SThree Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 16 Nov 2020

3.4
SThree CEO Mark Dorman (no image)
Mark Dorman
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Wonderful Company to Work For"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at SThree full-time for more than a year

Pros

SThree is a company that genuinely cares about their employees. They make it first priority to keep their people happy and informed. They have world class training for entry-level consultants. This company also cares a lot about work/life balance.

Cons

Very low entry-level salaries - lower than competitors.

December 4, 2020Employer Branding

Thanks so much for your comments - hearing feedback like this is really helpful and allows us to look at ways to continually improve our business.

2. "n/a"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

Not applicable based on my experience

Cons

no true work life balance

September 14, 2020Employer Branding

Thank you for your feedback - it really helps us to understand how our people view our organisation. We recognise that in today's world, it's important to achieve a healthy work-life balance. I can assure you that we're constantly taking steps to improve flexibility in SThree and this is something we're taking very seriously.

3. "Rewards can be high but so is workload"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

Good material rewards and career progression

Cons

High pressure, laddish culture, low work/life balance

August 28, 2020Employer Branding

I'm so glad to hear about your experience with SThree. We recognise that in today's world, it's important to achieve a healthy work-life balance. I can assure you that we're constantly taking steps to improve flexibility in SThree and this is something we're taking very seriously. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

4. COVID-19

"Work at any other agency, you'll be better off"

1.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at SThree full-time for more than a year

Pros

SThree has (or had, the good guy was fired) a great learning and development program. They will hire people straight from college and train them. The New York City office is in a really good location - close to a lot of great lunch options, happy hour options, and easy to commute to. You can also work from other office locations. For example, if you want to go to Boston for a week or two, you can work from the Boston office so you can travel without using up PTO.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. The culture is TOXIC. I was told from my first week, "if you make this company money, you can pretty much do whatever you want." Top-billers aren't expected to follow day-to-day rules or fulfill their managerial obligations, but are also exempt from basic codes of conduct, which allowed top-billers to get away with sexual harassment and/or assault. This also means lower-billers (including new starters) aren't often given the resources, guidance, or respect they need outside of classroom learning associated with L&D. Furthermore, there is quite a bit of sexism associated with the company. If you are a young, attractive woman, higher-level directors/VPs will take weird interest in you and be overly-invested in your personal life and love life. Other than that, it is a boys' club. In terms of compensation, the base salaries and commission schemes are low. SThree brags about them being higher than industry standard, but that simply isn't true. There also aren't any rules, or at least followed rules, outlining who starts as an Associate vs a Recruitment Consultant (the two lowest level positions - Associate is technically for people without any recruiting experience, but there are consultants who also don't have any recruiting experience.) However, associates only make $40K annually while consultants make $45K - even this is on the low end. The commission scheme, which sits at around 10%, also isn't very incentivizing and doesn't offer the opportunity to stack deals for much higher percentages like other companies. SThree does offer exciting "incentive trips" multiple times a year, but basically all other agencies do this and don't have HR issues like SThree trips do (a VP was fired last year on SThree's Miami trip for punching a Recruitment consultant who called him out for hitting on a much younger woman in the company.) Technology - also isn't good! Internet is slow and constantly crashes. PCs are outdated. The system they use is Salesforce and it lags and isn't up to date. They also made a majority of employees work remotely with their own laptops during Covid - only provided company computers to top-billers. SThree also won't invest in enough LinkedIn licenses for every recruiter to have one, so you have to share the license with multiple other team member - meaning you could be mid-conversation with a candidate or client then suddenly have your recruiter license yanked. Work life balance? The hours are from 8-5:30. You will sign an offer saying the hours are 8-5, but you will be glared at and talked to if you leave before then. You also are expected to stay later than 5:30 and encouraged to come in on weekends. Management will try to shame you if you aren't working until 7:30. Work-life balance, family life, and social lives beyond socializing with coworkers is not respected or encouraged. Recruitment is hard and requires long hours, but there are agencies that respect their employees need to have a life outside of the office. SThree is not close to being one of these agencies. In terms of the actual recruitment, SThree has a terrible industry reputation. Clients would not speak to me because of my affiliation with SThree. I've had no issue working with or signing terms with the same clients since moving to a different agency. We were also encouraged to lie to candidates about whether we submitted them to roles, as well as the progress of these roles. You don't have to lie to candidates to be a good recruiter. If you have an offer literally anywhere else, take it. You will not be better off at SThree.

September 17, 2020Employer Branding

Thank you for raising these issues with us. We’re taking the allegations you’ve made really seriously and are investigating the situation thoroughly. We’ll reply in full once we have all the information. If you’d like to speak to us in the meantime, please get in touch with comments@sthree.com

5. "No diversification at management level"

Former Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SThree full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salaries above market and good work/life balance

Cons

Too slow to apply innovations

June 9, 2020Employer Branding

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments which will help us make positive changes to our business.

6. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SThree full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance work from home benefits

Cons

no growth not micromanaged but if you make a mistake, its your fault only

January 17, 2020Employer Branding

Thanks for your feedback. At SThree, we're currently in the process of refining many of our global processes. One of the biggest things we're currently focusing on is our leadership programme. Our learning and development team are taking a close look at the leadership programmes we have in place, to see how we can make improvements to offer an excellent people experience across our global business.

7. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SThree full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance, holidays, collaborative work culture

Cons

lack of engagement frim business heads

November 19, 2019Employer Branding

Thanks so much for your feedback - I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying your experience with SThree!

8. "Great office, excellent training and support"

I worked at SThree full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was very fortunate to work for a great manager at SThree in San Francisco who did an incredible job in providing me with recruitment and career skills that will set me up for life. The office was a lot of fun and the people were generally super nice. It is the perfect place to learn new skills right out of college, and despite what I have seen in some other reviews, I would say there is definitely a really decent work/life balance.

Cons

I would not have left my job at SThree if I were paid a reasonable “market rate” salary. Unfortunately I was unable to make the low base salary work.

June 11, 2019Employer Branding

I'm so glad to hear about your experience with SThree - thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. At SThree, we're committed to ensuring our people are given the tools to succeed and really excel in their career - so it's great to hear you're feeling supported! We are always thinking about how we can build upon our training, with the addition of numerous new courses across our global business. We understand that the key to success is the development of all our people and this is a huge investment for us. Thanks for sharing your comments with us, this really does help us to make SThree a great place to work!

9. "Contract Coordination"

Former Employee - Contract Coordinator in London, England

I worked at SThree full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice team Great management

Cons

Trainings Overtime at month ends and Qends (Work-life balance)

June 11, 2019Employer Branding

10. "SThree"

5.0

I have been working at SThree full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere, great opportunities, great benefits, opportunity to rise to senior management as growth is in house.

Cons

Not the best work life balance, the culture wasn't the best but they are continually trying to improve on that.

August 31, 2018Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear we're not all that you hoped for but it's good that you are seeing progress. Please don't hesitate to talk to your manager or HRBP to see how we can help improve your work life balance and develop the work environment you aspire to. All the best

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews