Revel Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Betts

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation, snacks, free lunch (in 27 reviews)

• Great team building and great morale due to the growth of the company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining a good work life balance is on you (in 18 reviews)

• It's long hours and to be good you have to work hard over these (in 18 reviews)

"Out Of Touch and Out of Depth CEO"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Revel has an amazing culture of hardworking and driven people. Revel also has great perks like free snacks, free gym membership, and all the other excellent perks you’d expect from a San Francisco start up. The people, the product, and the company is hands down the best place I’ve ever worked at.

Cons

The main obstacle to keeping the momentum to IPO and taking the company to the next level is the Out of Touch and Out of Depth new CEO who assumed a leadership position recently. I agree with the other reviews on this site that were recently posted and am seriously concerned his leadership style is polluting our wonderful environment with poorly timed negativity and fear that he’s injecting in on a daily basis.

The CEO is out of touch because he completely disassociates from the employees. He does not say a single word to anyone and walks around ignoring people like we are not even here. That is if he’s actually in the office (he only works 3 to 4 days a week) maybe he goes golfing or rides his motorcycle.

The truth is even when the guy is actually in the office he’s not really there, that is to say he’s not interacting with the other humans who actually put in the hard work to make the company what it is today.

Advice to Management

The CEO is completely out of his depth in running this technology company, I don’t think he’d ever used an Apple product prior to joining the company. He doesn’t even have a LinkedIN profile. How are you going to take a technology company to the next level if you barely can use new technology yourself?

I’ve heard countless people come to me with these exact same concerns and I wanted to add my voice to these glass door reviews so that our investors take this seriously and do something before it’s too late.

If I were the folks at Welsh Carson, I’d reconsider the decision of CEO and protect my investment. There are far better options readily available as the other reviews mentioned.

2. "Great people, great product, blow through talent"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing product, amazing coworkers, pay is on par with other companies. If you work hard you can make good money.

Cons

They're working on it but Revel does not properly groom talent and the month-to-month quotas cause many talent individuals to get the axe.

Very much a grind and sink or swim environment unless you're lucky to have a manager with a big book of business. I know the common sales philosophy "no excuses", ''do better" but who you get as a manager can make the difference between a short stay at Revel or making an extra 30K more than your peers.

Also, like many sales organizations, mgmt only cares about numbers not the happiness of their employees or the fairness of sales practices.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the numbers and hire better managers.

"Don't Fall For It"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free lunch and snacks
    -Some genuinely nice people
    -Office location

Cons

-Company culture is garbage (run like a college fraternity and the office is loud)
    -Minimal product training
    -Inconsistencies with management
    -Overall unprofessionalism can be displayed throughout the whole company
    -Though a career path is described, there is no proof that it is consistently followed
    -This company does not care about their customer's needs, only worried about the initial sale and not retaining customer relationships

Advice to Management

Find candidates that are a good fit for the company and you want to invest in their career. Warm body syndrome is not a solution and the high amount of turnover that occurs will keep hurting your company in the end.

"New CEO"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel is an amazing place to work at. The compensation is way above average and the culture before the beginning of the year was amazing. The sales team's mentality and drive is infrxtious and it's all thanks to the current COO, who built the Sales Team from ground up. He is the reason why many folks stuck around through the uncertain days.

Cons

Ever since the new CEO has come aboard the company a lot has changed for the bad. First of he walks around snooping on people's computers and never speaks to anyone. Employees feel as if there is no clear direction and how can we trust a new "leader" that refuses to speak to you or even acknowledges your mere existence. He has absolutely no knowledge of the industry we are in and therefore the sense of direction of the company has gotten lost. He initially came onboard and promised a lot of transparency and positive changes. So far we have seen zero positive changes and absolutely no transparency at all. In fact I feel as if everything is more hush hush. I just don't understand why the new investors would bring in someone back from retirement to lead a new age company instead of promoting the COO, who built Revel and nurtured it to what it has become now.

Advice to Management

My advice is to appoint the COO as the CEO as he is the one that knows the company and has driven the growth. . Another advice is to get rid of the current CEO before Revel's winning culture completely fades away. He is not fit for this industry nor Revel in general.

"It All Starts at the Top"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

There are many pros to being part of Revel. The product and people come to mind first, and then the location and generous perks such as free lunch, Friday happy hours and other snacktivities.

Cons

There's a newly appointed CEO and like anything else in life, it all starts at the top.
    There's a new sherif in town, much different than before, and the fun has left the building. What I'm referring to is how the mood around the office has shifted, dramatically, suddenly, like an earthquake that came out of nowhere.

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and a decent person, but you wouldn't know it by working in the same office with him. He demeanor is standoffish, unfriendly and downright cold. I'm concerned about what's going to happen around here, and what future holds because this place which was once super fun to come to work to everyday, may soon become the place you dread to be. It's like he's either knowingly or unknowingly sucking the life out of this place.

The gentleman doesn't:
    Smile
    Laugh
    Talk
    Reach Out
    Engage
    Offer gestures of kindness

Why? I don't know. Maybe it's simply because he's from a very different time and place. (I think he's around 70). There's nothing wrong with being much older, and I don't discriminate against age or anything else. Being older means you have experience, however times change and things aren't always accomplished in the same ways throughout time. The experience one has isn't always applicable in all environments and that's where I'll circle back to the change that's been taking place. The environment! It all starts at the top and the top is changing the environment.

Advice to Management

This company needs a more embracing, giving, and modern leader to quickly take over the reins. Revel needs a new leader as soon as possible that is more adept with the ins and outs of how technology companies work. Please help! There are many employees that have already left, and many more valuable ones will follow suit if he remains. I humbly request our kind investors to please take these posts seriously and to replace the current CEO with one better suited for Revel.

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Revel is a fast pace and growing company. Leadership really listens to your idea's and allows you to grow as an employee. If you have drive and a desire to grow in your career and challenge yourself Revel is the place for you.

Cons

The company is heavy in sales and the culture tends to feel like a frat house. Many employees are right out of college and the turn around is fast. If your looking for a place to settle down in a great position I don't think this would be the place to do that.

Advice to Management

Work on the culture if you want to find good people that stick.

"CEO Disruption - not the good disruption.."

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry leading product is always nice to represent :)

Free food/drinks/coffee in the kitchen and credits towards GrubHub

Bagel Fridays and Happy Hours bring all departments together

Cons

The new CEO's focus on profitability has taken priority over getting to know his team. Not only does he walk by employees without smiling or greeting them, but has yet to visit other offices.

The new CEO's lacking aptitude for technology is clearly evident. His highly analytical approach may not be the best in Silicon Valley considering that is an area surrounded by innovation.

The new CEO has already changed all the values this company was founded upon.

Office can certainly use an upgrade. The carpets feel like they are from the 90's and the amenities are in rough shape.

The transition from Unlimited PTO to earned PTO was an absolute disaster. The company did not prepare any of us for this and led to planned vacations putting us in the negative. The transition was not delivered effectively from the start and created a lot of turmoil across the company.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. He is not programmed for a leading POS company and has not demonstrated the ability to interact with the employees of Revel.

HR needs to be advocates for all employees and take less of a business approach.

"Don't Believe The Hype"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch and Snacks, Gym subsidy, Nice location (though it's moving),

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes, though necessary, they have lost very talented people along the way. Retaining talent and being loyal to devoted employees doesn't seem to be a concern, so it tends to be a revolving door. New CEO barely says hi to anyone and has little to no interest changing. It's a typical tech-startup atmosphere, but the focus on drinking leads to inappropriate behavior, which is all around embarrassing. Smart people have left or been let go during the reorganization of the company, which makes it a very unstable place. The values aren't followed and likely there for show, so avoid unless your choices are limited.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and live the values you have printed out all over the office. You will continue to lose smart people if things keep up the way they are.

10. "Great Place with great people"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, full snack bar, catered lunches, happy hours.

Cons

Pay is below market (substantially i may add), under staffed.

Advice to Management

Continue opening up with company's goals, status and promote deserving employees (especially salary wise)

"Last comment about the new so called "Leader""

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

-An amazing group of hard working people that have one unique goal, writing history by being successful and taking the company to an IPO.
    -All the perks that the company offers from free lunches and dinners to gym subsidy to all the free snacks and more, even though this is a standard in the Silicon Valley but it's something good to have at Revel.

Cons

I want to confirm what was posted last time, most of us, the Revelers have seen the light at the end of the tunnel when we heard about the change earlier this year. Everyone hoped for the next leader to be a true leader that can take this company to the level that we all wished for, yet we have seen the worst days that Revel has ever been through. We all wanted to see a leader that cares, someone that can be close to these hard working people and to be their new mentor BUT what we have is someone who doesn't even respect his employees. The man walks like we don't even exist, for the last three months or so that he has been "working" (barely as he still thinks that he is enjoying his retirement and works 3-4 days a week), the guy doesn't even talk to anyone. You meet him in the kitchen and you try to even say hi but he ignores you and simply passes next to you, maybe he has a lot of experience but let's welcome him to the 21st century and more importantly to the "heart of Silicon Valley". This style of management could've been good twenty years ago but not nowadays, a true leader is someone who works as hard as possible to gain the trust of his or her team, our current so called "leader" is making us lose faith and simply look for a quick exit.

Advice to Management

-Advice to the current CEO: you are not the right fit, bizarre to say it but true. It is too late to even try to salvage the damage you have already caused. No one trusts you and if you try it will be so fake. Saying hi and talking to your employees doesn't cost you any money, you walk by us ignoring our existence. Since you came in, you sent ONE email to us, how would you want us to even care if you don't care about us.

-Advice to the board: you have made a mistake that can cost you to lose your big investment, why would you bring in someone with no experience is managing startups? this venture needs someone hungry for success, someone who cares about his future, his career and not someone who won't lose much if this place runs to the ground the next day. I agree with the last person, being here for over a year, all the staff see that the current COO would be the right person to lead us. This is a good indicator that we are all on his side and we support him, he says hi to me and everyone in my team when he sees us on the floor, enough for me to like him more, pathetic but true.