REI Reviews

Found 2,167 of over 2K reviews

4.1
REI President and CEO Eric Artz
Eric Artz
Pros
  • "Theres also a great work life balance(in 183 reviews)

• "Great community/work environment(in 118 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not enough hours as a part time worker(in 106 reviews)

• "Poor leadership, low pay, pressure to sell memberships(in 95 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Good place to work

4 Oct 2020 - Instrumentation Engineer in Chennai
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work environment is good, senior people are very comfortable

Cons

There are completely no cons

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great work culture

1 May 2020 - Marketing Operations in Ahmedabad
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture and environment

Cons

Company comes under plastic industry

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

You will be gaslit

14 May 2021 - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people that they hire are mostly excellent-- Great, friendly people, hard workers and very knowledgable. They also have benefits for the uninsured as long as you work 20+ for six months. Shoppers are mostly very friendly.

Cons

REI would have you believe that it's a great place to work because they will tell you that all the time. You will do well there if you sell memberships-- that is the only way to be successful there. You will be told that selling membership is not the most important part of working at REI, but it really is the only metric that management uses to rate your performance. You will also have to "drink the koolaid" to have management notice you. They want you to be "authentic" but what they mean is unrealistically enthusiastic all the time. It's almost a cult-like atmosphere, which they rely on to pay you the bare minimum. If it wasn't for the healthcare, I would not have been there as long as I was. They will also tell you that they value a "work life balance" but there's no way to do it on pay that low. I was actually outside less when I worked there because I didn't have the opportunity financially. I also noticed a drop in benefits and discounts the longer I worked there.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful part-time fun job

27 May 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Berkeley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, you will make lots of friends with interesting and knowledgeable people and interact with mostly friendly customers going on cool adventures, work is fun, lots of discounted gear at your disposal which will motivate you to go outdoors (but also keep you from saving much money), I had a wonderful direct manager

Cons

Not compensated enough to afford Bay Area cost of living, must have some sort of special or creative living situation to make a job like this work

5. 4.0

Fun and inclusive environment

13 Jun 2021 - Retail Sales Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at REI. All of my coworkers and management staff are really positive and passionate about the outdoors and the mission of the company. They offer benefits to part-time workers who average more than 20 hours per week for a year, which has worked out very well for my current situation. Management has been very empathetic and compassionate about any and all personal situations. They did a fantastic job taking care of their employees during COVID. REI values diversity and inclusivity and truly listens to employees' concerns.

Cons

A part-time job at REI is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to gain experience in a fantastic retail environment, but opportunities for advancement are scarce. Scheduling for part-time employees can be unpredictable during slow seasons.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fine company, poor scheduling practices, wages not competitive with other retailers

8 Apr 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good discounts on gear, enjoyable work

Cons

Low wages compared to other retailers like Target. Requires high degree of product knowledge and customer service/sales skills. Compensation does not match this level of skill requirement. Be prepared to lose hours after big sales and holidays.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work but some improvements:

12 May 2021 - Sales Specialist in San Carlos, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, interesting, outgoing and kind employees to work with. Good benefits/401K/Medical. Relatively low stress, friendly supportive, team environment of all ages, gender and ethnicities. Customers are usually considerate and interesting. Very physical work. Nice to not be sitting behind a desk that keeps me active and in shape. Social opportunities to do outdoor activities with friends made at work.

Cons

Very low pay and narrow pay range. Must become a sales lead/manager to make more which does not approach a living wage in the Bay Area. Very physical work as on feet all day which can be exhausting. Only given a weeks notice of future schedule which makes life/family obligations difficult to juggle.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

Sell memberships

26 Apr 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, coworkers and management are likable, good company to work for as far as benefits, pro ,ect.

Cons

Forget getting to know your customers and what adventures they may be hearing up for, all the managers want to know is if they are a member. If they aren't a member you better get a slip with info into their hands. I feel like a pushy used car salesman and hate it. Also REI is very progressive, which can be good, but often feels like an overstep. I don't like mixing politics with work.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

17 Jun 2021 - Sales Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Compensation Management Support Work life balance Activities Training

Cons

Retail schedule Weekends Staff turnover Pay is good for retail but could be better

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Healthiest work environment I've ever been a part of

2 May 2021 - Sales Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers feel more like family than anything else. Everyone is there to build each other up. Outdoor excursions with the store are commonplace (camping and backpacking trips, climbing, skiing, fishing, biking, you name it). A vast majority of the time, if you request time off, it gets approved, though requesting on holidays and sale weekends may require more planning in advance. Paid time off builds up quickly, but you can always ask for unpaid time off. Additionally, discounts are great, pay is competitive, benefits are great (401K matching, affordable health insurance). REI has treated me well, so much so that I plan on making a career of it. I am currently training for endorsement for becoming a manager.

Cons

It can be hard to move into the corporate realm of REI. From what I understand, you would need to be a manager at a store before moving up any further.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,167 Reviews