Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated 10 May 2021

3.2
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Gil Heyun Choi (no image)
Gil Heyun Choi
Pros
Cons
  • "being a 24/7 manufacturing site, it can be hard to maintain a good work life balance sometimes(in 92 reviews)

• "SAS is very top heavy with most of the senior execs unable to enact any changes due to their lack of power because Korea maintains it all(in 61 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Manager"

5.0
    Current Employee - Samsung Experience Consultant in Chennai

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Good company good salary good management

Cons

Stress no balance odd timmings too much pressure

2. "Good Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Calcutta

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

No cons everyone is helpful

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Name looks good in resume

Cons

When the bosses are always looking to fire what can you expect ?

4. "Good"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor part-time

Pros

Very good and very excellent company

Cons

Not good and treating wise is not good

5. "Good"

2.0

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Better to work at there

Cons

No bad issue about company

6. "Very Good Company"

4.0

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Perfect work life balance Excellent learning for a junior member

Cons

Not much to learn if you are a senior member

7. "Place for Individual who are committed to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn at SAS. Roles and Responsibilities are fluid in many cases which creates pathways to special projects, tiger teams, improvement and integration teams, as well as cultural development and human capital teams. You can learn and take on as much as you want. It is exceptionally fasted paced and the demand for results is a constant driver however the rewards are high and the experienced gain is unmatched.

Cons

It is easy for leadership to forget the human side of the equation. The pace of SAS has always been one of speed and agility however as the company has grown, the mass the staff is required to burden to achieve that speed and agility becomes easily unbalanced. SAS is a place for those who like to work and work hard. If you want a work life balance, I would recommend working for a less challenging and easier company. Like any big company there is a place for mediocre people which causes contention between the teams who carry the company and the teams who leach off the company. Be prepared for the US vs THEM infighting between those teams.

Continue reading

"Good Resume Builder. Bad Place To Stay"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a good company to have on your resume, and your contribution to the company is heavily reliant on your department position. Decent stop gap until you find something else.

Cons

First off, all of the systems and processes are extremely outdated and the software is a nightmare to use as its all made in-house...You’d think “in-house” means software customized to business needs, but you’d be wrong. Every software and business process is rolled out from Korea with almost no flexibility to alter anything - so you end up working through a quagmire with every single task in your day to day 1950’s job. Eventually you get used to it, but you’ll notice the quality, organization and documentation of your work is negatively impacted on a day to day basis. The promotion cycle is horrendous and extremely unfair. Way too much bias and self promotion among management. Managers eat first. Always. Other than that, the workplace is fine if you like a 1950’s culture with a top down management approach that has zero emphasis on innovation or work life balance. I could continue, but you get the point.

9. "I like it here."

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Access to a ton of learning resources. Good benefits. Awesome, and growing city. Diverse workforce in terms of race, age, gender, sexuality, etc. Overall the culture, campus, management, etc. have all improved (drastically in some ways) over the past decade.

Cons

Your experience at SAS largely depends on who your direct supervisor is. If this person is making you have a crappy time, it can be really hard to deal with. This is not something exclusive to Samsung though. Many companies deal with the same or similar.

Continue reading

"Do Your Research Before Accepting an Offer!"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some positive takeaways from this position were knowledgable individuals (not many) that I have stayed in touch with as professional contacts, and any possible, if any, street cred from having Samsung on my resume.

Cons

I am writing this not to give you a list of things that were wrong about this company, but to highly encourage you to do your research if you are considering a position here as a young (recent college grad or <5 years of professional experience), because this experience is near unanimous amongst myself and everyone I know in my predicament (young engineer with <5 years experience). The mismanagement from both leadership and HR easily crosses the line of abuse, opportunities for professional advancement are scarce and totally uncorrelated to performance, and the quality of work is so low that your skillset will not improve over time to prime you for your next role, whether that be with this company, another one, or additional schoolwork. Again, I am saying this to encourage you to get some honest information about what you are getting in to before considering a position here. Some suggestions are to reach out to current employees via LinkedIn with a cold email asking for mentorship or advice, or connect with someone who is already in your network and has experience with this company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 667 Reviews