QinetiQ US Reviews

2.7
QinetiQ US President Mary Williams
Mary Williams
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"The Best Company I Have Ever Worked For"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Lorton, VA

I have been working at QinetiQ US full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am so proud to work for a company that supports the U.S. military. The systems we create are amazing. I greatly enjoy collaborating with my teammates as they truly are some of the brightest and most kind people I have ever met. I have the perfect amount of flexibility and work-life balance. I have no plans of leaving any time soon!

Cons

I miss being in the office and spending time with my teammates but I completely understand that this is just not safe right now during the pandemic. I appreciate the measures the company has taken to keep us safe.

2. COVID-19

"Could be so much more!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Lorton, VA

I have been working at QinetiQ US full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working on advanced system for the Warfighter

Cons

No clear direction ; plenty of staff leaving without anyone knowing; Covid protocols are a joke; No clear indication of Merit Raises or Holiday Bonuses. Silence speaks louder than words, and in these cases, it’s not good for morale.

December 28, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. First and foremost, the health and wellbeing of staff is our greatest priority so your concerns about COVID-19 protocols are a serious matter and we would like to speak with you as soon as possible to explore how/where they are not being upheld or how you think they could be improved. Please contact feedback@us.qinetiq.com. In reference to notifying the entire company every time someone leaves, this is not a common or best business practice that is realistic for a company of our size. Your supervisor should surely inform you if someone on your team will no longer be with the company and if this is not happening, please inform us. In reference to merit raises and holiday bonuses, please contact your manager or HR for clarity.

3. "good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time for more than a year

Pros

thought that the work was cutting edge, and top notch

Cons

little benefits, especially compared to other companies in area

December 9, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! We agree that the work we do is very exciting, state-of-the-art, and some of the first of its kind. We take pride in this work as it ultimately aids in the protection of the American Warfighter, Security Forces, and Allies. As for benefits, as of December 2020, we have new and improved benefits! Employee satisfaction is a top priority for us and as such, we would love to hear more about how you believe we could further improve these offerings. Please feel free to reach out to feedback@us.qinetiq.com to provide further feedback.

"."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer Co-op in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time for less than a year

Pros

.good people, overall average company.

Cons

Old school unhealthy work culture

December 28, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you acknowledging the character of your colleagues. We attribute this to our core values are integrity, collaboration, and performance which permeate into every facet of our business. In reference to your listed con, we would really like more specifics on this and which aspects of the culture or business caused you to feel this way so we can make an effort to improve. We are especially surprised to receive this feedback from a former Co-op as we have a large portion of interns who decide to join us in a full-time capacity following graduation.

"Never work here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lorton, VA

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time for less than a year

Pros

there is no pros to working here

Cons

working there is a joke

December 10, 2020

Although we appreciate your feedback, this review does not give us much detail on how to improve. We are saddened to know that you did not enjoy your time with the company and invite you to please contact us at feedback@us.qinetiq.com to discuss this further. We see that you were a Software Engineer at our Lorton campus. We would really like to know where things went wrong and what you think could be improved.

6. "Terrific Company"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Project Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good team atmosphere, with supportive management. Its wonderful to have a boss that has both a sense of humor as well as a professional eye for clearing obstacles for his team. That counts for an awful lot.

Cons

Company size cuts both ways. Sometimes getting resources shifted the way they need takes time, but nobody's perfect.

December 8, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We always appreciate learning what employees enjoy about the organization and how we can improve. We are thrilled to hear that you liked and supported by your manager. Regarding your comment about company size and the shifting of resources, we would love to hear more about this and learn how we can shorten the turnaround. We invite you to contact feedback@us.qinetiq.com. Thank you!

7. COVID-19

"Still disjointed after all these years..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at QinetiQ US full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Low-level teams are often filled with smart, capable people who value rapport and teamwork. Company response to the COVID crisis, both from a health and sanitation perspective as well as a very quick embrace of remote work has been stellar! It's refreshing to see QNA taking this crisis seriously, unlike the general public. Low-level management shakeups in the recent past have turned into positives with recent hires that are less ego-driven and more willing to improve process. Software systems have been improving, with constant updates to process designed to bringing things together into a cohesive system. We've done more in the last year to improve how we digitally work together than in the last 10. Co-op and intern programs seem incredibly valuable for entry-level people, as they often get to work on multiple aspects of a project instead of just shadowing like in other companies.

