REI Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.9
REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "really respectful of work/life balance" (in 142 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance, employee focused company, great discounts on gear, overall positive culture" (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "Its just an internal marketing scheme to make it look like the actually care about your work-life balance" (in 39 reviews)

• "retail part time trap can be a dead end" (in 97 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Service and Banker
    Current Employee - Customer Service and Banker

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its great to work in a place with high values, respect and kindness from the whole team of employees and management. If you work hard and are actually interested in the company and what it stands for, you will go far. but if you treat it like a job at a fast food joint, then you won't get full time. They are great about giving you the hours and schedule you want if you work hard and take pride in your work.

Cons

Its still retail so you deal with ridiculous people that come in.

Advice to Management

Each management team is different. My management team is amazing and they truly live out REI's core values.

2. "Great Company the Values Employees and Cares Beyond Profits"

I have been working at REI part-time

Pros

Good Benefits, Work-life Balance, Flexible Schedule, Great Management Team, Integrity

Cons

Low hourly wage, Not a ton of room to grow

3. "Overall Great Place to Work"

I have been working at REI full-time

Pros

The job is fun - you're not offering products to people to do something they don't want to do, they're going outside and are excited about it, and in turn this inspires you.

The benefits are fair, although not tremendous. Great discounts on gear (an awesome thing if you're a part timer and want to get latest and greatest equipment for cheap)

They DO promote within. In my experience, opportunities have been provided due to motivation, prior experience and a good work ethic. They offer a pathway for moving up in the company if you're interested and show an aptitude for it.

The co-op's direction is inspiring and makes every employee feel like they count. This creates a real family vibe within the stores when we're working together.

Cons

Pay could be better. It IS retail, but it's a bit of a struggle sometimes. If I were stressed out here more often, I'd likely change jobs but, you're paid for stress. Don't work here expecting to get rich. I wouldn't mind seeing a company wide increase in starting wages, although that usually takes from benefits elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and driving the mission home. Just consider investing in the employees just a bit more.

4. "Great employer"

I have been working at REI full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in with great management

Cons

Sometimes it is slow and you can't meet your membership goal

5. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Great discounts and work life balance

Cons

It is still a retail job...

6. "Great Place to Work for a Short Time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at REI part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, great time off, and discounts. Many of my best friends are green vests.

Cons

A truly fantastic place to work for the first 6 months to a year. After that, you will leave work utterly frustrated every day.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your staff for suggestions to improve and departments/positions they are interested in. I worked at three different stores with three different management teams. All three stores kept me in a department where I was a leader and excelled but had no interest in. They were willing to promote me to sales lead multiple times but my schedule would not allow it and thus punished me by keeping me in customer service to slowly lose my mind. I would likely still be at REI if I were simply able to transfer departments. I was told by management that because I don't brag about my outdoor accomplishments, they had no idea I was knowledgeable. My fellow coworkers, however, knew I was one of the most knowledgeable people on staff.

7. "Truly a "Great Place To Work""

I worked at REI full-time

Pros

Awesome Benefits. Very good bonus structure.
    Excellent People that care.
    Inspiring work.

Cons

Growing pains. Missed the family feel.
    Sometimes not enough staff.
    Career Development can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to stand for what the Co-Op believes in.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at REI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, travel ideas from customers

Cons

Unable to continue to work there due to other family commitments. Fabulous place to work.

Advice to Management

Sally Jewell was fantastic as CEO.

9. "Five Years; Left as a Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I worked at REI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI is usually a fun place to work. The pace can be fast, and it’s very customer centric, so if you like that (like I did), you’ll thrive there. Part-time employees can become eligible for health care, which is nice. Some people list pro-deals (steep industry discounts) as a benefit, I feel ambivalent about them. You will meet some great people at the co-op: students, retirees, seasonal outdoor pros (guides, biologists, geologists, etc), and folks that will help you get into sports/activities you haven’t done. Never gone backpacking? Someone will definitely take you on a trip. Climb a mountain? Same-same. Many stores also have an employee gear bank, so you can gear up for a trip without first having to outfit yourself. This is the segway into the cons...

Cons

You will be broke. You will be paid peanuts, even as a manager. Until you are promoted to Store Manager, you will not be earning a living wage in most of California. You will be outfitting people who do have money. Every day. Yes, you get psyched for their adventures (I’m not a hater), and that makes you want to outfit yourself. Yes, you get sweet deals, but 50% off of a $3000 bike or kayak is still way more than you can afford to spend if you are making $13 an hour and working 30 hours per week. Also, you are in an environment designed to stimulate buying (as with all retail environments), and this will effect you as well. I have way more Nalgene bottles and t shirts than I will ever need. If you want to make the co-op a career, that will require getting promoted past Retail Sales Manager, unless you like eviction and malnourishment. Unfortunately, REI is rather opaque in terms of how you can actually do this, and 3 to 5 percent annual raises are not super awesome. There is a lot of carrot dangling and not a lot of bona fide growth.

10. "Genuine company bringing positive impact to the world. Helping people value the environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA (US)

I have been working at REI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People genuinely enjoy working here. Great work-life balance, up-to-date software development practices, smart people, with reasonable expectations.
    You're helping people value the environment by encouraging them to get outdoors.
    Dividends go towards 401k

Cons

Pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Do more all-hands.