Quicken Loans Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 19 Jan 2021

3.9
Quicken Loans CEO Jay Farner
Jay Farner
1,017 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great work environment, very motivational(in 168 reviews)

• "The company has made huge strides to continually listen to their team members and make changes accordingly(in 142 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours you usually work about 55hrs avg(in 302 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is lacking as we are expected to work 6 days a week(in 290 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Internship review"

5.0

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

1. Excellent work life balance 2. Opportunities to shadow other teams 3. Multiple events are organized for interns 4. Good technical teams 5. A lot of benefits for full-time employees

Cons

The only con of the internship program is the low internship salary rate. It does not meet the industry standards at all. No demarcation between graduate and undergraduate interns.

2. COVID-19

"ISMs and "culture" are a joke"

Former Employee - Banker

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time

Pros

Pay is good, health insurance is good, paid training. 4 weeks of PTO. Good coffee in the office. WFH during COVID.

Cons

Zero work life balance. You will work 12+ hours a day Monday through Friday and then a full 8 hour day Saturday or Sunday. They brainwash you into thinking your career at QL is more important than your kids or spouse. There is a very weird cult like environment, especially among the DMBs and RVPs. There is also tons of cold calling, which they will lie to you about during the interview process. They look for any possible excuse they can as well to either not promote you or let you internally transfer to a position in the FOC with better work life balance. One small unintentional mistake and you are toast. Also, the ISMs and the "culture" are a joke. It is a cutthroat environment where people are shamed publicly for making the slightest mistakes or not hitting their ridiculous goals. Goals are set far too high, and leadership pressures bankers into using high pressure sales tactics constantly.

Continue reading

"The most stressful job ever. You will work long hours and do 5 jobs in 1."

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With the hours worked and bonuses senior underwriters can make above 6 figures.

Cons

No work life balance. Underwriters are on the phones taking and making calls like a call center and expected to underwrite loans with no errors. Process changes are made that don’t increase productivity but make the job harder. These processes changes are put in place to cause you to make lower monthly bonuses. If you have kids or a family not the job for you because you will work long hours each day just to meet their minimum requirements. As an underwriter you are expected to answer your phone whenever it rings even if you are in the middle of underwriting a loan. You will get a ton of calls from partners daily on your loans and other team members loans as no call can go unanswered. This is the most stressful job and so many underwriters with tenure are quitting and going else where weekly. Many underwriters are going on FMLA leave or are on some type of depression medication just to cope with this job. I don’t know who is falsely rating this company but it is not a good place to work for an underwriter.

Continue reading
  4. "Great Place to Start Career"

Former Employee - Capital Markets

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time

Pros

Sounds dumb, but truly a work hard/play hard environment. Incredible place to begin your career, there are very few companies out there that you can learn so much early on in your career journey. You will work long hours, and have a great resume if you choose to move on. Vacation policy and benefits are best in class from my experience.

Cons

Work life balance, pay is below market.

"Don’t work here."

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’m able to work remotely, however, I’m overloaded and therefore chained to my desk anyway. Benefits start day 1.

Cons

Low pay. They don’t give you compensation information until two weeks into your training. Overtime, which isn’t required, but is required due to the work load and trainings required, is paid at HALF YOUR REGULAR HOURLY RATE, less than minimum wage, unless you bonus, then you get an overtime bonus of some sort. You will work no less than 60 hours/week, every week. Meetings, trainings, and call blocks are scheduled with no regard to you having a lunch break. When I inquired about this I was told I could probably grab something and eat during training since it wasn’t that interactive. There is no work/life balance here. I ignored the reviews before starting, don't make the same mistake. You are on Zoom video 12 hours a day for training, so don’t think you can be comfy, you will still have to be dressed like you are going to work and will get called out of you aren’t. Training classes are also huge and therefore slow/redundant on less important info. The really important things are slipped in at hour increments once you are already busy on the floor.

Continue reading

"You’ll have no time to enjoy your life"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very uplifting team members and opportunities to make more money than people with Masters Degrees easily

Cons

They will work you to death. Bankers constantly quit because of the terrible work life balance. Micro management on a whole other level

7. "Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quicken Loans provides world class training. They go above and beyond to make sure every employee has the tools they need to succeed in a very competitive industry.

Cons

Work life balance in the beginning can be hard to find.

8. "One of the best in the business"

Current Employee - Associate Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career advancement is endless and many opportunities to work elsewhere within the company

Cons

Work/life balance is lacking as we are expected to work 6 days a week

9. "Great Company Who Cares About Its Workers"

5.0
    Former Intern - Capital Markets Intern

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

Work life balance is great, friendly staff and co workers, great amenities and location

Cons

No downsides as an intern

10. "Work"

Former Employee - Associate Banker

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time

Pros

good people, fun culture, supportive directors

Cons

no work life balance for the first year, long hours, lots of over time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 340 Reviews