Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

3.3
Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency CEO Kristin Carroll
Kristin Carroll
Pros
  • "I feel like Glassdoor hasn't painted a fair picture of Rescue, so here's my personal experience on being a(in 13 reviews)

• "Flexible work/life schedule, weekly check-ins make you feel apart of the in-office team(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Morale is bad based on the workload though management communicates they want a work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "upper management reeks of corporate profit and self-interest(in 8 reviews)

1. "Disabled and ignored"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency part-time

Pros

You’re working to create change

Cons

The job posting was much different than the actual job—so much so that I felt lied to. I would HIGHLY caution anyone with a disability to work here—I had a disability and was asked to resign because they were unwilling to accommodate. (Not unable, unwilling). I would’ve looked into my legal rights if I could but my disability made it incredibly difficult to pursue any legal action and they knew that. I felt totally taken advantage of. They claim to be a great work environment but that’s only for their able-bodied employees. If you’re disabled they’ll leave you in the dust. This is a clear, systemic problem in the organization.

2. COVID-19

"Cares About Employees"

5.0
    Current Employee - Event Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

- AMAZING benefits including 401k match, 2+ weeks paid vacation, 1 week paid sick time, free short term disability & life insurance, flexible work schedules, remote work, & more - During the national pandemic (COVID-19) they provided employees with a $1300 stipend and also covered 100% of our health insurance for two months during the crisis. - They provide yearly Christmas bonuses & performance based bonuses; there is a lot of room for growth

Cons

- Communication can sometimes be difficult since there are so many employees in so many locations - If you are not located at the home office in San Diego, it can be a little more challenging to have your work and efforts noticed by upper management

Continue reading
  3. "Rescue is an employer who cares about their clients, community and employees."

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor

Pros

The work is rewarding; team members are invested in what we do; the company takes care of their employees.

Cons

As a remote employee working with a majority of colleagues in California, it sometimes feels isolating; the nature of the business is often challenging because we need to work within government budget limitations and timelines; as with most organizations who need to evolve as their industry and business landscape changes, there are frequent organizational & process changes.

May 21, 2020Sr. HR Manager

People and purpose are the reasons why we love being a part of Rescue! We're hoping the switch to a remote environment for all staff and increased engagement efforts have helped alleviate some the feelings of isolation for you! If not, please come chat with us so we can figure out how to help.

4. "Toxic Leadership, Cancerous Culture"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Free snacks - Can't think of a second thing, but the form requires entering at least 5 words

Cons

- Incompetent leadership - Lack of accountability - Toxic office culture - Below industry level pay with excessive hours - Bigot clients

June 1, 2020Sr. HR Manager

We do not tolerate bigotry in any form, and this is the first time we are learning of this. Although you are no longer a Change Agent with Rescue, change can still happen; please reach out to careers@rescueagency.com so we can have start a discussion into this experience.

5. "Toxic Leadership, Cancerous Culture"

Former Employee - Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Free Snacks - On-Site Parking

Cons

- Incompetent Leadership - Below Industry Average Pay - Excessive Hours - Lack of Accountability - Favoritism - Close-Minded Community Members

June 1, 2020Sr. HR Manager

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at Rescue was not a happy one. If you're open and willing to share, we would love to hear your feedback directly to see what we can do moving forward: careers@rescueagency.com.

"Experience here depends on your team, upper management isn't transparent"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say

Pros

The people here are great. The office location is great since we don't have to deal with downtown parking or drive to UTC. If you have a good supervisor and team, you will have a good experience for the most part.

Cons

The benefits, perks and pay: Pay is pretty bad and the vacation days are awful (10 days accrued, and you don't get more days as you gain seniority, and 5 sick days). Time tracking and client billing is strict and stressful. All of the departments operate differently, some with more benefits than others. Working from home is an option if needed but it's rarely encouraged. More WFH days would be nice.

November 15, 2019Sr. HR Manager

Thank you for your contributions to Rescue thus far! We are constantly reviewing and re-evaluating our benefit offerings to employees, and we will take this feedback into consideration. Stay tuned for changes to our total rewards package!

"Unicorn Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time

Pros

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't painted a fair picture of Rescue, so here's my personal experience on being a Rescue team member. I absolutely love working here. Why? -Senior Leadership: They are the smartest, most proactive, and kindest leaders. Whenever big changes are coming, they are communicative and can/want to spot problems in order to make them better. They foster an environment of trust. -Coworkers: The culture is incredibly supportive, and it's clear we move in one forward direction together. My coworkers are bright, talented, and awesome to work with. I've never met anyone here who wasn't willing to lend a helping hand. -Departmental Collaboration: Team work is crucial in agency settings, and while it was a WIP when I first started, there have been major improvements with interdepartmental collaborations. There is a process for everything, clear cut responsibilities for each and every role, and systems that make everything easy to find. I can honestly say that EVERY team is a beast - from Client Services to Media & Strategy to Research to Creative to Ops, etc... and we've gotten better at communicating together. -Benefits: There are tons of perks that foster healthy behavior, like free fruit, lunches, company events. With flex schedules and remote privileges as needed, I feel like I have true work-life balance, which is a highly-coveted trait to have at an agency. Health insurance package is the best I've seen to date. -Vibe: So. Much. Positivity. It is contagious. I love the weekly Monday huddles because it keeps us all up to date with what the company is doing as a whole, the awards we're winning, and people giving out individual kudos! The Rescue kool aid is easy to drink because things are generally going so well.

Cons

-Not so much a con but if you're looking to work at Rescue, autonomy is strong here. Be prepared to fly and learn the job quickly. -Your experience will be different depending on what projects or teams you're staffed on. Sometimes clients are tough, sometimes tasks are menial, sometimes tasks are difficult. But everything still feels manageable. -Some weeks can be very busy and some are slow. It comes in waves. I've found that the slow periods give people a chance to breathe after intense periods.

August 13, 2019Sr. HR Manager

Thank you for providing such positive and candid feedback! We appreciate you and all the hard work you're doing in support of creating healthier communities. So grateful to have REX culture champions like you leading the way!

"Great Flexible, Nonexistent Diversity"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

The greatest benefit this place offers is flexibility, to complete your hours, whenever you choose, and does work to accommodate your schedule. I would also note, that I got to try out different strategies in particular, managing different personalities in order to get work done.

Cons

A discriminatory comment was made regarding age with is protected under the federal law, and HR was incompetent to do anything about it. So politics plays a big part. There is a lot of kissing the backside of upper management, which I had to laugh at constantly. Also, you have to dumb down yourself to accommodate others, who may not know how to improve processes, because they haven't had exposure to outside companies. Much of the staff was hired right out of college, so this is all they know. My advice: get your experience and the title, and keep your resume up-to-date in preparation of your exit, as I did.

September 3, 2019Sr. HR Manager

Rescue is a EEO/Minority/Female/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer. As a company built on serving a wide range of communities, diversity is at our core and key to who we are. Our hiring, promotion, and development practices for our employees are based on merit and contribution to our work. We take allegations of discrimination seriously, and this is the first time this issue has been brought to HR's attention. Had this been immediately discussed with the HR team, we would have taken action immediately.

"Don’t Be Fooled by the “Perks.” Don’t Kid Yourself."

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

+decent starting pay for young people. For more advanced folks, look elsewhere. Your skills deserve better. +insurance? I guess. +passionate and hardworking coworkers. +flexible work schedule

Cons

-disorganization -upper management reeks of corporate profit and self-interest -asking questions is a sign of incompetence -laughable 401K match -no job descriptions for some positions. Even after months, I couldn’t explain my job. In other words, there’s a lack of cohesion when it comes to some job positions and what their purpose is. -flex time is code for: you can do whatever you want for a couple of hours, but you’ll inevitably be back to work to put out a completely preventable fire anyway. -stressful and fast project turnaround that is the result of poor communication and organization. -no job growth or career trajectory.

August 2, 2019Sr. HR Manager

The employee experience continues to be our priority, and we're sorry to hear that your experience was negative. We wish we had an opportunity to remedy this during your time at Rescue. Rescue has been a certified B Corp since 2014. In order to qualify, we must meet rigorous standards in the areas of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Being part of this select group of for-profit companies means that we are joining a pact of leaders in using business as a force for good, which aligns with our overall mission.

"Great Job! Poor leadership."

Former Employee - Market Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rescue | The Behavior Change Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility Positive impact in the community

Cons

Pay for workload No growth Opportunites High expectations with limited resources

June 5, 2019Sr. HR Manager

We agree that the work is meaningful and flexible, and we want to ensure that all our team members are supported. Please feel free to reach out to HR with any suggestions for improvement to make your job easier; we would love to hear from you!

Found 61 reviews