Percolate Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 24 Jul 2019

3.7
Percolate CEO Randy Wootton
Randy Wootton
Pros
  • "Employees are very smart and hard working - everyone seems to be rowing in the right direction(in 9 reviews)

• "Percolate is a great company with a very good work life balance(in 8 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Exodus"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Once upon a time, Percolate had an amazing culture. It's still kind of there, but a little worse for the wear. Even so, there's some truly lovely people that work there. In the time I was at Percolate, I never had anything but positive interactions with my peers. Everyone's a professional and seems to work hard at their job. There's nice little perks like catered lunch once a week, cold brew on tap and healthy snacks. There's even a full espresso machine. Every so often there's small office events with food and booze - always nice. Engineering is a mixed bag, but there's no denying that a lot of stellar work was done on the tooling and infrastructure. Regardless of the outcome, there's a lot of smart people trying to create and maintain good processes. The work can be hard, but overall there's real personal control of work/life balance.

Cons

People are leaving in droves, so bandwidth suffers constantly. It's hard to tell if the ship is sinking or just afloat and abandoned. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. For me, the physical environment was unpleasant. The engineering floor is called the "fish bowl" because all the desks are in the middle of the floor surrounded by a perimeter of glass conference rooms. The benefits are the worst I've ever had at a startup - no 401k matching and a poor medical plan. There's stock options, but nobody I know bought any. Leadership is probably the biggest problem. Both of the founders left the company. Make of that what you will. The current CEO is very nice, but a bit reminiscent of a used car salesman. Senior leadership has intelligent people, but they still can't seem to figure out how to manage people and organize teams properly. Although they are seemingly transparent, it often feels like lies and lip service. Expectations are all over the place, and you can't count on consistent support. Unfortunately, this negatively impacts everything else.

July 31, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review. We certainly want all of our employees to enjoy working for Percolate, but also realize it may not be the environment for everyone and that's also ok. While happy to see all the pros you listed (which we're super proud of!), we would like to take the time to address the less than positive feedback because of how it impacted your time here. Firstly, we realize the office space you were in leaves a bit to be desired. We are in the process of procuring new space that we feel will be a breath of fresh air and very much what Percolate needs for our work environment (we're certainly pumped!). Our number one priority has always been our employees. So you all spoke up! We are listening. Benefits- We put a lot of work into designing our 2019 plans which are much better quality than in previous years and will continue to make improvements year over year. Benefits unfortunately cannot change over night because of how our healthcare system works, but we hope employees recognize the work that is going in to build out better plans for you and your families. 2020 is shaping up to be pretty great! Lastly, re: leadership. Our co-founders are both still Percolate's biggest supporters. They have moved on to tackle new and exciting adventures but still bleed Percolate Orange. That will never change. We are so proud of the work they did bringing Percolate to where we are today. We are also incredibly confident in our current leadership team and where they will lead us in the future. We encourage anyone who has concerns or lacks clarity on direction, purpose, mission, or simply has questions, please take the time to speak with members of our leadership team. They are always available and happy to chat!

"Engineering team LOVES installing new and useless processes constantly"

1.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. If you can put in 4-5 hours a day here you will be considered a top performer.

Cons

I apologize for not finding a way to sugar coat this because there are some very nice people in engineering here, but overall the engineering org is probably going to be the downfall of this company. The management in that group is in waaaaaaay over their heads which is the biggest problem, but somehow the other execs do not see this. Engineering management seems obsessed with putting in new processes all the time, which ultimately leads to less time to, you know, fix bugs and deliver features. Does not seem like a recipe for success for a mid-stage startup.

June 7, 2019People Operations

There's a lot to unpack here, but let me start with the pros. We are huge advocates of work/life balance and always will be. That's part of what makes working here so great! Our employees are people, first and foremost, so there needs to be healthy balance between work and one's personal life. Our CEO always talks about "family first" and we are proud to be a company that truly stands behind that statement. We also have some of the hardest working people around, which is certainly a plus! In terms of the engineering team, our recommendation is that you meet with some of the engineering leaders to learn more about what they are working on and why. We are a company of transparency and all of our leaders are more than willing to discuss what's working and what isn't. Join the office hours, ask to join a team meeting, speak with your peers in other departments! There are lots of ways to get more insight into all the hard work they are doing and what their priorities are. Thanks for your review!

3. "What Percolate's Like"

I have been working at Percolate full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Extremely transparent company to work at with every aspect of communication; if you'd like to know something, simply ask -If you're looking to get into more activities culturally with a company they provide every opportunity to do so with associated clubs/wellness activities -Truly value their employees and their participation within company events -Direct Managers as well as executives provide autonomy to their employees and encourage giving you the chance to enhance your career and learn -Excellent work/life balance

Cons

-No 401k match -Health benefits are not great

April 4, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review! We work hard to create a positive culture for our employees and are thrilled that you have found it to be just that. We are also all about that transparency! If you work for us, we want to make sure you know what you are working for! It's incredibly important. We are also working hard to constantly improve our benefit offerings. We made some pretty significant changes to our benefits going into 2019 and will continue to incorporate as much of your suggestions as we can. Please don't hesitate to share your ideas!

"Amazing work culture with incredible employees to match!"

Former Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Percolate for less than a year

Pros

Percolate is a great company with a very good work life balance. The employees are all stellar at what they do and everyone has a positive attitude that is contagious. The growth opportunities are also very transparent and available.

