SGN Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated 23 Apr 2020

3.6
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 9 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours - but you're financially compensated very well(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pipeline Engineer"

Current Employee - Pipeline Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good Staff and working environment. Good benefits

Cons

Pay too low. Not much job progression.

May 12, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your insights. Job progression is normally an area where we get lots of positive feedback but we understand progression in some areas can be quite limited and it's not always possible to achieve some aspirations. I would encourage you to speak to your manager or HR Manager to find out what development opportunities are available and how they might be able to support you. Work with your manager to set clear objectives, aligned with supporting your development. Best of luck!

2. "Good company, some issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

November 6, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent review! As you highlighted in your review, there are lots of great things about working at SGN like the fantastic people, benefits and development opportunities but there are also lots of areas we need to improve in. Many of your concerns were highlighted in our recent employee opinion survey and our managers and leaders will be reviewing the feedback and exploring possible solutions to some of these in the months to follow.

3. "Gas"

Current Employee - Gas Operative in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good career opportunities

Cons

There is none so far I’ve only just started

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we really value employee feedback! It's great to hear that your experience so far has been positive and we hope you have a long and happy career at SGN.

4. "Stability and prospects"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress

Cons

Can be a who you know not what you know when it comes to promotions etc

March 13, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review and highlighting some of the great things about working for SGN. It’s disappointing to hear you don’t always feel promotions are awarded fairly but the work we’re doing to help our managers ensure inclusive recruitment and advancement processes should resolve this.

5. "A career in SGN"

5.0
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An exciting innovative Company moving forward with the changing legislation and technology. Provides a diverse range of career opportunities in many different processes/work streams. Excellent training, secure employment, good benefits, competitive pay, opportunities for progression based on ability and ambition

Cons

Operates a 24/7/365 Emergency service protecting life and property, so some relevant work streams are required to work a stand by rota on call for emergencies out of hours on a rota basis for gas escapes. Compensatory rest time applies if called out with generous associated pay

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. As you highlighted, there’s lots of great things about working for SGN and we’re working hard to make things even better. Like you mentioned, some of our roles do operate a standby rota and during the winter period, it can become particularly busy. In recognition of this we do pay enhancements for unsociable hours and we’re looking into how we can improve working hours during winter. We’ve made changes in some of our depots and we’ll be working with our TU colleagues to carry out a full review in 2019 with a view to making significant improvements next winter.

"A good company to work for"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly staff, study support, development opportunities.

Cons

There should be more flexibility on working hours

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for sharing your review with us. It’s so helpful for us to know what you consider to be our best bits and areas for improvement. We’re currently in the process of setting up a working group tasked with exploring how we can introduce more flexible working practices. It’ll take some time and a lot of work to make sure we get it right for our business and our people but we’re excited about the benefits it could bring. Hopefully we’ll have some updates to share on this front soon.

"The people make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely people, good working conditions, supportive manager. I'm based in Scotland and have been working with the company for just over three years. I have the opportunity to travel to other depots and offices which is great. There is a good benefits site with discounts for most of the high street retailers. There is also a great employee app which you can access from your own tablet/phone. Good opportunities for development/training if you ask for it, though it's difficult to find out what's on offer. Lots of opportunities for moving into other roles, especially in projects.

Cons

Outdated processes (inc HR) but these are being modernised, along with new technologies. Pace of change can be slow. Holiday allocation could be better - maybe increase your holiday allowance in line with length of service which a lot of other companies do.

September 6, 2017Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for leaving a review – we really appreciate your positive feedback. It’s great to hear that you’ve had a good experience of working at SGN and we fully agree about all the fantastic people who work here. Glad also to hear you feel we’re good at developing our people and offering opportunities to progress. As you’d mentioned, there are lots of positive changes going on in our HR team at the moment, including a few new faces which is bringing a fresh new perspective.

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension & death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity, however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

August 10, 2017Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New people at senior levels brings in different insights and improvements. We’re trying to modernise our HR practices, which includes things like flexible working. There are examples of job sharing, part-time working and compressed hours – it needs a willingness to try to do things differently. Being a geographical dispersed workplace means that some travel is inevitable but we’re hoping technology such as Office 365 will change the way we work, if we embrace the many benefits on offer. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours.

"Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Secure, professional, hardworking company, good benefits

Cons

A lot of change in roles but that's only because there is so many great opportunities for young people in the company

July 25, 2017Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. It sounds like you’ve received lots of support from your managers and that’s helping you move up the career ladder. As you’ll know, one of our values is 'putting people at the heart' and it’s good to hear your managers are putting this into practise. We absolutely agree, there are opportunities for hard-working colleagues that want to progress in the company. It’s important to develop and grow to be the best version of yourself and your feedback on this means a lot.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews