SGN Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 23 Nov 2019

3.4
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 9 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A job for life."

Current Employee - First Call Operative in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a grafter, can follow procedures & instructions, and eager to earn good money, this job is right up your street. Answer your phone when on call and you can expect £50k + per annum without even trying.

Cons

Long hours - but you're financially compensated very well. Core hours work life balance is good if you're satisfied with the basic salary. This is NOT a role for a lazy individual who wants to get paid for nothing.

SGN2019-11-23

November 26, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your views! The role of First Call Operative is incredibly important and we realise it can be demanding so it's important we compensate fairly for this. It's great to hear you consider SGN a job for life and we hope you enjoy a long and fulfilling career with us.

2. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good teams, high work morale.

Cons

Very long hours especially in the winter.

SGN2019-06-14

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for your rating and review! Winter is our busiest time which means the demand on our people can increase considerably. We want to make sure we strike a balance that works for our business and our people so we’re reviewing our arrangements for managing working time and fatigue in conjunction with our Trade Union representatives. It’s great to hear that you’ve got a great team and morale is high in Dundee! Thanks again for your review.

"Company making pay cut backs."

1.0
    Current Employee - FCO in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

SGN2019-07-20

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your views and giving us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. One of the commitments we’ve made to our customers involves delivering a service which offers value for money. This means we need to look at ways of working more efficiently and effectively but it doesn’t mean cutting pay for those carrying out the work. Our people are the heart of our business and we’re always looking at how we can improve things for our employees. The pay deal agreed in 2018 has seen considerable improvements in pay and other terms and conditions, e.g. sick pay and pension contributions for SGNC colleagues and will continue to provide benefits for the remainder of the deal. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our people about these changes. We know that our current IT infrastructure needs to be improved and we’ve embarked on an ambitious project to upgrade our network. The project team have been posting regular updates on SGNapp and DigitalHub so take a look here for the latest news. Also, we’re aware that some users have been experiencing performance issues with their tablets and plan to replace 2,200 tablets with brand new devices. The roll-out planned to start late-September and expected to take between four and five months with our field force being prioritised.

4. "Honest opinion"

4.0
    Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other staff get paid more for extra responsibility so i feel there is an unfair pay issue. Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months.

SGN2019-05-08

May 24, 2019Employee Experience Officer

The following response has been provided by Val Scott, HR Business Partner: Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. Like you pointed out in your review, we’ve got a lot to offer! A few of the improvements that you highlighted (discounted gym memberships and improved pension terms) were introduced as a result of employee feedback. We really value feedback and its ideas and suggestions like these that allow us to keep improving our employee offering. If you have concerns about your remuneration, I’d be happy to have a confidential discussion. You can contact me on val.scott@sgn.co.uk or my number is available on DigitalHub.

"Not pleasant"

2.0
    Former Employee - FCO in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay rate is ok

Cons

Bullying , old fashioned , stuck in its ways Long hours, not much progression

SGN2019-03-27

April 17, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. I hope you had the opportunity to tell us more about the less positive aspects of your employment in an exit interview before leaving. We take all claims of bullying seriously and welcome any feedback that will help us to improve. If you would like to get in touch confidentially, you can contact me on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk/07970 127 348. Wishing you all the best for the future.

"Working at SGN"

Current Employee - FCO in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been in the gas industry for around 32 years now,14 with SGN. Fantastic company to work for, salary is great,wirk is varied and interesting with a healthy outlook on safety in regards our workforce and the general public. Work hard,keep your nose clean and you will have a job for life with great opportunity's for advancement within different streams of the company. Great terms and conditions with a very forward looking CEO.

Cons

Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard .

SGN2018-11-12

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving such a positive review. The work our FCOs do is so important so it’s fantastic to hear how much you enjoy your role and working for SGN. We understand that our standby arrangements can have an impact on work-life balance and we’re working with our TU colleagues to explore how we might be able to make changes in this area.

"“Sweat the assets”"

1.0

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Variety of jobs and locations

Cons

Long hours average 20hr shifts on call, disciplined if missed a call due to asleep/fatigue. Bullying management methods. Go without mentality for tools/PPE having to wait months for new basic tooling etc.

SGN2018-11-14

December 11, 2018Employee Experience Officer

The following comments have been provided by one of our HR Business Partners: Thank you for your company review. We are working hard to minimise the impact of standby on working hours. Changes have been implemented in depots to help reduce hours worked this winter and additional checks have been implemented by the Control Centre to monitor hours worked. A thorough review will be undertaken in 2019 with our TU colleagues, with the aim of making significant improvements for next winter. You make reference to a bullying management style which is something we take very seriously. I would be grateful if you would get in touch so that we can discuss this further. You can reach me on 07836 755950 / iain.fourniss@sgn.co.uk

"Great company - long hours expected from managers"

Current Employee - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have worked for SGN for over 11 years. Love my job, the company does recognize hard work and opportunities are there if you are prepared to work for them. Diverse company (perhaps apart from the exec) and great people, the definition of team work should have a picture of my department next to the words, especially during the unexpected. The company does much work to engage its employees and has a range of benefits on offer.

Cons

Long, long hours, 12+hrs (unpaid) is normal in the winter, and it's necessary to answer emails at home to keep on top of the workload. Still a number (though thankfully getting less each year) of old "dinosaurs" within the company - who prefer to command and tell rather than explain the whys. Entry level wages for Range 2 no longer competitive and make the recruitment, selection and retention difficult.

SGN2017-07-23

July 25, 2017Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write a positive review and give us your feedback. We value all reviews - they help us understand areas that we can improve on. It’s refreshing to hear people talk about loving their job. I’m glad you think we do recognition well, it’s important to recognise hard work – we’ve got some amazing teams and individuals and we work well together, especially during a crisis. Schemes such as our SGN Way Awards, OPAs and customer-driven 10/10 cards are such good ways to say thanks to our hard working colleagues. You mentioned a lack of diversity amongst the Executive team and this is an area that has changed. We’ve made three external appointments this year - two are females, which is bringing a fresh perspective. Following some audits on diversity and inclusion we’ve been running recruitment best practice training and we’ve hired an Interim Recruitment Manager who is putting in place more inclusive processes. There are a few new faces in the HR team, our new Head of Talent and Development, Caroline Williams, has a focus on management and leadership development. This will help address some of the old style management styles you mention. There are lots of positive changes ahead. Finally you mentioned salary levels - we’re currently undertaking a benchmarking exercise to understand where we are placed against the external market. Compensation is always an emotive area and this exercise will give us some valuable insight. Thanks again for your feedback.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews