PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animals"

Updated 2 Jan 2021

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
Cons
  • "Most animals like the peanut butter(in 461 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 276 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "animals"

Return to all Reviews

"Part time hourly cashier"

Part Time Cashier in Chennai
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart for more than a year

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Continue reading
  2. "Good workplace, bad management"

Former Employee - Dog Hotel Associate in The Colony, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, fair compensation for work

Cons

Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line

January 4, 2021Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to review. Please know that you can connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to speak further on anything mentioned above so that we can help.

3. "Great Coworkers, Horrible Management"

Former Employee - A Little Bit of Everything

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Opportunities to learn different departments(cashier, petcare, stocking, hotel, grooming).

Cons

Management sucked. Stayed in the office the whole time, even when they could clearly see cashiers needed help. Didn’t know how to handle the animals in the store. Afraid of the animals we sold.

January 4, 2021Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're sorry that this was your experience and would like to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat a bit more. Thanks again!

4. "Love Love Love"

5.0
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

The people are so amazing and working with the animals makes it so much better

Cons

cleaning after the animals wasn’t always fun but it was part of the job

December 2, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at PetSmart with us. We love that you enjoyed your management, coworkers, and work environment! Thank you for all that you did for the love of pets while with PetSmart!

5. "Stinky animals"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

They were great and it was very chill

Cons

Sometimes the animals were a little stinky

6. "Would Never Board my Pets Here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Pethotel Associate in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Learning new skills and playing with cute dogs.

Cons

Crazy hours for a part-time position, people are hired for positions they do not qualify for, extremely stressful, hostile work environment, horrible management, bad living conditions for animals, employees encourage lying to pet parents in order to keep them satisfied.

January 4, 2021Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hello, thanks for taking the time to review and share with us! Please know, we take your concerns seriously and would love to connect with you so that we can help. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to talk more with us.

7. "Rewarding sometimes & Always belittled"

2.0
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Chatham-Kent, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding & challenging, constantly learning new things. Benefits, decent pay with commission.

Cons

I worked 4 1/2 years as a groomer & 1 year as the salon manager. As a regular salon associate upper management belittled all employees, you would get in trouble if you turned customers away for good reason (such as being yelled/sworn at, dog was misbehaving, etc). Customers were verbally abusive. As manager I was expected to do things out of my comfort zone & was often talked down on by my boss. The company only cares about the dollars & none about the well being of the animals.

8. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Manahawkin, NJ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Once in awhile there are things that warm your heart like when an animal is received pregnant and you get the experience of raising baby animals. There is a lot to learn and it can be a great experience if you are open to learning.

Cons

There are some people who care more about sales and business than the health and safety of the pets so always make sure you advocate for the animals. The biggest con is that there is a huge disconnect between corporate and the store employees.

November 18, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

9. "A decent starter job"

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist in McKinney, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

easy, Interesting, low responsibility, no one gets in trouble or written up. You can basically do what you want if you get your task done.

Cons

upper management isn't the best depending on the location, rude and entitled customers, associates have no authority when it comes to animals meaning if the animal isn't going to go to a good home you can't deny the sale, associates don't get written up when they do something extremely wrong

November 25, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and would love to connect via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to see if we can help

10. "Overall Good Experience for a Retail Store"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-interesting to learn and care for animals -coworkers were great and helpful -consistent hours -coworkers do really care about you animals more often than not

Cons

-low pay for work -extended time on fee -a lot of responsibility overlooking animal care -sale of animals

November 25, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We're so happy to hear you love your coworkers and enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 461 English Reviews