SMA Employee Reviews about "deployed"

Updated 18 Oct 2017

4.3
SMA President & Chief Executive Officer Ajay Patel
Ajay Patel
Pros
  • "Also despite being deployed by yourself or with a small group; SM&A's corporate office has always managed to keep me connected and feel supported(in 6 reviews)

• "Use of technology (TOD) to have easy process(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "In my opinion, there are no cons within the company itself(in 7 reviews)

• "Completion of all requirements for TOD can be very time-consuming for a senior-level applicant with a long career(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "deployed"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Outstanding tenure of growth and development"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SMA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SM&A fosters a company culture of continued personal and professional growth, with many available training and development opportunities to enhance one's ability to be (and stay) deployed. The headquarters office is great about sending out company and industry news, as well as postings for upcoming opportunities. Additionally, the TOD page is a great multi-functional tool in which you can update your latest important work accomplishments (the instant résumé generator is a cool feature), and you can customize your deployment preferences and availability.

Cons

The mobile TOD app currently has limited interactivity, but I understand that this is in the process of being updated, so looking forward to seeing upcoming changes

2. "Ten-Year Anniversary"

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SMA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Over the past ten-years, SM&A has offered a variety of opportunities and career growth. Having deployed to over 10 engagements, worked in sales, and at headquarters, one constant is interesting work, great people to work with who are passionate about their tradecraft, and an executive team that is committed to the success of the team.

Cons

The virtual nature of the organization can make it difficult to stay connected requiring the associate to be proactive about reaching out to their practice and leveraging the TOD App to get information about opportunities, news, and items of interest.

"Amazing Consulting Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SMA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staffed with the best and brightest talent, this company has the expert resources to help with any problem that you might come across. The small nature of the company allows for easy communication across levels. The company forward thinking takes advantage of technology to tie all deployed associates together. Every associate I have worked with has enhanced my knowledge and skill set in every area. The mentorship I have received has been unparalleled. A truly exceptional company to work with and for.

Cons

The deployed nature of the work can sometimes be tough. But, you do get to see different parts of the country.

March 23, 2017CEO and President

We do have a reputation in the Industry as providing the "best and brightest talent." We are glad you find communication positive since that has been an area of deliberate attention (thus, Glassdoor) We continue to use technology to improve knowledge, communication and coordination throughout the organization--See the Employee Knowledge Center, TOD smart phone app and associate portal. As you see by the various pictures we post, associates are located across the country--glad you have a positive attitude about the travel. Many Thanks! Ajay

"Amazing place to work with tons of growth opportunities"

Anonymous

I have been working at SMA

Pros

I have worked at SM&A nearly six years and have never had a better experience working for a company. The amount of mentorship and professional development I have received is unlike anything I have ever experienced. SM&A truly invests in their employees and compensates them for their efforts. I started off working at headquarters in operations support and received extensive training to allow me to become a deployed Associate working at a client site. And even with all the changes in life SM&A has continued to work with me after having my baby and allowing me to work part-time from home. SM&A has not treated me just as an employee, but instead made me feel so taken care of and more like family! I highly recommend anyone to work for SM&A. If you want to work for a company that invests in their people and provides insane career growth in a short period of time this is the place!

Cons

The only downside to working as a deployed Associate is the fact that you can be living out a suit case and be away from your loved ones for periods of time depending where and how long the engagement is. However, the pros working for SM&A far outweigh any cons!

March 24, 2017CEO and President

WOW! thank you for such a terrific review. Our primary concern is our associates and it is nice to hear you have had such a positive experience. Yes, travel can become tiresome. We publish tips on the Employee Knowledge Center. Regarding communication, that's why we reach out to associates via Glassdoor as well as now provide the TOD smart phone app and associate portal. Many Thanks!!! Ajay

"Returning associate!"

I have been working at SMA

Pros

SM&A offers the opportunity to engage with a broad set of clients; from supporting a major defense initiative for almost five years to now supporting a mid-sized commercial airplane supplier. Also despite being deployed by yourself or with a small group; SM&A's corporate office has always managed to keep me connected and feel supported.

Cons

The toughest aspect is the constant traveling/commuting between home and your work site.

October 26, 2016

Thank you so much for your input. We continue to strive to keep employees connected and supported: our new company app, TOD was designed for this very purpose. Look at all the new information (About us) on the app-Our Purpose, Values, Principles, Company News, etc. One of our key initiatives is to continue to grow our footprint throughout industry. Thanks Maureen Maureen.murphy@smawins.com

"Great resume/network builder, but don't expect raises or benefits"

Current Contractor - Associate in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SMA for more than 3 years

Pros

Unparalleled experiences and opportunities to substantially expand your professional network. The hourly rate is decent if they keep you deployed, but there is a significant risk of 1-2 months on the unpaid bench. Paid travels to a variety of client locations across the nation, which sometimes offers tax-free per diem while on the road.

Cons

No benefits, no raises, some management not trustworthy, unpaid bench time - experienced upwards of 2 months unpaid time between contracts, however recently they are getting better at building up the queue of opportunities. 100% travel

March 28, 2017CEO and President

Thanks for your comments. There have been significant improvements in the company since 2012. Most of your cons have been addressed. We have become a much more forward emphasis and trans parent company. Hope you've noticed the difference. Let me know if you have additional comments. Thanks! Ajay

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews