Penske Media Reviews

Updated 10 Jul 2020

4.3
Penske Media Chairman and CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske
Pros
  • "Great work environment, President truly cares about his employees, flexibility when personal crisis arises(in 11 reviews)

• "Very talented engineers and great people to learn from(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "They've already added 401k matching and increased the PTO amount within the last year(in 10 reviews)

• "Benefits are not as robust as other media companies (no 401k match the biggest disappointment)(in 6 reviews)

"A rewarding place to work"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Penske Media for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at PMC in Engineering is like a thrilling & exciting roller coaster ride at times & a serene walk in woods at other times. The engineering staff is experienced and so there's no hand-holding but even better there's no micro-management and the co-workers are supportive. As an engineer one is expected to put those grey cells in the brain to use & come up with solutions to problems, suggest alternatives etc. so the person gets every chance to improve and grow as a professional rather than being a yes man who's spoon fed everything. The management is supportive, engineering staff gets opportunities to develop & grow themselves, further their knowledge, get opportunities to learn and then implement them in their daily workflow so that everyone can benefit. If one has any idea then that is heard out, people pitch in with suggestions/improvements and in no time one gets helping hands to implement that idea. The synergy among co-workers is vibrant & intoxicating.

Cons

None that I can recall at the moment

"senior staff"

I have been working at Penske Media

Pros

Very strong technical team, challenging work, very well balanced family and office life. Very strong technical team, challenging work, very well balanced family and office life. Very strong technical team, challenging work, very well balanced family and office life.

Cons

salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion salary and promotion

3. "Great Company So Far!"

Current Employee - Director of Procurement Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the short 3 months that I've been here, my experience has been nothing but positive. Everyone is genuinely nice, management seems to be doing a fantastic job, and the morale is exceptionally high.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say at all!

Continue reading
  4. "Exceptional Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Supportive and inclusive culture that encourages transparency and accountability. Best work experience I have ever had.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons.

5. COVID-19

"A great place to work in media"

Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time

Pros

*So many of our peers are being laid off, but PMC has structured the company so there don't have to be any COVID layoffs *Senior management is smart and trying to make active strides to make the journalism industry more diverse *Benefits are great *Ability to grow in your career *People are always looking to make things better

Cons

Brands can sometimes silo themselves, ie cross-brand collaboration could be better

6. "Career builder"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PMC is where I learned collaboration at all levels and was the first time I was put into direct communication with c-suite executives who really cared what I had to say. The leadership was smart and always creative with what we were doing with the business and also open to my recommendations in a way that can be hard to find at other companies. There were multiples ways to expand and grow myself while there. I've recommended it as a solid place to work to colleagues in my field.

Cons

Acquisitions could cause workloads to increase overnight. The business grew a lot while I was there and from what I understand is still growing. It's exciting but can be a lot of work to manage.

7. COVID-19

"Working at PMC"

Current Employee - Manager Plus

I have been working at Penske Media full-time

Pros

Innovation Cross-brand collaboration Senior managements response to the pandemic is like none other I've heard of- supportive, caring, sensitive to every employees' individual circumstances Proactively reaches out for employee feedback as related to many topics, and adjusts policies and practices to accommodate the feedback.

Cons

Work-life balance is at times a challenge, but not consistently and it is what is typical for this industry.

8. "Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

PMC is an incredible company to work for. This is a company that really believes in innovation and creativity and gives employees the support to execute new ideas. I'm so impressed by everybody I interact with here, both in terms of their hard work and their humility. It is so exciting to work somewhere that continues to grow and innovate, especially in these times.

Cons

It would be good to have more communication among brands, but this is improving.

9. "Overworked, underpaid"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to take on new responsibilities, develop new skills, and grow as an individual; one of the better media corporations (not that that says much)

Cons

No racial diversity. We're also severely understaffed and corporate doesn't give us the resources to fix that because we aren't one of the profitable brands. But we'll never increase our profitability without the help and resources we need. It's a vicious cycle. My position is technically 3 separate jobs combined, because we don't have the budget to hire more employees.

10. "Inherently Defective Senior Management and No Diversity Policy"

2.0

I worked at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The list of publishing brands is impressive

Cons

Bad record on pay equity when it comes to gender Does not support a work/life balance based on job expectations Bad reputation on supporting diversity & inclusion and does not have any formal policy on hiring people of color. No strategic plan in place across senior management or the HR Dept. to create a career road map for minority employees HR Dept is not supportive or proactive about complaints related to cases of discrimination Inconsistent management at the senior level and bad behavior from senior leaders is allowed to dominate creating a stressful and demoralizing work environment

Found 101 reviews