Cons

Financial mismanagement means peanuts for raises and bonuses, if anything at all; even after landing landmark contracts. Maybe buying another company isn't the best idea right now if you can't financially support your staff? Reward is nearly non-existent. Misleading information about increased bonus payments last year caused an incredible strike to morale when they backtracked and tried to explain that it wasn't an increase, but a redefinition of what the bonus floor would be (Hint: it wasn't competitive). Recent employee surveys fail to show that the communication we need isn't regarding great contracts we're winning; it's about what it means for us as worker drones. "At least we aren't having layoffs" is only so valuable for people who've invested years into a company that we're constantly told is on the upswing. And when things really are going well, merit increases frequently fall below rate of inflation. Working here means actively losing money. Benefits packages are terrible, but that's more the fault of this joke of a heathcare system in the US, and not so much QNA. The relatively small size of the company means bargaining power for healthcare packages is poor. There's still a top-level ego problem that has caused one of our largest programs to be developed in one system and re-developed in another system. This appears to have increased cost in triplicate, as well as increased opportunity for human error. Inter-departmental support is also disjointed, with task delegation falling to program management, causing a scurry of "do you have resources I can use?" until things are long overdue. Staff shortages and corralling means often new employees/co-ops who haven't been trained up are left performing tasks they shouldn't be doing yet, causing a "junk in, junk out" effect. Engineering needs to take better ownership to work coming from their department before it spills into other departments. Long story short: this is a great place to start your career, but not suitable for the long-term.

December 28, 2020

Firstly, your detailed feedback and 10+ year tenure with the organization is truly appreciated! Yes, we moved exceptionally quickly to transition to remote work during this pandemic as employee health and safety is paramount. We are thrilled to hear that you appreciate the improvements to systems and processes over the past year. In reference to your concern about benefits packages, as of December 2020 we are happy to announce that we have new and improved benefits! In reference to inter-departmental support, the associated systems and processes will continue to improve over the next year. We would really like to connect with you to learn more about your ideas and invite you to contact feedback@us.qinetiq.com.

"Typical defense contractor"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time

Pros

Good experience as an intern, a way to start a career.

Cons

As a contractor they take 51% from the funding agency leaving you with the breadcrumbs.

December 28, 2020

Thank you for the feedback and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time as an intern. In reference to the listed con, we are not clear on what you mean. We invite you to contact feedback@us.qinetiq.com to provide more detail. As with every business, it is no secret that not all revenue goes directly to employee salaries as there are various costs associated with daily business operations. That being said, we take pride in offering competitive compensation to our employees.

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at QinetiQ US full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, Great talent, Passionate and dedicated team. Very collaborative environment. People are very supportive of each other.

Cons

Leadership communication is poor, Many unspoken/unwritten expectations, Very inefficient flow of work. Reactive vs. proactive culture leads to significant rush and waste of energy. People are constantly being pulled from project to project and leaving too many 80% complete tasks.

December 28, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear that your colleagues have been outstanding. In reference to communication, we have made an effort to improve this through regular townhalls, executive communications, and monthly newsletters. We want to hear what employees have to say. Our President, Mary Williams, has been having weekly small group meetings with employees for us to better get to know each other, learn what colleagues are working on, what they enjoy about the organization, and what can be improved. We would like to learn more about what you enjoy and feel could be improved at the company and invite you to contact feedback@us.qinetiq.com.

10. "Awesome technology"

Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ US full-time

Pros

Making a difference in the battlefield

Cons

Tight deadlines, contracts awards are dependent on DOD.

December 28, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! We are honored and proud to aid in the protection of the American Warfighter, Security Forces, and Allies. We innovate at pace and acknowledge that there are sometimes swift turnaround times. In reference to your advice to management, we are pursuing new opportunities which we are very excited about!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 239 English Reviews