RSI Employee Reviews about "hard working"

Updated 30 Jan 2019

3.3
RSI President  Chris Barlow
Chris Barlow
Pros
  • "RSI always treated me well, from the first day I was surprised at how much autonomy and respect my supervisor gave me(in 17 reviews)

• "For strong minded, hard working individuals, this is where you want to start your career(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the technology that RSI uses is kind of old (for example we were still using Embarcadero in 2018)(in 15 reviews)

• "The biggest con is work-life balance(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hard working"

Return to all Reviews

"Some Opportunities, but No Work-Life Balance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Roseville, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at RSI full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1) This is a good place to start for new grads (which I did). It can be hard to find employers who will hire new grads with little or no job experience. RSI does this a lot. There is some training available, dependent very much on which manager and team leads you end up working with. Compensation for new grads is better than average, in my experience. Do expect to be a self-starter and be proactive about solving problems and getting your work done. If you are willing to step up, be professional and responsible, work hard and get the job done, this can be a good place to start off your career. 2) I always felt very fairly compensated for my work. Many people complained that compensation was low, but I just never felt that way. I suspect the complainers were comparing to silicone valley or ‘average’ California salaries, which does not take into account the actual cost of living in the Sacramento area. I was always satisfied with my pay, benefits, bonuses, and raises. 3) The employees are all hard-working, talented, and want to do a good job. In general, there’s not much of a social scene, so if you’re looking for a job where you’ll meet people that you hang out with after work, there’s not a lot of that going on (at least in the office where I worked - that could be different at other locations). But the people are generally friendly and pleasant to work with. 4) RSI can be a very good place if you want flexibility in your career. The HR staff is committed to fitting people with talent into the roles where that talent can be utilized. Internal promotions and transitions are welcomed, so if you see a job opening in the company that you’d rather be doing than your current job, the transition may be very fast and easy. There are also opportunities in locations across the USA, so if you have a desire to relocate and still want to keep your job, that may well be possible.

Cons

1) The biggest con is work-life balance. Quite frankly, I’m not sure that upper management realizes how bad it is. There’s a lot of corporate talk about positive work-life balance, and maybe it’s fine at the Pembroke office, but most other locations it’s pretty bad. Over the years that I worked for RSI, I saw the work-life balance really deteriorate. It used to be that you’d have crunch times - working 60 hrs a week or more to get the job done - and then you’d have down times in between where you could recover, go home at 5pm, schedule your doctor’s appointments, and even take some extra days off. Over time it just got worse and worse until it was basically perpetual crunch-time for years on end. In my experience, the average condition is overworked and burnt-out for any RSI employees that have been there more than a year or so. I actually had one of my managers say this to me: “You won’t want to work here anymore when you have a family. This is not a family-friendly place to work. I have to justify to my boss when I am NOT available on Saturday. I have to apologize and let him know in advance that I’m not available on the weekend because it’s my son’s birthday. It’s expected that I will work every weekend, unless there is some extenuating circumstance.” 2) Hard work is under-appreciated. The reviews that say ‘suck it up, buttercup’, are exactly on-point. Now, I understand you have to do what it takes to get the job done. That is life. That is called “having a job”. I was often one of the longer-working employees in the office. Delivering results is important to me, and many times I even under-reported my hours, due to pressure to “get the job done faster”. I never missed a deadline. I worked hard and I got the job done. If you don’t, you won’t last long at RSI. But then again, you probably won’t last long anywhere IMO, so I don’t necessarily see that as a problem. But I will also add that there is little recognition or appreciation for the hard work that most employees are doing every day. In a company where everyone works 50-60 hours a week, you can only stand out as an ‘exceptional’ employee if you work 100 hours a week, which is pretty ridiculous. While I can’t say that I got nothing for all my work - I received positive annual reviews, got promoted, and received raises and bonuses - but there was little or nothing on a day-to-day basis in appreciation or recognition of any of the work that I did. I received little thanks and almost no other recognition or appreciation. If you are the sort of person who needs external feedback to let you know that you’re doing a good job, this is not the place for you (unless you are fortunate enough to get placed under one of the 2 or 3 truly excellent managers in the company - but the odds are not good). 3) For a technology company, what they are providing is fairly behind-the-times. Do not expect to work on any late-breaking or cutting-edge technology here. Part of this is to be expected, because of the client-base that RSI is serving. These type of clients are never going to be able to handle cutting-edge technology, so you have to reach them where they’re at. And because these clients are often very slow to accept and adopt change, that puts RSI at a disadvantage in technology, because they are limited by what their clients will actually purchase. I do believe that RSI and its management would like to innovate, but in my experience, that innovation is very slow in coming. I’ve always suspected that because RSI’s clients are so bureaucratic and slow, that RSI sees itself as fast-paced and forward-thinking by comparison. By comparison to their clients - RSI moves at the speed of light! By comparison to other technology companies, however, progress and innovation are slow in coming. In technology decisions and planning, RSI is often directed by (and limited to) client requests, rather than forward-thinking ideas about what will actually make a better, more stable, more usable, more maintainable product overall. In my experience, employees who are most passionate about change, innovation, and long-term technology improvement often get frustrated by their inability to effect change or make any headway, and often end of leaving within 2 years. In the technical realm, I do think that staying at RSI for so long was a detriment to me in my career. It was difficult to find other jobs I was qualified for, since I had little or not experience in the technologies that most other companies are using.

