Pinterest Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Nov 18, 2021

Found 17 of over 507 reviews

4.3
Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann
Ben Silbermann
Pros
  • "The best work-life balance I have come across(in 55 reviews)

• "Great culture - very collaborative, progressive and innovative(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pinterest doesn't have obvious cons so far(in 53 reviews)

• "There are definitely growing pains with a company that's experienced rapid growth(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Pinterest

Join the conversation on

Tech India

15.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Pinterest~503467
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company but no upward mobility

Nov 18, 2021 - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoy working at Pinterest, but its a larger company and there is no career outlook for our team. I am currently a contractor and there is no conversion plan for this role, so this team sees a high turnover.

Cons

Growing pains, no upward mobility or conversion plan

Pinterest Response

Thank you for the review! We’re glad you’re enjoying your time at Pinterest and appreciate the feedback on where we have room to improve. We’ll be sure to take your advice and insight into consideration as we build for the future. If you’d like to share additional details directly, contact us at gd@pinterest.com, or call our anonymous hotline: (844) 704-6249. Pinterest People Team

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Poor Middle Management

Aug 14, 2019 - User Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, lots of smart people to learn from

Cons

Growing pains... like any other start-up

People Team

Thank you for your feedback! We pride ourselves on our amazing people and culture, I'm encouraged that you are experiencing them. We've grown a lot but hopefully any growing pains that you experience with smooth out with time and attention. I've noted your feedback on middle management, and will investigate further. If you're comfortable, there is an anonymous hotline to give more feedback directly: (844) 704-6249. Jo, CHRO

3. 4.0

Great Company, Still Experiencing Growing Pains

Jun 16, 2019 - Sales Manager in Ogden, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pinterest does a few things exceptionally. They develop their people incredibly well, I feel as though I've learned more in 18 months than in my entire previous career. The truly care about their employees, they emphasize work-life balance and allow for people to have lives outside work. They also truly care about their users, making a product that is focused actually improving peoples lives.

Cons

There are definitely growing pains with a company that's experienced rapid growth. Sometimes feels like upper-level executives don't understand that Pinterest generates revenue by selling ads. Also noticed some people moving up in the company because of their relationships with people rather than there ability or potential to do their job well.

3 people found this review helpful

People Team

Thank you for your feedback. I’m happy to hear that you’re learning and developing in your career, and that you feel inspired by how much Pinployees believe in the mission. We’ve taken your words into consideration and will watch for the concerns that you voiced. Stay working hard and keeping Pinterest accountable! Jo, CHRO

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible place to be both challenged and happy

Jan 30, 2019 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are second to none - some of the best talent and kindest colleagues I've had in my career - Truly puts the users first in every way - ahead of the curve on just about every major issue (diversity in workforce and in product, encouraging engaged but not addicted users, etc). It's a company I feel proud of. - Work-life balance is truly a thing here in a way I haven't seen before - Benefits are really great - some of the best insurance I've ever had - The company is doing really well, and still incredibly humble and cautious

Cons

- It's grown quickly in the past few years, and growing pains are inevitable. A lot of processes changing and being put in place, a lot more "regulation", but I honestly appreciate a more cautious approach.

5. 3.0
      Former Intern

Great company, meh people

Nov 19, 2017 - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very "Pinteresty" environment, DIY, and artsy. Great for those who have a creative passion. Will have random fun events, KnitCon, and can attend studio nights taught by an employee - Lots of work to do, especially in ads and visual search. You will have a lot of impact with the work you do. - Very methodical with growth, which leads to building a better product (w/ ads) - Ben, CEO, has a great vision & direction and is very inspirational

Cons

- **Biggest gripe is the amount of people who are not passionate about the company/product. Even during a short 3 month internship, I could see a problem with some people at Pinterest. It's a bigger problem if you're working outside of Product Engineering (working on the app). If you're really passionate about the product like I was, you'll be disappointed when you start interacting with people at the company. - Little career opportunities for engineers. HR is hiring people who can do the job, rather than teaching/building engineers to do it. Not a great place to grow your career - Mentorship is very hit or miss. For interns, some get great mentors, some get bad ones who don't care for your success. - Growing pains of getting bigger. A lot of org restructuring and outside people coming in, creating more levels of management. It feels like a bigger company where you have less freedom to do things. - Food is very hit or miss, made by in-house chefs

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Sep 29, 2017 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve seen this company grow up and the leaders and team are top notch. The focus on our vision has never changed or been compromised as we’ve built the business.

Cons

We’re working on moving faster and it’s defiantly getting better. There are always growing pains but nothing out of the ordinary.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Most incredible culture - it stems from leadership that cares

Jun 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is the #1 reason to work at Pinterest. The mission is part of our every day and we are expected to live and breathe it. Experiencing the product in our lives and being Pinners ourselves helps us think about the end users and make the product better for those who make us successful. Here's what I LOVE about this culture. -Super smart, down-to-Earth, friendly people. Everyone is willing to roll up their sleeves to help one another accomplish their goals. Collaboration is key and there's a lot of cross functional work that takes place. "Knitting" with other departments is part of who we are. -Transparent leadership. Q&A with founders every Friday sets the tone for open, honest communication across the company. It makes you want to go the extra mile to help the company succeed. -Work/life balance. People not only respect that you have responsibility outside of the office but that you are a person with interests, too. It's engrained in the culture that you get out and try new things, explore the world, do what you love and be who you are in order to be the best and most productive. -Equity packages make you a true owner of the company. Your success is the company's success and it makes you work just that much harder. -Outlook for the company is strong. We are constantly compared to the Google's and Facebook's of the world and it's often hard to keep up but just being in that category given our size is a compliment. -On-staff chefs with breakfast, lunch and dinner daily at HQ. -Dog friendly: so many cute pups to play with as needed -Social company: the expectation is that you get to know your co-workers and it makes being a part of a growing organization so much fun because you get to enjoy time in and out of the office with great people.

Cons

Not many, honestly. But for sake of balanced feedback: -Growing pains. Pinterest is growing fast and there are moments where it's clear that new process is needed where it's never existed before. It's an opportunity to impact change and make things better but can also be frustrating. -You're thrown right in. Everyone is willing to help but it's really up to you to determine your path here and carve out your place. -Salaries are a tad lower than typical market value. Equity packages help make up for it but if you're in it for your base this may not be the right time to join a company of this size.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build a great company

May 22, 2017 - Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

We're building a billion-dollar business. Our user and revenue growth numbers are top-of-their class (I've read some pessimism on here, but it seems to stem from high standards - I speak as an analyst) Flexible PTO, and great perks (our chefs randomly leave treats like creme brulee and smoothies around the office) Smart people (truly best of the best) who ENGAGE every day to make Pinterest better and are genuinely nice to work with Beautiful office environment (architecture award-winning) CEO holds Q&A every Friday - and people aren't afraid to ask tough questions Thoughtful leadership team that listens, in sharp contrast to an industry often led by ego-driven extroverts Our work impacts a product LOVED by 100's of millions of users. I've never heard people speak about Instagram/Snapchat/Google with the fierce passion and love that Pinterest evokes for them

Cons

My team has experienced 3-4 re-orgs in 12 months. This reduces focus and harms productivity. We need time to stabilize Growing pains - too much tribal knowledge means it can take awhile to feel up-to-speed. Our tooling needs to catch up to our scale

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Honestly the best.

Feb 25, 2017 - Partner Marketing in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every company talks about culture but I've never seen a place so clearly embrace and live up to its culture (in a good way). People at Pinterest are some of the smartest I've ever worked with (and I've worked at top companies in Silicon Valley) and yet they are truly NICE and Pinterest-y. And there's a drive and hustle there - people stepping into different roles and wearing hats as needed to get sh*t done. Very little ego, just drive.

Cons

Nothing significant that I haven't seen much worse elsewhere. There is the inevitable political game every once in a while but far less than other companies still and of course growing pains as the company has expanded quickly. The strong culture keeps a lot of these problems in check.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Keep going!

Oct 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great perks, great people, interesting work. It doesn't just pay lip-service when it says the company wants you to grow in more than your professional development.

Cons

Pinterest is growing up from a startup to a large, established company, so there have been a few growing pains. Leadership is aware of them and actively working to address them.

1 person found this review helpful