Playworks Employee Reviews about "nonprofit"

Updated 6 Apr 2019

3.6
Playworks CEO and Founder Jill Vialet
Jill Vialet
Pros
  • "Working in fun, playful, high energy environment, school hours(in 11 reviews)

• "Playworks has a good work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, no personal time off, a lot of admin work(in 11 reviews)

• "No room for growth within the company after multiple years in the roll(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "nonprofit"

Return to all Reviews

"Great intentions, poor management and direction"

Current Employee - Program Team

I have been working at Playworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Playworks are exceptionally positive and good at heart. Most are very much behind making a difference in kids' lives who really need it. Very culture oriented (almost to a fault) and supportive of their employees.

Cons

Terrible business savvy and leadership. Cyclical budget deficits and little serious attention to sustainability. A classic example of nonprofit idealism riddled with financial ineptitude.

"Rewarding"

5.0

I worked at Playworks full-time

Pros

Playworks is fun and rewarding! I loved spending time with my coworkers every day and working together for good.

Cons

As with any nonprofit, career advancement can be tricky. There isn't always a clear path to promotion so you need to take extra steps to keep learning and growing. Playworks is working to improve this.

"Program"

1.0

I have been working at Playworks full-time

Pros

Some compassionate people who really care about making a difference Flexibility

Cons

Those in leadership make decisions based on their own self interest rather than the benefit of the organization or the children. They don't provide streamlined training of any sort making it difficult to even know if you're doing your job correctly half the time. They do not live their core values and lack empathy for their employees by not listening to those who complain that they are being harassed in their office. I am absolutely appalled that this would happen at a nonprofit claiming to care so much about people. They offer little to no growth or opportunities to advance. They don't spend the time or resources to development employees for promotions, instead make political decisions in order to appease others to make themselves look better. They use the term "playful professional" to excuse their inappropriate behaviors and extreme lack of professionalism.

Continue reading

Playworks Response

May 14, 2018Chief People Officer

We absolutely take any claim of harassment or a hostile work environment very seriously. Please reach out to me directly so that I can address the situation you are referencing here.

"Wonderful organization!"

4.0

I worked at Playworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great organization full of passionate people. There are opportunities to explore a wide variety of projects and skillsets depending on your interest. Very supportive organization with incredible people!

Cons

Very difficult to move up, opportunities are very scarce. Typical situation of the nonprofit burn out... Great company but it all becomes repetitive and the pay is lacking. The grind for money for the org is also relentless.

"Great organization with a terrific mission."

I have been working at Playworks

Pros

Working with kids and serving as a positive role model

Cons

Little flexibility for a nonprofit position

Continue reading
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.