Cons

I personally didn’t have any while I was there.

October 15, 2018People Operations

Thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you experience working at Percolate was a positive one. Thanks for being a part of it!

"Sinking fast"

1.0

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office locations and good coffee

Cons

Where to start...Direction from the top is atrocious. Unapproachable and accusatory. Both founders believe they are gifts from above the way they treat their employees There is a real lack of mgmt. The people that are put in place, do not have the experience to make decisions Absolutely no accountability when things go wrong. Do not believe in any work life balance. You are looked down upon if you take vacation. Product has no real market fit. It is a nice to have. Not a need to have. From every part of the organization, people are looking to get out. My advice to anyone looking at a job here is to speak with current employees outside of the hiring process to get a real feel on what its like to work there.

May 15, 2018People Operations

Tough review, for sure. It's obvious you did not have the best experience working here, but since this review was written, a lot has changed. We want to make sure we address those changes. Since the start of the new year, we've hired several new leaders, director level and above, who have already made a huge impact on the business and our employees. They are bringing the right skill set and knowledge base to our growing organization and have provided the level of support that our employees needed to be at their best. Our CEO has introduced a company dashboard, not only for the sake of transparency around how the business is doing, but also so we can all hold each other accountable. It's been very well received and we will continue to regularly update the company each month on progress across all initiatives. Our product has also evolved tremendously over the last year and we are very proud of where it stands today. We are confident in our current market fit and providing a system that helps to unlock marketers' potential. We've also seen an increase in employee retention since the start of the new year and believe this trend will continue as a result of some of the above mentioned changes. Being in a start up is not always easy, but we feel confident we have made the right choices to get where we are today. We look at things from the past as learning opportunities and will be a stronger, healthier company as a result.

"Great product, great company!"

I have been working at Percolate

Pros

-Unique product -Great work culture- monthly office events, group outings, good work-life balance -Collaborative culture -Room to grow in your role & agency to take on projects of interest

Cons

-Like any startup, it's a fast paced environment and you must be able to adapt quickly

May 14, 2018People Operations

Our product IS pretty great, isn't it?? We're seriously proud of all our employees and all the work that's gone into making it best in class. We're also happy to hear your happy. Great people help to foster a great culture, so thanks for being a part of the Percolate team! We're excited for what's to come.

"Great People, great work environment, room for growth."

I have been working at Percolate full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Percolate for a little under a year now and these are my pros and cons. -Amazing colleagues! You will make friends at Percolate. -Management and execs are easy to get along with and very reachable. -Flexible Work/Life Balance (Unlimited vacation days, Work from home if needed) -I have yet to experience any form of micro management. -Room to grow, Percolate University and tons projects you can work on. -Extensive documentation and resources -The product is great. -Amazing customers that love what Percolate has to offer. -Transparency -Percolate Clubs!

Cons

The cons percolate has are the same as a lot of startups that are growing. -Constant change -just, okay compensation -Inconsistent workload

Continue reading

"Poor leadership is driving this place into the ground"

Former Employee - Customer Success in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people. For the most part, the people are really smart AND fun to work with. - Focus on design. The product and company really prioritize design and you can see that in the product and marketing materials. - Coffee - lots of free coffee, the espresso machine, cold brew on tap - The alumni network - got my next job through it and people are always willing to helping each other out.

Cons

- Management. James and Noah have no idea what they're doing when it comes to building a tech company (for reference, see all the reviews below). The people they've brought in at the top are all from big tech companies and never had to get their hands dirty. Just because you ran a small team at a 50,000 person tech company, does not mean you actually know how to grow a sales, engineering, support, marketing etc team at a start up. - Pay. Everyone across the board was grossly underpaid and there were promises to make it right and/or promote people and then they'd change their mind at the last minute. Also, since when are promotions without a pay increase ok? - Product. The idea for what they're building is great, but the actual execution is TERRIBLE. So many broken features, the roadmap is never followed through on, and customers are VERY unhappy. Customer churn is around 70% - yikes! - All of the lies. Percolate is busting at the seams with the lies it tells to prospects, customers and even internally. - Work life balance - LOL, what life? I was given the code to get into the office on the weekends my first week there.

"Wishy-Washy"

Product Specialist in Austin, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Percolate for less than a year

Pros

- Talented folks - A clean and beautiful product to look at - You’ll learn a lot about people’s characters - You’ll learn to be much more “efficient” - Working in Austin is not as stressful as working in NYC

Cons

- Promised an office overlooking downtown, instead they crammed 6 Customer Success folks in a tiny square box at Capitol Factory - Told “you’ll be surprised how efficient you can be and how well you can handle stress” without much guidance - Management seemed to not care about our work life balance only how many clients we could manage until things hit the fan - Burned money on pressed juice, in-house florists, hipster swag and etc. prior to hiring the CFO

"Great Product-Focused Company"

4.0
    Senior Product Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Percolate

Pros

- Great product that's been able to evolve and improve with the business - Product team is engineering-focused: reliable systems, good automation, contemporary software and hardware, etc. - Great product design and marketing teams, good taste throughout the org - Sane work-life balance - Leadership is honest and supportive (Important note: if you browse through the negative reviews here you'll see that none of them are on the product side of the business.)

Cons

- Comp is average, no 401K match

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews