer service at it's finest! This job comes with many pros, but also the inevitable cons that come with customer service. There is a black out period during year end meaning no one can take time off. If you expect time off around the holidays, this job is not for you!

Paychex2019-06-13

June 21, 2019Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate YOU...and you taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

"The most stressful and difficult part of my career."

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Time and Attendance Implementation Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good benefits and opportunities if you're a favorite.

Cons

In my 10 years working there I knew 20 people who went out on medical leave. I've never worked for any company where the stress broke people. I know another 50 people who left to go do same job for a competitor. Paylocity often took 10 people at our end of year which is the busiest time . 10 years this happened over and over and later Kronos, Proliant and Ceridian joined the list. These companies have a work from home which Paychex fights. 10 thousand plus or more in salary differences and Glass Door ratings higher. Everyone would say how much better it was after leaving. Management listened cared and took care of them. We would often have up to 5 to 10 different managers in a year. Constant changes and poor execution with tons of application or hardware issues. Often leaving us on the floor having to be self sufficient to survive in our roles. If you weren't a yes man and spoke up you would then be black listed. It was often very difficult to provide proper customer service due to this. The worst part is due to the attrition rate's often above 25 to 30 percent yearly. The excessive case loads due to people leaving created a vicious cycle. Then the final reason I left with all of these issues was management deciding to combine three seperate roles into one. Two of those roles already with high attrition, Payroll and Time and Attendance. The training for this change was horrible. When asking to get re trained we were denied and told to "Do your best." This was clients payroll and many of us never wanted to do payroll as we were hired for HRO or Time and Attendance. Worse part is there was no compensation for two new added roles either. I loved my initial role, excelled and created raving fans and won numerous awards and bonuses every year. I put 6 figures into my 401k in 10 year's. But it was constant morale and a very caotic extremely stressful environment. Management even when told, even when they broke employees just never got the stress or caseloads or really cared. It was take it or leave it attitude that made me leave.

Paychex2019-02-24

February 28, 2019Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, and thank you for the years of service you provided at Paychex. It's disappointing to hear this feedback, and your concerns have been shared internally to management to address. While unfortunately you're no longer here, we'd still like an opportunity to discuss your experiences if you're interested. Drop us a line at employee_relations@paychex.com.

7. "Too big and too aggressive"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can make a lot of money as a sales rep if you are able to deal with all the BS

Cons

This company is too big and too aggressive. When you meet with a typical small business they just want us to run payrolls for them. In order to win the business from local competition we gave huge discounts and would not tell the customer it only lasts one year. In one year their price would jump substantially. Also, other sales reps from all over the company call and harass your clients constantly. Customer service is horrible and the client experience is not good at all.

Paychex2019-02-01
  8. "Sales Consultant"

4.0

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Management and peers support and strategic thinking

Cons

Turnover of customer service staff

Paychex2018-09-23

"Retirement Specialist"

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great training was offered.

Cons

I had the unfortunate experience of working with some of the most unethical group of people I have ever worked with. There was a complete lack of integrity, ethics and overall goodness for the sake of the business owner. "Get the sale no matter what." If it doesn't make sense for the company sign them up anyway. Customer Service? No. That does not exist.

Paychex2018-09-05
  10. "Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been at Paychex for 23 years and love working here! If you work hard and excel at the role you are in, there is opportunity for advancement. In working with your leadership, you can find the right career path for you to enjoy the job. We have a strong culture based on Integrity, Respect, Partnership, Service, Innovation, and Accountability that is second to none!

Cons

Paychex is a fast-paced environment and we work hard each and every day! This is not a 'con', but a reality that candidates should come to Paychex and plan to work together to provide excellent customer service for our clients.

Paychex2018-06-11