RSI Response

March 5, 2019President/CEO

Thank you for making time in your day to write such an extensive review of working at RSI and thank you for your 10 years of contributing to our success and the success of our clients. You have provided an overview of working at RSI that many of our employees do experience, from starting your career on our team as a new college graduate, to joining other great employees who are self-starters and proactive about solving problems, and then contributing to developing solutions and implementing our solutions for our customers. We have some exciting recent developments as we focus on innovation (one of our recently defined core values, discussed below) and look forward to sharing those ongoing developments with our employees with our clients. We have refocused our commitment to our Core Values of customer commitment, caring about people, integrity, responsibility, and innovation. As a company, we are embedding these values in our everyday lives as well as in our individual goals. You bring up valid points, including items that RSI’s newly formed PMO team is working on improving, including establishing more accurate project plan estimates, as well as taking into account feedback from our teams. We acknowledge little things make a difference and RSI is working on expanding our mentoring and training capabilities to provide support to not only the middle managers, but everyone at RSI. RSI’s HR team is defining a “360 degree” feedback mechanism for all employees, especially managers, to gain the insights you suggest. Finally, I believe the “work-life balance” is something that will recalibrate once RSI implements some of the changes mentioned above. I thank you for your many years of contributions to RSI projects and success and wish you the best in your new role.

"Not for the Weak Minded, 'We are entitled to being spoon fed everything' type of individuals."

4.0
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Providence, RI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at RSI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For strong minded, hard working individuals, this is where you want to start your career. If you are looking to challenge yourself, learn independently and tackle new problems on your own terms, this is the place for you. During my time here i've heard countless complaints from lazy , overly dependent , incompetent individuals that complain about this organization and how it is run. If you are legitimately looking to progress as a strong, creative and self sufficient individual, this is the place for you. However, if you are the type that doesn't strive to learn and progress on your own terms, you are too weak minded for this organization. From a personal standpoint, I owe this organization a ton of appreciation and credit for helping me progress to the strong professional and individual that I am today.

Cons

(for weak minded individuals ) not being given enough guidance on approaches to solving problems.

Continue reading

"Good Company - Heart is in the Right Place"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at RSI full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been reading the reviews on here and its hard not to be a little defensive over the one sided feedback. I really do think that the owners and executives care about their employees. I also think they want to do right by the employees and be as fair as possible. I do not agree that there is a sweatshop mentality at RSI. This is a professional consulting firm - salaried employees do not earn overtime, nor would they in any other professional organization as an exempt employee. Hard work is rewarded BUT (and this is for the CON section) it is reliant on your manager to 'spread the word' up the chain in order to be acknowledged and rewarded. I personally have been rewarded well over the years for hard work and my raise has been comparable to the market - which also isn't good but is fair.

Cons

You are only as good as your manager. What I mean by this is that there are good managers and bad managers. Some are good at delivery but bad with people and vice versa. I assume this is the same at most companies. Where RSI lacks is taking responsibility to do something about bad managers. Instead, they send out weekly "leadership" training emails. There is no face to face training on being a good/better manager. I have been to one in the last 5 years. I expect most of the reviews on here that are negative, are written by people who had a bad manager at RSI and thus a bad experience. RSI leadership takes far too long to make decisions and changes in the company. Issues are tossed back and forth like a ping pong match with no resolution/outcome. This is the most frustrating part about working at RSI. Slow lead time for progress. The owners are so over the top analytical and focused on the details that they practically miss the big picture. Due to this, they spend more time putting out fires rather than preventing them. Long after a project is in a bad place with the client, does leadership step in and then its all hands on deck and none of them are watching the rest of the company - they're too busy putting all their men on the one fire hose. I also think the company is very disconnected and inefficient. Due to lack of communication I imagine there is duplicate efforts across the company at various project sites. Rarely is the time taken to talk to someone else that may have done the same thing. There is a lot of "figure it out" for yourself mentality. Internal IT help desk is non-existent. Employees are expected to solve their own IT issues since they have a technical background. I find this unacceptable. Internal technology is lacking. Phone system has never worked properly.

Continue reading

"Great company that wants you to succeed"

5.0

I have been working at RSI full-time

Pros

The CEO and VPs are all down to earth and approachable. They know me by name and know the work that I do. They appreciate the employees and recognize that they would not be a successful company without them. The employees are awesome, I feel so lucky that I get to work with talented, fun people! My manager is great, and always takes the time to help me when I need it. I have helped move a lot of projects to completion and am recognized for my hard work.

Cons

At this time, I have no cons.

RSI Response

December 5, 2014COO/CFO

Thanks for the review! And you're right. We would not be a successful company without you...

5. "Decent Company"

I worked at RSI

Pros

Flexible work schedule, easy commute, fast growth opportunities, rewards for hard work and productivity

Cons

Must be technical to survive, a significant number of managers to report to.

"Buyer Beware"

2.0
    Consultant

I have been working at RSI

Pros

Hard working personnel Some of the best tax and revenue experts in the country

Cons

Senior Management is very much detached from the rest of the company Founders of the company do not bother to reach out to the employees. They tout themselves as a small, intimate company yet are nowhere to be found. Do not join this company if you think you are going to be part of a tight knit group. Only tight knit groups you will find is on your project, and that's only if you get a manager who cares and is outgoing, and tries to keep you informed of what's going on. Benefits are weak. They say they provide profit sharing, but its weak at best (i.e. lean to begin with when it even kicks in). No spousal or family benefits (including healthcare, parental leave). Medical plan for a single employee is not always covered in full. Think of this as a little big-5 consulting firm, as that's where the founders and senior managers all came from. Nothing different here except its smaller, with smaller upside, more work, less formal processes in place, and people running around doing 20 different things at once. Recruiters are very good selling prospects, but by the time you realize there was a bait and switch they are long gone and you are stuck.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

</>Embed