SGN Reviews

Updated 7 Jun 2021

3.4
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very long hours especially in the winter(in 10 reviews)

• "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horley SGN

7 Jun 2021 - Network Planning and Analysis in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team! The people make the place - especially the managers of the Third-party connections

Cons

Not ideal for a career - Unless you specialise in the field

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Good as a starting job but not a good long term employer

12 Apr 2021 - Network Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Good rate of pay *SGN helps graduates with minimal working experience and gives them an opportunity to gain industry skills and knowledge

Cons

(SGN are currently going through major changes which has resulted in many dissatisfied people. I would have rated SGN 4 star 2 years ago) *Too much work and not enough employees (they have advised they will not be employee new staff) *Very stressful working environment and asking for help does not resolve issue as there is no one to help with workload. *There is a Policy for temps to be made permanent after 3 year. This is not implemented. *HR does not give anyone the time of day and will ignore your emails and questions. *There is 2 main contracts in SGN (old and new employees) the difference between these contracts are very significant

Employee Experience Coordinator

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We’re pleased to hear you’re satisfied with your compensation package and the training opportunities we provide. While we appreciate change can be daunting and sometimes unwelcome, it’s often necessary to ensure we can continue to deliver a great service to our customers and a bright future for our network. We hope colleagues can embrace the changes currently underway and welcome the opportunities that come with them. The wellbeing of our people is our absolute priority so if you feel your workload is unmanageable, please highlight this with your manager to set out achievable priorities. While it’s a common misconception, our policy for agency staff states that after 3 years, the decision to move agency staff to permanent is a consideration and not automatic. The decision to make an employee permanent will always be based around our business requirements. It’s been a busy year for all our people, in particular colleagues in the HR department who have been working tirelessly to help support our colleagues working at home, in the field, and in offices. If you’d like to share feedback about your experience with HR you can contact me confidentially at Duncan.Botham@sgn.co.uk. Many thanks, and hope you continue to keep safe and well.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Cuts are coming

1 Apr 2021 - FCO in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay (at the moment)

Cons

Not any opportunity for progression unless you're friends with management or family. (Family members seem to progress much quicker than others) Rota has changed to allow maximum of 16 hours working which is a plus. Constant changes to rotas doest allow myself or my family to make arrangements for childcare or to plan my life outside of work. Overtime is slowly being killed. Few years time will probably be none existent. Therefore pay will go down. Can see SGN making Saturday a normal day so no uplift. Multiple shift times which is meant to be for fatigue reasons. But how is my body meant to adjust to 6 different shift start times. If anything I'll be more fatigued. I can't just sleep when I tell my body too unfortunately. Its all money saving tactics. Engineer morale is low. Communication is poor. Wouldnt be surprised if they try british gas tactics and threaten fire and rehire. SGN good days are over sadly.

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your honest feedback. We’re pleased to hear you’re satisfied with our compensation package and concerned by some of your comments about progression. We understand job progression in some areas can be quite limited and it's not always possible to achieve some aspirations, but we’re committed to ensuring equality of opportunity and making sure our processes are fair and objective. We’ve recently commissioned an external specialist to conduct an EDI audit with a view to identifying opportunities to achieve greater equality, diversity and inclusion in our policies and processes. As part of this audit, The Equal Group would like to speak to colleagues representing different business areas to better understand experiences and views on D&I. If it’s something you’d be interested in, please get in touch as soon as possible so I can provide you with more information and arrange a time for you to speak with them. You can reach me at Sophie.Krempasky@sgn.co.uk

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work in

28 Apr 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Care for employee’s progression. Work life balance

Cons

Aging company. Need more ideas in dying industry

Employee Experience Coordinator

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your great review. We’re so pleased to hear you’ve had a positive progression experience with us – we really value our employees’ knowledge and skillset and want to support any development where possible! Now more than ever, we’re looking for new ideas to allow us to continue innovating and improving our processes. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, please get in touch with your manager and be sure to keep your eye on SGNapp this month! Thanks again for your review and hope you continue to stay safe and well.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Toxic place to work

19 May 2021 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

None at the time I left, it went downhill over a number of years

Cons

Horrendously cliquey, you have to be in with the gang with higher management and even then watch your back. Absolutely ruthless managers

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at SGN and I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t feel your time with us was overall positive. We hope you had the opportunity to discuss this with a member of our HR team before you left. If not, I would encourage you to get in touch with me confidentially so that we can understand, from your perspective, what we can do to improve the culture in your department. You can reach me on 07773 250780 or Sophie.Krempasky@sgn.co.uk.

6. 5.0

Good place

13 Apr 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice teams and decent pay

Cons

Your personal time ain’t yours

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your positive review. We agree that we have some great people working for us and are pleased to hear you’re satisfied with our compensation! We want to ensure that our colleagues overall have a good work/life balance whilst mitigating the risk of fatigue. We appreciate your feedback and hope you continue to enjoy your time working with us.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Money Matters More than Employee Moral

5 Jan 2021 - FCO in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, some good managers, good benefits

Cons

The company doesn't care too much about people working in the field and the positive reviews seem to be from those that are office based or management. Little thought is given to the work we undertake when operating in people's homes especially now that Covid is a major concern, everything seems profit-driven. Although the pay is good the hours do add up and you can work 16 hour days without a break and driving over 150 miles in a single day. Although the rota has changed it doesn't seem to benefit those that have to work it. Having worked here for a number of years I have never seen staff morale as low as it is now, nobody seems to care and critical things are being missed.

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Please be assured that we value all of our people and greatly appreciate everything you and your colleagues are doing during this extremely challenging time . We’ve listened to your concerns and, since posting your review, we’ve made some changes to our operational work, including temporarily suspending and flexing a number of work types. The safety and wellbeing of our people continues to be our absolute priority; if you haven’t already, make sure to check out the wellbeing eLearning package on People Portal. One of the clear messages is the importance of highlighting concerns and we’d strongly encourage you to get in touch with your manager or HR Manager about any safety-related concerns you might have. Many thanks for your feedback.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company but lack opp

21 Apr 2021 - Finance Business Partner in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people to work around Allows you to make mistake and learn from them

Cons

Political Leadership and management is not so diverse

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We agree that we have some great people working at SGN and are pleased to hear you’re able to learn and grow within your role. Job progression can be quite limited in some areas, but we’re committed to developing and progressing our employees where possible. Consider speaking to your manager about your aspirations and working on a development plan to help achieve your goals. We acknowledge that diversity in leader and management roles is limited and we’re working towards attracting diverse talent to work alongside the great people we already have. We recently commissioned an external specialist to conduct an EDI audit to identify opportunities to achieve greater equality, diversity, and inclusion. We’ll be building their recommendations into our D&I action plan which will help us accelerate progress in this area. Many thanks again for your review and your time working with us.

9. 5.0

SGN Review

27 Mar 2021 - Support Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

good work life balance at SGN.

Cons

Career progression has proved difficult

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Wellbeing and flexibility are areas we’re continually improving, especially during COVID-19, so it's great to hear you have a good work/life balance. If you’re finding that career progression is proving difficult consider speaking to your manager or HR Manager to find out what development opportunities are available, and how they might be able to support you. There are also some great resources on People Portal including an eLearning package on personal development plans and you’ll find a template for this on DigitalHub. We hope you’re staying safe and that your journey at SGN continues to be a positive one.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 141 Reviews